What new technologies woul dyou like to see HAL use?

RMLincoln

I agree with Ruth on this one. I like having a break from high tech and I really don't need to spend more time with my face in front of a TV or computer display. Bring on the old school classy service for my cruise.

My hi-tech vote would be for ship web cams that we can watch while we are not cruising.

igraf

Ditto that from DH and I :D

Royal Caribbean ships have large, touch-screen monitors at each elevator lobby where you can see the day's schedule of activities and meeting places. There is also a "Map It" feature that shows you how to get to a venue from your present location. Very helpful.

Heheheheee ... the "Map-it" feature also helps you find a public restroom quick :D:D

I agree with Ruth on this one. I like having a break from high tech and I really don't need to spend more time with my face in front of a TV or computer display. Bring on the old school classy service for my cruise.

My hi-tech vote would be for ship web cams that we can watch while we are not cruising.

igraf

totally agree

For starters an interactive tv to check accounts, make reservations for alternative restaurants and excursions, order room service and movies that automatically come on your tv without a dvd, report cabin problems, etc. Anyone who prefers to go down to the front desk is of course free to do so and probably stand on line or hold on the phone and hope your room service was taken correctly. Other cruise lines have had this technology for years. ;)

This exactly!

For starters an interactive tv to check accounts, make reservations for alternative restaurants and excursions, order room service and movies that automatically come on your tv without a dvd, report cabin problems, etc. Anyone who prefers to go down to the front desk is of course free to do so and probably stand on line or hold on the phone and hope your room service was taken correctly. Other cruise lines have had this technology for years. ;)

Totally agree.

Yes. HAL may think that interactive tv is new technology but it is actually at least five years old on cruise ships and much longer in hotel environments.

So perhaps one day on the new ships HAL will actually get around to implementing this 'old technology'

Amen Ruth C. I go on vacation to get away from technology. I spend all day at work on a computer and don't want to see one when I am on vacation.

I see your point. So, for those who don't want to use in-room access, it is still available to you to get your account updates at the front desk, sign up for shore excursions at the shore excursion desk, call room service from your room phone etc.

And the front desk lines and shore excursion lines will likely be shorter because others choose to do some of these things from their rooms. :)

I think it's a win-win. m--

Yes. HAL may think that interactive tv is new technology but it is actually at least five years old on cruise ships and much longer in hotel environments.

My first experience with interactive TVs on a cruise was on Voyager of the Seas in December, 1999. Yep, that's just over 15 years. That's how far behind HAL has fallen.

Amen Ruth C. I go on vacation to get away from technology. I spend all day at work on a computer and don't want to see one when I am on vacation.

That's a bit silly -- like saying you have a bed at home, so why would you need one on vacation..... Or you have to read reports all day at work, so you don't want to see anything printed while you are on vacation. :confused:

BTW, the ship couldn't sail without some pretty sophisticated 'technology', so if you want to avoid it, you will be out of luck on a cruise ship. :D

I am aware that ships need technology to run. The OP of this thread asked what new technology we would like to see. My opinion is that I don't want to see any new technology. I'm sorry if you don't agree with it, but that is my opinion. You don't have get snarky about it!

I am aware that ships need technology to run. The OP of this thread asked what new technology we would like to see. My opinion is that I don't want to see any new technology. I'm sorry if you don't agree with it, but that is my opinion. You don't have get snarky about it!

Sorry, I didn't mean to be snarky. My intro could have been phrased better, I admit. :o That will teach me to post when I am hungry and cranky.

I am actually honestly curious why some people think having new technology is a bad thing. I don't mean people talking disruptively on their cell phones in the dining room or other public areas -- that's not the fault of technology, that's just bad manners.

But it's hard for me to imagine that having something like the technology to select and register for shore excursions from one's own cabin could be a minus for anyone. Are people honestly saying they would rather wait in a line that can sometimes take more than 30-45 minutes? (Especially if the manned desk is still available for those who want to use it?) Wouldn't it be helpful for those -- as an example -- who find it difficult to stand for long periods of time?

What is the downside?

Shore excursions can be booked online for several months before sailing. Why wait and do it on an interactive tv in your cabin when you could be doing other activities even if it is just admiring the view of the sea:confused::confused:

After our multi-cruise company trip through Europe in the fall, finishing up on Maasdam Rome to Ft Lauderdale, I had to 'sigh' about HAL's lack of 21st century technology.

