Canadian cruisers!!

We live 20 minutes from London Ontario. Right now West Jet, Air Transat, and Sunwing have flights to AIs. I just looked at the cheapest AI direct to Punta Cana and for 2 it was $2,600 all in. There is even a direct flight deal with Celeberty that has run last year as well as this year. It has transfers and IF I remember correctly it had tips and maybe a drink package. I know someone who did it last year and they said it was so easy to fly right from home.

I found more info on the deal. It is on Celeberty Silhouette and does eastern and western between January 31-April 3rd. The pricing is per person but it includes airfare to Plam Beach from London, all transfers, a classic drink package, port taxes and gratuities. An inside is $2079 taxes included. The flyers says "prices subject to category and availability". Ocean view and obstructed are listed too. I would guess you could pay the difference for other cabin categories,

If note rested here is a link to it. Even with our poor dollar it appears to be reasonably priced holidays out there.

http://media.gttwl.com/attachments/1360610404/1434468330.7809632_Celebrity%20Agent%20Flyer_generic.pdf

Since the only confirmation that you receive from Royal shows how much you paid in CDN$ I would assume (which I know is dangerous where Royal is concerned) that the amount refunded would be that amount.

I agree with Ken on this. Your credit card would just be credited back with the amount they charged in CAD... same as if you ordered a drink package or something else from gifts and gear and then cancelled. :)

that makes sense. :)

Wow...sorry to hear this has happened, although I think we all expected it...:(

It will defn change ALOT of ppl's plans unless RCI does something. Will take them awhile to see/feel the affects of it as a lot of ppl already have cruises booked for 2016. But moving forward, its gotta hurt them.

Like its been said...the price of JUST a drink package almost pays for a whole week at an AI.

With predictions of the dollar staying low for the next few years at least....will be interesting to see what happens for sure and if they try to offer some kinda break for Canadian cruises.

In the UK I believe, its quite common to include the drink package with the cruise price.

Or maybe NCL will benefit greatly from this....hmmm

I totally agree...This will be our 1st cruise(January 31st sailing) with RCI and will be our last if no incentives are put in place for Canadian cruisers.... NCL and Celebrity seem like good options as they include the beverage package in their prices. We sailed with NCL last year and would certainly sail with them again...

Anyone else believe that the low exchange rate of 10% was just an oversight by RCCL for all these months? I think they lost a lot of money on it and don't believe it was going on just to give Canadian's an incentive or break.

Anyone else believe that the low exchange rate of 10% was just an oversight by RCCL for all these months? I think they lost a lot of money on it and don't believe it was going on just to give Canadian's an incentive or break.

IMO there is no way that it was an oversight that lasted 1 year. Royal reads these boards and it was talked about openly on here for that year. Many of us had conversations with the reps about what a good deal it was. IMO it was to not only keep the Canadian booking up but also to increase the on board spending which is extremely profitable for Royal.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

IMO there is no way that it was an oversight that lasted 1 year. Royal reads these boards and it was talked about openly on here for that year. Many of us had conversations with the reps about what a good deal it was. IMO it was to not only keep the Canadian booking up but also to increase the on board spending which is extremely profitable for Royal.

But in order to keep that money onboard, it would have been in their better interest to just give Canadian's a break on drink packages and other types of onboard spending. That way they weren't losing money by refunding US cash at the end when there is leftover on the account.

But in order to keep that money onboard, it would have been in their better interest to just give Canadian's a break on drink packages and other types of onboard spending. That way they weren't losing money by refunding US cash at the end when there is leftover on the account.

I'm pretty sure that it was never their intention for them to be doing this to allow us to take the money out. People taking the money out to use at ports was just a side effect that they had not planned on or had not realized that so many would be doing.

Who knows had everyone spent 100% of the OBC that they had purchased on board maybe this rate would still be in effect.

We're doing our first ever Caribbean cruise in March. I did get to take advantage of the 10% exchange rate and was able to boost my OBC to $1200 (we had $200 for booking) and this was to be used for the Beverage packages. Now, I'm a little concerned that they are A) going up in price and B) I read in another thread that many of the On Board packages purchased don't include the 18% gratuity so I'm wondering if the packages will be worthwhile. Can anyone tell me if typically alcoholic drinks purchased ashore in ports are fairly cheap or are they generally expensive? I know islands will vary and I'm just looking for an idea of what to expect. Our cruise hits St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Barbados and Martinique if that helps. Thanks in advance for your insight!

And all good things must come to an end:). It was nearly a year ago when my family took advantage of this the first time and we were able to multiple times throughout the year. Can't believe it lasted as long as it did and it sure did save us a ton. Many thanks to the original OP for sharing the info in the first place and to RCCL for letting us have it for so long. I work at a bank and the exchange rate to buy yesterday was 1.4490! It makes absolute sense that it's done. They will offer some resident specials etc from time to time just like they did when the rates were this bad before but I can't imagine we'll see the likes of this again. Bottom line is our vacations are a lot more expensive again. Sure is great news for our exporters though.

