Infant Cruise - Sanitize Bottles

kb2swc

We will be cruising on Independence of the Seas on February 8th. This will be our ninth cruise for the wife and I - All Royal Caribbean.

This year we are bringing our 10 month old daughter with us and one of the questions I hope someone can answer and or confirm is bringing a bottle sanitizer on board with us for sanitizing her bottles. The sanitizer just produces steam to sanitize.

We have called Royal Caribbean and were told that Yes – we can bring. I am going to call one more time to confirm. (as in the past you sometimes get 2 different answers depending on who you talk to).

Anyway – hoping someone here may have done so in the past and can

confirm. I find it odd they won’t allow a hair dryer, but would allow a bottle sanitizer that gets hot enough to produce steam.

Thanks,

Jerry

I would say you are good. Here is the list of prohibited items. BTW hair dryers are allowed to be brought on board.

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Aerial Drones

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.

HAM Radios

Electrical Extension Cords

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I would say you are good. Here is the list of prohibited items. BTW hair dryers are allowed to be brought on board.

Thanks for the reply! For some reason I had it in my head no hair dryers.

We will be cruising on Independence of the Seas on February 8th. This will be our ninth cruise for the wife and I - All Royal Caribbean.

This year we are bringing our 10 month old daughter with us and one of the questions I hope someone can answer and or confirm is bringing a bottle sanitizer on board with us for sanitizing her bottles. The sanitizer just produces steam to sanitize.

We have called Royal Caribbean and were told that Yes – we can bring. I am going to call one more time to confirm. (as in the past you sometimes get 2 different answers depending on who you talk to).

confirm. I find it odd they won’t allow a hair dryer, but would allow a bottle sanitizer that gets hot enough to produce steam.

Thanks,

Jerry

There are sterilizing tablets/liquid sanitizers you can buy as well. I know when I brew beer this is what I use to sanitize any surface the beer is going to touch and it is non-toxic.

Thanks,

Jerry

Hair dryers are allowed.

Instead of bringing along an extra appliance (thinking luggage, weight, need to plug in, etc.) Have you considered using the disposable bottle liners for a week - might save a lot on room, convenience, etc. Just a suggestion.

I used to use disposable liners in bottles. Usually by 10 months, the need for sanitizing other than washing in hot soapy water is not needed, but every baby is different. (For us older people, our parents only handwashed bottles :D)

Agreed!! We use the drop in liners for my 11 month old and they are so convenient! Especially when traveling since you only need to bring 2 bottles vs half a dozen of the normal kind. Unless your baby is immunocompromised there is no need to sterilise past 6m :)

Edited by thecakebox

Agreed!! We use the drop in liners for my 11 month old and they are so convenient! Especially when traveling since you only need to bring 2 bottles vs half a dozen of the normal kind. Unless your baby is immunocompromised there is no need to sterilise past 6m :)

There is actually no need to sterilize at all, at ANY age, unless immunocompromised.

I agree, call and call again to check. I was under the impression anything with a heating element is confiscated or held till the cruise is over. I had a clothing steamer held back and I was in the naughty room with that and overheard a young couple trying to convince security they needed something for the baby that had a heating element. So - pls check and have a plan B - just in case.

After 6 mos, you do NOT need to "sanitize" anything Your child will be mobile and putting everything in their mouths! Wash the bottles, but you don't need sterile conditions. If you do...stay at home. There is NOTHNG sterile about a cruise ship!

If you are "too"careful, you will compromise your child's immune system.....Have you ever hear the saying...."You must eat a peck of dirt before you die"? Well, while disgusting, dirt is helpful to you...do not be too clean, or your child will develop allergies and such.

Wash the bottles...be done with it!

Edited by cb at sea

I cruised with my then 9 month-old and just brought a small squeeze bottle of dish soap and a bottle brush and washed bottles in the bathroom sink. I agree with other posters who say to leave the bottle sanitizer at home-what if they don't let it on? Then you are SOL. I doubt you would be bringing an infant with chronic medical conditions/compromised immune system on a cruise ship, so I vote to leave it at home. I will say to bring more infant formula and diapers then you think you will need-it is difficult to find in ports and they may not carry your brand, etc. if you do find it (been there, done that)!

Hi. We have been cruising with our kids since they were both 6 months old. When they were infants we were actually able to use the water & dish soap we brought in our stateroom to sanitize. If you let the hot tap water "warm up" it is literally almost boiling. Mathis worked fine for us. Also the water in the carafs to make tea or hot chocolate work well when you're out and about.

We LOVED cruising with them at that age (now 5 & 3), have a great time and enjoy! We utilized the nursery some evenings and they are awesome, seemed to really love our kids. Feel free to any other questions.

Edited by FMZ

Thank you all for the feedback! The reason we wanted to bring the sanitizer is, on past cruises there has been times when the water has come out brownish and we just wanted to make sure after washing the bottles that they were safe for our child to drink from (as we aren't sure what causes the brown water). She is a healthy baby so there is no concern there. We are going to look into getting bottles with liners! Thanks again everyone!

I used to use disposable liners in bottles. Usually by 10 months, the need for sanitizing other than washing in hot soapy water is not needed, but every baby is different. (For us older people, our parents only handwashed bottles :D)

Our pediatrician told me, tongue in cheek:

For the first baby, sterilize everything

For the second baby, wash everything in hot soapy water

For the rest of the babies, rinse everything off :)

Just wash with soap and hot water... I have 2 young kids (1 who still uses a bottle) and have never sterilized a bottle. It's kinda pointless. They either got washed with soap and water or went into the dishwasher. To each his own but just saying it's one less thing to lug on board!!!

I have to agree with several of the above posts. Unless your baby has issues that we are not aware of, there really is no need to steam/sterilize bottles, especially when the baby is nearly a year old. Not trying to lecture just trying to suggest something that might make your traveling/cruise a little easier for you. Check with your pediatrician and see what he/she thinks and have a wonderful cruise! :)