Oosterdam in Sydney

Could also have been due to flight delays. HAL do a lot of Fly cruise deals in the States , and with the recent delays from storms , some folk may have been held up or were on their way , and having booked it all through HAL , the Company decided to wait for them?

Whats the flight curfew at Sydney?

4am does seem an odd time to leave.

Very interesting reason, however why did Silver Whisper manage to depart around 7pm to head towards Melbourne. If it was high seas at the heads, would not they also delay the Silver Whisper also?

Perhaps as she was going down the coast to Melbourne the direction of the large swell was not an issue while the Oosterdam was to head out to NZ it may have been.:D

Very interesting reason, however why did Silver Whisper manage to depart around 7pm to head towards Melbourne. If it was high seas at the heads, would not they also delay the Silver Whisper also?

Heading different directions perhaps, or just different captains making different calls, or even more "wiggle room" in itineraries allowing one to be more cautious.

Just a thought but maybe the reason Whisper went and Oosterdam didn't may be the demographic of their PAX too.

I was told recently than when "The World" crosses Bass Straight she is almost empty and most owners choose to fly,

Just a thought but maybe the reason Whisper went and Oosterdam didn't may be the demographic of their PAX too.

I was told recently than when "The World" crosses Bass Straight she is almost empty and most owners choose to fly,

I would happily cross the strait on the world.:D

I would happily cross the strait on the world.:D

Same here.

A friend was seriously looking at buying and we were shocked when he was told this. But he was assured it was true. Boy I hope he changes his mind and buys in, he'll go from being a good friend to my best friend:D.

I'll cross Bass on almost anything in almost any conditions.

Same here.

A friend was seriously looking at buying and we were shocked when he was told this. But he was assured it was true. Boy I hope he changes his mind and buys in, he'll go from being a good friend to my best friend:D.

I'll cross Bass on almost anything in almost any conditions.

I am willing to be his best friend too.;)

I am willing to be his best friend too.;)

If he ends up buying I suspect he'll have mo0re "Best Friends" than he can count. He was actually put off when he heard that so many won't do the crossing, which as we know can vary from pretty hairy to "smooth as".

• 2 weeks later...

Oosterdam returned to Sydney today and berthed at White Bay. She was delayed by 2 hours waiting for the correct tide level so she could get under the bridge.

Many unhappy passenger who had booked international flights before midday.

The first passengers did not debark until 8.30

One passenger had a 9Am flight:eek: Even if the ship was on time at 6.30 they would never make it.

Let this be a lesson to all overseas visitors. Fly in at least the day before and fly out no earlier that late pm on the day of debark.

BTW HAL charged almost $40 for the transfers to the airport.