Here are a few things I would like to see them upgrade to [and where I've enjoyed these technologies]:

• Face recognition photo kiosks that you access with your room card [Celebrity]
  • Interactive room TVs that have your account info, menus, shore excursions, movies, weather forecasts for one's itinerary stops [Viking]
  • Real WiFi, free [Hurtigruten, Viking] or at least part of the loyalty rewards program [Princess]

m--

My favoriete would be free WiFi.

I would also like more power outlets in the cabins and the virtual balcony of Royal Caribbean.

Edited by Chris Holland

I am actually honestly curious why some people think having new technology is a bad thing.

What is the downside?

For me it's usually that when new technology is brought in the old is replaced.

The example of the post-cruise surveys is perfect for this. HAL had been doing them on paper at the end of the cruise, while you were still on the ship. Now they do them all online after you're home. At that point it's impossible to check the names of people you want to single out (for whatever reason), which is a big problem for me. I don't like to keep pen & paper with me all the time on the cruise to write down people's names, if for no other reason than it just looks creepy. Also, there is no option other than getting the survey emailed to you. I know, I asked several times. Even if you want a paper survey, the option is to have that emailed to you and you print it out and mail it back to HAL.

I am afraid if HAL puts some of the new technology suggested here into use, they will take away any option for other ways and remove the human interaction.

For what it's worth, even when the lines at the front desk and/or shore excursions desk have been long, I have never waited more than 20 minutes. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't really see that as a big wait or a big problem.

But it's hard for me to imagine that having something like the technology to select and register for shore excursions from one's own cabin could be a minus for anyone. Are people honestly saying they would rather wait in a line that can sometimes take more than 30-45 minutes? (Especially if the manned desk is still available for those who want to use it?) Wouldn't it be helpful for those -- as an example -- who find it difficult to stand for long periods of time?

What is the downside?

My take reading this thread was that the majority of HAL CC posters are in favor of the interactive TVs in the cabin ... but ... the majority don't seem to care about big wifi changes unless they need it for doing work while on their cruise. The greatest "fear" seems to be that cell phones/ tablets etc will take over for human interactions in ways similar to what I described in an earlier post of mine on this thread.

Of course there are exceptions - this was just my perception of the general reaction from my reading:)

Sorry, I didn't mean to be snarky. My intro could have been phrased better, I admit. :o That will teach me to post when I am hungry and cranky.

I am actually honestly curious why some people think having new technology is a bad thing. I don't mean people talking disruptively on their cell phones in the dining room or other public areas -- that's not the fault of technology, that's just bad manners.

What is the downside?

Why would you actually stand in line to book a shorex? All you have to do is fill in the paper or visit one of their kiosks. Super easy. I see some people mentioning celebrity. It's a good thing you can do so much on your tv because you wait forever at the front desk for anything.

The example of the post-cruise surveys is perfect for this. HAL had been doing them on paper at the end of the cruise, while you were still on the ship. Now they do them all online after you're home. At that point it's impossible to check the names of people you want to single out (for whatever reason), which is a big problem for me. I don't like to keep pen & paper with me all the time on the cruise to write down people's names, if for no other reason than it just looks creepy. Also, there is no option other than getting the survey emailed to you. I know, I asked several times. Even if you want a paper survey, the option is to have that emailed to you and you print it out and mail it back to HAL.

I am afraid if HAL puts some of the new technology suggested here into use, they will take away any option for other ways and remove the human interaction.

For what it's worth, even when the lines at the front desk and/or shore excursions desk have been long, I have never waited more than 20 minutes. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't really see that as a big wait or a big problem.

I like the online survey. I'm not sure why writing names down is creepy unless you show your list to everyone. I either remember them or write them down in my cabin. The last thing I want to do is fill in paperwork manually while I'm trying to pack when I can do it while I'm at the airport or waiting to check into my room.

Royal Caribbean ships have large, touch-screen monitors at each elevator lobby where you can see the day's schedule of activities and meeting places. There is also a "Map It" feature that shows you how to get to a venue from your present location. Very helpful.

