Anxious about valuables getting waterlogged

Happy jacc

Sailing Meditarranean on Equinox in August.

Virgin cruisers.

I have read on many threads that some kind of waterproof item is needed for cameras, Phones and valuables while in port, and intending to swim.

If we go to the beach here, we just leave our gear, in a beag on the shore.

Excuse my naivety but can't this be done elsewhere in the world?

Or is it too unsafe?

I have great anxiety considering submerging my phone, with all its contacts, underwater: regardless of the casing I have enclosed it in.

Appreciate any advice.

Jules

Or is it too unsafe?

We do the same and have never had a problem. But then we've been to Rome and not had anyone try to pick our pockets so maybe we just look like we don't have anything of value.

Virgin cruisers.

I have read on many threads that some kind of waterproof item is needed for cameras, Phones and valuables while in port, and intending to swim.

Or is it too unsafe?

I have great anxiety considering submerging my phone, with all its contacts, underwater: regardless of the casing I have enclosed it in.

Appreciate any advice.

Jules

Jules - Why would you take valuables with you to the beach? Sort of like wearing expensive jewelry walking around Buenos Aires or flashing a wad of money in Rome or any large city. Why. Going ashore I take a camera - usually a cheaper one, my cruise pass and a credit card with a picture as an ID.

It can be done at your own risk. Anytime you leave your things unattended, you risk them being stolen, anywhere. Your risk varies by where you are, use common sense! At crowded beaches, you may be able to have a neighbor watch your stuff for a short time - I will sometimes just swim with my money clip (just 2 credit cards, driver's license, cruise card, and some cash in it) in a ziploc baggie.

I've also brought and used ziploc to protect phone and wallet in general when there's a risk of rain or water damage. In fact, an iphone can be operated through a ziploc (I recommend that you avoid submerging, but it's great for basic splash protection - good for checking email while hanging out IN a pool - and no, not when I was on vacation, just home in the backyard).

Not that many places for beach going in the Med!! Maybe the Greek Isles, but I really can't think of any other place where the beach was a logical option. . .

On the way back from a visit to Monte Carlo, we took a quick dip in Villefranche before hopping in the tender back to the ship. It was lovely!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Virgin cruisers.

Or is it too unsafe?

Appreciate any advice.

Jules

I bought a waterproof case years ago (its a blue canvas-like fabric with plastic interior, about 5 x 5 and has a clip so you can clip to bathing suit). I also have a hard case one that is smaller (could hold credit cards and cash, but no phone or camera). I have used both many times in the Caribbean and they always worked really well. Never once got water in it! I was skeptical at first too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

There are some great, inexpensive waterproof pouches with a lanyard or clip on amazon. We got some to use at Disney world. The couple times it rained our phones/cameras stayed nice and dry and we had full use of all functions on the phone while in the pouch. You could use these for swimming also.

I would NEVER take anything expensive to a place where I might have to "leave" it. To the beach, I take a credit card (not the one linked to the ship's account", about $40 in cash...a book (paperback), and my crappy beach clothes...no on wants them!

Only take what you're willing to lose. If you do that, you will lose NOTHING! Your cash, credit card and ship's card CAN get wet...water doesn't hurt them!

Edited by cb at sea

...Your cash, credit card and ship's card CAN get wet...water doesn't hurt them!

Although if you're going in a sulfur spring the cash may never quite be the same ;)

I learned that by experience in Dominica. Sad to say, I also had a ziploc baggie in the same pocket but alas, the money clip was not inside said baggie. :rolleyes:

It all depends on your comfort level. For us we have no issues leaving our camera and belongings on shore while we take a dip. We have done this all over North America, Mediterranean, Scandinavia, caribbean and shortly Australia and French Polynesia. Like a poster said earlier if your concerned keep your ship card, money and credit in a pocket while you swim.

Welcome to cruising and cruise critic, don't get discouraged with the various complaints you may see on this site.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not that many places for beach going in the Med!! Maybe the Greek Isles, but I really can't think of any other place where the beach was a logical option. . .

:eek: I'm speechless, I'm off to Malaga Spain for 2 weeks Sunday and the whole of that coast (del Sol) is full of beaches, and that's just a small part of the Med coast with a Cruise port, the Med is crammed with beaches.

We've never swam in the Med but that is just because we're there to do other things. We've seen some very nice beaches although none that would compare with the Caribbean. Of course we haven't gone looking for beaches in the Med either as we usually stick with inland sight seeing.

When we're in the Caribbean I keep our cash, credit cards and ship cards in a waterproof case called the Dry Pak Alligator Wallet. I've tried various brands and styles and this is the only one I've ever had that didn't leak at all, even when I took it 15 or 20 feet underwater while snorkeling. It is inexpensive and highly recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/DRY-DP-44-Alligator-Waterproof-Wallet/dp/B000BJ7WHE/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1422620671&sr=1-5&keywords=dry+pak&pebp=1422620679330&peasin=B000BJ7WHE

The same company makes models for cell phones but I've never tried those.

I also either don't take my camera or take it into the water with me. For snorkeling I've taken a small camera in a special marine case designed for diving. These cases are relatively expensive starting at $150+ for just the case depending on the camera. For just swimming I have a less expensive case I use for a nicer camera but I'm not sure I would trust it for taking more than a couple feet underwater: The brand is Dicapack and the run $15 to $60 online depending on the camera.

The only stuff we leave on the beach is a bag with our towels, cover up clothing, and other beach sundry items like a book and sunscreen.

If we ever went swimming on the Med I'd do the same.

Edited by Lsimon

:eek: I'm speechless, I'm off to Malaga Spain for 2 weeks Sunday and the whole of that coast (del Sol) is full of beaches, and that's just a small part of the Med coast with a Cruise port, the Med is crammed with beaches.

