Celebrity is pushing us away again, no fresh oj?!

Wj420

It's good to know that Celebrity is focused on providing a quality juice year round.....unlike those other cruise lines such as Regent, Crystal, Oceania, Cunard, and so on that have chosen, I guess, to risk providing that quality by continuing to provide real fresh squeezed orange juice.

Kudos.

What a disappointing move, and I can't buy that justification.

Please excuse me while I get up on a different soapbox - the use of language:eek: Many times in this thread, and usually where doing anything other than putting the oranges through a machine right in front of you is being justified the expression "pre-squeezed juice" is used. This is an oxymoron - before squeezing it's an orange (or whatever fruit) after squeezing, by whatever method, and wherever, it is juice, so logically <pre-squeezed juice> is an impossibility:D

That said, this thread has made me think about OJ over the years. 30 years ago I used to buy a frozen concentrate to defrost and dilute because it tasted 100% better than any other OJ available at that time. About 20 years ago a UK supermarket chain installed sqeeze machines in some of their stores, not our local one. We liked it so much we used to buy in bulk whenever we could, and freeze it at home with no noticable deficit in flavour. We now buy the same same supermarket's ready bottled "fresh OJ" and would have to squeeze our own to notice the differece.

BTW squeezing your own will always taste better because only the juice comes through, the commercial machines pulp the whole orange.

Another point - I cannot believe that not only can a thread on OJ run to 7 pages, but I have been daft enough to read it all - and then felt a need to contribute:eek:

Killington,

"Another point - I cannot believe that not only can a thread on OJ run to 7 pages, but I have been daft enough to read it all - and then felt a need to contribute"

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution!;)

Salud!

I know, page 7 and going strong.....?!?

Please excuse me while I get up on a different soapbox - the use of language:eek: Many times in this thread, and usually where doing anything other than putting the oranges through a machine right in front of you is being justified the expression "pre-squeezed juice" is used. This is an oxymoron - before squeezing it's an orange (or whatever fruit) after squeezing, by whatever method, and wherever, it is juice, so logically <pre-squeezed juice> is an impossibility:D

That said, this thread has made me think about OJ over the years. 30 years ago I used to buy a frozen concentrate to defrost and dilute because it tasted 100% better than any other OJ available at that time. About 20 years ago a UK supermarket chain installed sqeeze machines in some of their stores, not our local one. We liked it so much we used to buy in bulk whenever we could, and freeze it at home with no noticable deficit in flavour. We now buy the same same supermarket's ready bottled "fresh OJ" and would have to squeeze our own to notice the differece.

BTW squeezing your own will always taste better because only the juice comes through, the commercial machines pulp the whole orange.

Another point - I cannot believe that not only can a thread on OJ run to 7 pages, but I have been daft enough to read it all - and then felt a need to contribute:eek:

I just spit out my soda with that last line. Bwahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Too funny!!!

All I can tell you is that I have often had pre-packaged fresh OJ, at Whole foods and at resorts, that is as good or better than the OJ that comes out of commercial slice and juice machine. I guess the difference is the oranges: those pre-pak manufacturers won't let a batch go out of the facility that doesn't have the "right" taste, whereas there's more variability with individual fresh OJ. That's my two cents. I like both, and won't drink Tropicana and the like. Also, I give a slight edge to the pre-paks due to their ability to chill the juice. The machines tend to use opranges that have been sitting out for a while and therefore are not served as cold.

There are so many opinions, but these ships hold so many people, with some paying $500/person and some paying $10K for the same cruise, and they don't all have the same expectations...there are many people who feel they don't spend much time in their rooms and want to lowest price possible; there are others who spend a lot for their rooms and amenities. Well, that same thing applies to the food, drinks, wines, etc.

I'm less than 2 months away from going on a great cruise and I'm reading a thread about fresh pre-squeezed Orange juice.

Just had to step back and see what I was doing.

This thread is like a daytime soap opera to me... I know that reading it is a waste of my time, but there's just so much drama that I can't make myself stop! :D

This thread is like a daytime soap opera to me... I know that reading it is a waste of my time, but there's just so much drama that I can't make myself stop! :D

I know right? Orange juice - gate AND Bruce Jenner really is Keeping up with The Kardashians. A drama filled day!

There is 112 calories in 8 oz of OJ maybe they are looking at it from a health perspective.

X is the healthy choice.

Huh???? Not quite sure where the healthy choice comes.

AND most smoothies have more than that. Not quite sure the lack of OJ would cause one's shorts to twist though :rolleyes:

What????? A beauty and fashion forum?