Norwegian does this with the Breakaway class. They have large touch screens all over the ship. You insert your stateroom card in a slot at the bottom, and can reserve everything from excursions, shows, and make dining reservations. They also will make spa appointments and display ship maps. IMHO these (or something like it) should be installed on the vista class (and up)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not like the online survey and I have mentioned this to HAL many times, on the phone to customer service, in person to the ladies at the front desk, and in my survey comments. My complaints and displeasure have fallen on deaf ears, which I suspect is the fate of my online survey comments in general. I do not like not having a paper option. I find writing down names cumbersome and a bit creepy and stalkerish. I can feel that way. It means I have to have paper & pencil with me all the time, in clothing that does not have pockets. Why should I be forced to carry around stuff I can lose or misplace just because HAL thinks the online survey is a better option?

It's wonderful that other people like the online surveys. Why can't I have a paper option? Who is it hurting to have both? I still write actual letters with an actual fountain pen that I have to fill with real liquid ink and I mail those letters in person at a post office. Why must I be forced to use a system I don't like to tell HAL what I did like? It makes me very hostile and angry about the whole thing. Additionally, the paper surveys could be filled in in fits and starts, while the online survey MUST be filled in completely all in one go. That's at least 40 minutes of time I have to set aside to be in front of a computer. The paper surveys gave me the option of a few minutes here and a few there.

I have a right to not like it. I have a right to wonder why I can't have a paper survey. I have a right to my opinion that the introduction of "new technologies" is not as great as the old technologies that are replaced. And I have a right to fear that the introduction of new technologies will mean more thing that I do like will be enlaced by thinks that I do not like, with no other option.

I find writing down names cumbersome and a bit creepy and stalkerish. I can feel that way. It means I have to have paper & pencil with me all the time, in clothing that does not have pockets. Why should I be forced to carry around stuff I can lose or misplace just because HAL thinks the online survey is a better option?

Given that the paper survey was distributed on the second-to-last or last day, didn't you have to write down names anyway so you wouldn't forget them? :confused:

I guess I just don't encounter service that's either off-the-charts great or off-the-charts terrible enough that I feel as if I'd have to schlep around a notepad and a pen to capture those rare interactions. That's why I stopped taking the paper survey when it was still distributed that way; I wasn't going to spend my valuable vacation time providing HAL with 9's and other comments. (And actually, I rarely chose 9 on the scale; I didn't like to be told to choose only that number or they would consider it failure.)

Okay, I can see that being a valid concern. I'd imagine the cruiseline's thinking would be "Gee, we only need one person with limited hours at the actual desk because people have other options...."

Why would you actually stand in line to book a shorex? All you have to do is fill in the paper or visit one of their kiosks. Super easy. I see some people mentioning celebrity. It's a good thing you can do so much on your tv because you wait forever at the front desk for anything.

I don't recall the kiosks being an option last time I cruised....but honestly I don't take a lot of ship excursions anyway. I am just recalling the line I had to stand in on my Med cruise to book an excursion when the last option I had for a private tour of a (rarely visited) port in Turkey fell through. It wasn't pretty -- I'm sure it was 45 minutes if not longer.

I don't recall the kiosks being an option last time I cruised....but honestly I don't take a lot of ship excursions anyway. I am just recalling the line I had to stand in on my Med cruise to book an excursion when the last option I had for a private tour of a (rarely visited) port in Turkey fell through. It wasn't pretty -- I'm sure it was 45 minutes if not longer.

They may not have them on all ships. That said, I don't understand why you didn't just fill in the paperwork and drop it in the drop box. Why wait?

Transparent aluminum, diuranium, and quaduadinal tri-wifi.

Also calorie free chocolate donuts.

Amen to that!!

Seriously though :), I think technology can be wonderful for those who would like to use it. I really liked being able to check our bill on the tv on our Celebrity Cruise, mainly because they made so many errors, we could keep on top of them (never cruising Celebrity again!!)....

I would love the option to purchase a few minutes of wifi that actually works. I have no need for continuous connectivity, but an occasional email would be great.

Cheers!

Why would you actually stand in line to book a shorex?

Because you have questions, and need to discuss the shore excursion in more detail before you commit to booking it. Sometimes a shore excursion that looks appropriate on paper, is not when you learn more about it.

Happens to me all the time. I book on line in advance, then go to discuss my choices shortly after I board. More than once I've had to change plans as my careful first choice really is not suitable after all.