Yes, you're right, I wasn't thinking about Spain. I guess I go on a Med cruise for other pursuits, I go to the Caribbean if I want a beach-based cruise. In many Med cruises over my life, I think I got in the water in Mykonos once.

Normally I am thinking incredible history and art when I am in the Med and the thought of sunbathing never occurs to me when ther is so much to see and do.

In your case, with a two week land trip apparently, and not a one day port stop, the beaches are a logical destination!;)

I agree, I would not leave anything of value unattended on a public beach anywhere in the world. When we go to a beach on a cruise we do not take our phone, camera, or valuables. The only camera we take is an underwater camera.

So what do you do with your sea passes and if you want money to spend?

Jules

Jules - Why would you take valuables with you to the beach? Sort of like wearing expensive jewelry walking around Buenos Aires or flashing a wad of money in Rome or any large city. Why. Going ashore I take a camera - usually a cheaper one, my cruise pass and a credit card with a picture as an ID.

That's about all I was talkng about, but if you swim, where do these belongings go?

Jules

It can be done at your own risk. Anytime you leave your things unattended, you risk them being stolen, anywhere. Your risk varies by where you are, use common sense! At crowded beaches, you may be able to have a neighbor watch your stuff for a short time - I will sometimes just swim with my money clip (just 2 credit cards, driver's license, cruise card, and some cash in it) in a ziploc baggie.

I've also brought and used ziploc to protect phone and wallet in general when there's a risk of rain or water damage. In fact, an iphone can be operated through a ziploc (I recommend that you avoid submerging, but it's great for basic splash protection - good for checking email while hanging out IN a pool - and no, not when I was on vacation, just home in the backyard).

Ziploc bag may do the trick then....

Thanks for the thought.

Jules

It all depends on your comfort level. For us we have no issues leaving our camera and belongings on shore while we take a dip. We have done this all over North America, Mediterranean, Scandinavia, caribbean and shortly Australia and French Polynesia. Like a poster said earlier if your concerned keep your ship card, money and credit in a pocket while you swim.

Welcome to cruising and cruise critic, don't get discouraged with the various complaints you may see on this site.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Sawyerboy.

I have never had an issue anywhere in Aus, and have dipped my toes in many places here. I dont have a waterproof camera, and usually like to take a few photos.

Jules

We've never swam in the Med but that is just because we're there to do other things. We've seen some very nice beaches although none that would compare with the Caribbean. Of course we haven't gone looking for beaches in the Med either as we usually stick with inland sight seeing.

When we're in the Caribbean I keep our cash, credit cards and ship cards in a waterproof case called the Dry Pak Alligator Wallet. I've tried various brands and styles and this is the only one I've ever had that didn't leak at all, even when I took it 15 or 20 feet underwater while snorkeling. It is inexpensive and highly recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/DRY-DP-44-Alligator-Waterproof-Wallet/dp/B000BJ7WHE/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1422620671&sr=1-5&keywords=dry+pak&pebp=1422620679330&peasin=B000BJ7WHE

The same company makes models for cell phones but I've never tried those.

I also either don't take my camera or take it into the water with me. For snorkeling I've taken a small camera in a special marine case designed for diving. These cases are relatively expensive starting at $150+ for just the case depending on the camera. For just swimming I have a less expensive case I use for a nicer camera but I'm not sure I would trust it for taking more than a couple feet underwater: The brand is Dicapack and the run $15 to $60 online depending on the camera.

The only stuff we leave on the beach is a bag with our towels, cover up clothing, and other beach sundry items like a book and sunscreen.

If we ever went swimming on the Med I'd do the same.

Thanks so much Larry.

The dry pak ones look great.

You have provided me with so many wonderful responses to many of my endless questions so far, and I truly appreciate it.

Jules

Not that many places for beach going in the Med!!

Caribbean beaches for you, Med beaches for us ;). It's exactly the same, but on this side of the pond :).

There are a few places on this Equinox itinerary that are beach resorts for the hundreds of thousands of people that visit during the summer season: Corfu, Mykonos, Kusadasi-Ladies Beach (especially if you've been to Ephesus previously) etc., without even touching Spain ;). In fact, X do offer beach shore excursions at these destinations :).

Virgin cruisers.

Or is it too unsafe?

Appreciate any advice.

Jules

Hi Jules, yes we do leave stuff on the beach here in Aus. But I wouldnt suggest good idea in Europe, you seen the show "scam city"?.

After 2 Med cruises and 5 weeks around the Med last year, I have yet to swim in the Med, just not appealing and beaches by our standards are rubbish.

If you do have a opportunity to swim it may be best to have someone with belongings at all times, and you will have to have your passport with you if onshore.

As far as a camera is concerned I bought a Waterproof one Duty Free for around $200 , for times when I might get it wet. Needless to say, it didnt get wet yet.

Hi Jules, yes we do leave stuff on the beach here in Aus. But I wouldnt suggest good idea in Europe, you seen the show "scam city"?.

After 2 Med cruises and 5 weeks around the Med last year, I have yet to swim in the Med, just not appealing and beaches by our standards are rubbish.

If you do have a opportunity to swim it may be best to have someone with belongings at all times, and you will have to have your passport with you if onshore.

As far as a camera is concerned I bought a Waterproof one Duty Free for around $200 , for times when I might get it wet. Needless to say, it didnt get wet yet.

ACKKKKKK!!! Do NOT take your passports on shore!!!! Unless specifically told to. by cruise personnel, like in Russia, your passport is Much safer in your room safe. It is the number one target of most thieves in tourist areas. There is no reason to take it with you, you do not need it, we are way past the 'Show me your papers' days.