Yup! CC has a cruise fashion forum.

The thread "Getting rid of wrinkles" has over 795 posts tonight. :confused:

OJ thread is a slow sister...

it is indeed all about value for your money and of course the "Modern Experience." it cuts across all cruise lines.

Most actually would not even notice or know if there was a $15 increase in the fare which would probably double the food budget....however, celebrity would just push it to the bottom line instead.

The value proposition...the meeting of expectations for "modern luxury"...the maintaining of past passengers just don't appear to be on their radar screen right now.

Celebrity management currently appears to have two major focuses....maximize suite prices/profit from suites...and cut all other expenses....and it's not clear if they care if anyone leaves because they think it's easy to find enough new folks to fill the ships.

They might be right....at least in the short term....but they are definitely losing some passengers and of course gaining others, at least once.

My 2 cents on the issue...worth maybe 1/2 a cent....

Be careful, Celebrity might take that 2 cents, but only give you back 1/2 a cent of value.

OK - I'll buy it. This juice has a 13-17 day shelf life. Lets say a day to package and another to get it to FLL. Thus what is it like on a 12 night cruise at the end? No so good if I can answer myself. Now the next leg leaves Italy for the Med. What happens then? Would love to hear from Celebrity what the real truth is on this WORLDWIDE! Cannot imagine they can buy fresh squeezed juice in say Buenos Aires!

On a serious note, nearly all of the provisions onboard are shipped in, via air freight from Miami, to meet up with the ships wherever it is. Very little is sourced locally. The reason generally given is "for safety and consistency"

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

The fact is that you can buy fresh OJ, it's just $4 or free w a prem drink pak. I think this is a responsible management decision. That way, they don't it away to thousands of people who could care less or prefer Tropicana, but it's really not so expensive to piss too many ppl off or have them take a different cruise line. Now, maybe it's a signal of other cuts. I'm still wondering what happened to the caviar.

The fact is that you can buy fresh OJ, it's just $4 or free w a prem drink pak. I think this is a responsible management decision. That way, they don't it away to thousands of people who could care less or prefer Tropicana, but it's really not so expensive to piss too many ppl off or have them take a different cruise line. Now, maybe it's a signal of other cuts. I'm still wondering what happened to the caviar.

I think the fish drowned. :D :D ;)

True - the way words are twisted all to cover up the truth and make things sound better.

this can't be a conspiracy or "cut back" to save money.

What's going to be cheaper - buying a sack of oranges locally and having the existing staff already on pay squeeze them or buying a premium product, that is squeeze elsewhere by other's from sacks of oranges at their facility then freighted in ready to use.

So long as they aren't being a product that is at any point having the bulk of its water removed then added back in at the end o the process, to me it's fresh juice, and a better quality product. I don't care whose hands squeezed the juice (or whose machine for that matter) It doesn't have to be my beloved bar tender doing the squeezing.

And I as one of the few in these posts in this thread whose actually drank the stuff, you can't tell the difference of what's being served today versus 4 months ago, as I stated unthread. But for this thread I'd have had no clue there was a change in the "fresh squeezed" OJ, and I can tell it's definitely not the same stuff as in the juice machine on the buffet.

Edited by cle-guy

For what it's worth, I called my local Whole Foods store, and they guy said that it has about a one month shelf life when it comes to them, and is generally put out on the shelves with about a week shelf life to look most "fresh." Personally, I think their fresh squeezed OJ generally tastes great -- especially their Blood Orange juice, but I digress.

How they get these juices to have a shelf life like that and still taste great without being pasteurized, I don't know, but I suspect the air is sucked out of the top of the package during the sealing packaging (but maybe not), as it just doesn't taste the same to me within a day or so after it's been opened.

I presume Celebrity has access to similar manufacturers, and when you think of the quantities served on board, including throughout all the bars, it's pretty massive and I think it's generally impractical to to make it on board for everyone for every restaurant and bar...that being said, I could see retaining one of those fresh squeezed machines for show purposes in Blu as it goes with the theme of the place.

Researching on the internet, the following was reported about Whole Foods' 365 Organic OJ:

Whole Foods 365 Brand (Organic) Flavor pack-free

(their response to my e-mail explains that they do not use flavor packs, and achieve similar flavor stabilization by blending juices "from different varieties and parts of the processing season")

Enzyme-free

(response to my e-mail: "[we do not] use enzymes to break down the pulp.")

Probably BPA-free

(see Whole Foods' Bisphenol-A policy)

Edited by soxfan2013