Anyway it's been a blast. For those of you worried about being able to get your cash out, don't. You bought it, it's yours. Don't think twice about getting a slot voucher or chips from the cage, playing a few minutes and then cashing them in. It'll work fine. In fact on Majesty last month they had the ticket cashing machines so if all the ships have those then just put the voucher in that to get your cash. Enjoy being the last ones to take advantage of the deal.:)

I just found this board this week ( after the party was over).

I guess we all have to look at different options.

It would make more sense to have the low rate on booking price.

Ships are sometimes 50 % Canadian in the winter months. I am certain that this can't be neglected.

If people know of promotions for Canadians......... please keep posting.

I will do the same.

I was on Adventure of the Seas over New Years and it was a great time, however their premium drink package was $55 US/day + 18%, or about $65 US/day. Which is a little bit different than the $57 amount I found on their web site.

I've booked an Alaska cruise this summer, and if I pre-purchase the premium drink package, it will be $76.90 CDN/day, so an exchange rate of about $1.185. Not quite $1.1, but not horrendous either. This rate is assuming the pricing model that I witnessed on Adventure of the Seas and not the amounts I see at: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

My question is, if I buy this package today for $566.64 CDN, and at some point between today and the day I travel I change my mind about the package, will I be refunded $566.64 or what ever the current exchange rate is on the package?

I was on Adventure of the Seas over New Years and it was a great time, however their premium drink package was $55 US/day + 18%, or about $65 US/day. Which is a little bit different than the $57 amount I found on their web site.

I've booked an Alaska cruise this summer, and if I pre-purchase the premium drink package, it will be $76.90 CDN/day, so an exchange rate of about $1.185. Not quite $1.1, but not horrendous either. This rate is assuming the pricing model that I witnessed on Adventure of the Seas and not the amounts I see at: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

My question is, if I buy this package today for $566.64 CDN, and at some point between today and the day I travel I change my mind about the package, will I be refunded $566.64 or what ever the current exchange rate is on the package?

That price most likely foes not include the 18% gratuity.

If you cancel up to 2 days prior you will be refunded exactly what you paid to your credit card.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I could be wrong but I'm assuming you'd be credited with whatever amount your credit card was charged to purchase it... If you pay $566.64 then that's what you'd get back if you cancel.

Can anyone confirm the current us price for the premium beverage package if bought onboard. Including the 18% gratuity.

We were fortunate enough to purchase $1000 us at the 1.10 exchange rate (assuming we get the whole 1000 when we board) for an upcoming cruise on the freedom on Jan. 31 . We were hoping to use this money for something other then drink packages. Unfortunately the rates and prices went up before we had a chance to purchase any more obc

Trying to figure out if there's any value in pre-purchasing the drink packages . Currently the premium package is offered at $80.95 canadian. Assuming this has gratuity included.

I see online that the premium package is $57 us. At the current exchange rate that's about $80.98

If the prices I posted are correct we would be better if we used our discounted US dollars to purchase beverage packages for the best savings. If the packages on board are more then 57 us we may pre purchase. While the savings would not be the 1.10 exchange rate there might be something there.

Fishnbrews, as I mentioned a few posts back, I just got of Adventure of the Seas, and their pricing on board did not match what was on the website. They charged $55 US/day + 18% grat, so $64.90 US/Day. If they are offering you the premium package at $80.95/Day, thats an exchange rate of $1.247.

I don't know if the $55/day + 18% for the premium package was an just on AoS, or a fleet wide thing when purchased on board. I read many different stories regarding drink package pricing over the past few weeks/month.

I'm booked on RoS for an Alaska cruise in August, and pre-purchased the drink package at $80.95/day. And I'm going to watch it over the coming months to see if it comes down.

Fishnbrews, as I mentioned a few posts back, I just got of Adventure of the Seas, and their pricing on board did not match what was on the website. They charged $55 US/day + 18% grat, so $64.90 US/Day. If they are offering you the premium package at $80.95/Day, thats an exchange rate of $1.247.

I don't know if the $55/day + 18% for the premium package was an just on AoS, or a fleet wide thing when purchased on board. I read many different stories regarding drink package pricing over the past few weeks/month.

I'm booked on RoS for an Alaska cruise in August, and pre-purchased the drink package at $80.95/day. And I'm going to watch it over the coming months to see if it comes down.

Thanks Z3r0

If those prices are accurate I may pre purchase the packages at the 80.95. Still saving compared to the current exchange rate and use my obc for something else. Can you confirm the 80.95 you paid includes the 18% gratuity.

I've only ever purchased 2 drink packages. The first time I did it was in advance last December on Allure, and I didn't have any additional costs once I was on board. Most recently with Adventure when I purchased it on board. Everything I read "The Premium Beverage Package* is the ultimate in convenience and value. Pay one set price and enjoy nearly our entire selection of spirits, beers and wines, plus non-alcoholic beverages."

I wont be on that cruise until August, but if they try to hook me with another fee I'm going to lose my mind.

Sorry thats not more helpful.

I would personals wait to buy on board , but with that said , seeing I was a day late to get the good exchange rate , I can't see myself getting a package in any currency this next sailing , if I do will maybe mid cruise , just to much money to spend on drinks ...... RCCL are u listening