Celebrity is pushing us away again, no fresh oj?!

Wj420

I beg to differ. . .yes, the cost is known but the amount of consumption is not! I cannot imagine drinking three glasses of Orange juice at one sitting considering the caloric intake, plus if I drank that much I'd be so full I wouldn't need any breakfast! You also read a lot here about people ordering drinks 'just to try them since they're free and if I don't like it I just throw it away'. All of that contributes to excess cost that has to be made up somewhere. Easy for me to say as I have never had and never want to have a drink package, do not need any incentive to drink that much. Of anything .

so your comment was direct at me then. I'm a very healthy 40-something who doesn't worry about counting calories (especially when on holiday!) and I am lucky enough to not have any health issues which has me monitoring sugar intake either. It's an all-inclusive drink package which allows me to drink as much as I want of whatever I went. 3 juices with breakfast is hardly abuse of the package.

Why does this discussion remind me of the disappearing lime threads a few years ago? I remember how cruising as we knew it was coming to an end because limes were not available. Over the years other items have been discontinued either due to sharp increase in costs or shortage of product. Thank goodness the limes are back in good supply and I can once again enjoy my Perrier without going to another line.

There's fresh OJ.... why do you think there isn't?

I remember some poster insisted that the eggs served in Blu were powdered once.... :p:p pure nonsense. :D

The restaurant manager on the Constellation told me last night that the EXTRA COST OJ at the buffet is now made from frozen concentrate.

They just put out new menu's today with the 18% gratuities and the menu still says "fresh squeezed". I guess it is squeezed at a factory, frozen and sent to the ship. To me that is NOT "fresh"!

My reflux condition makes it difficult if not impossible for me to drink OJ. As a stockholder I applaud Celebrity for reducing costs in areas that don't affect me. Keep up the good work :)

LOL.:D

Let's hear it for free enterprise!

BTW what is the stock price these days?

On jan 11 sailing Silhouette we ordered fresh squeezed every morning on Aqua menu (also grapefruit juice). It was definitely fresh from room service.

Perhaps it is not in buffet anymore but they have the machines in the kitchen

I do agree in principle that if Celebrity takes away so many amenities that we are used to it makes the cruiseline less appealing. We have looked elsewhere for alternatives although we prefer Celebrity.

Oceania for example such a different vibe besides being more expensive

Yes you can get fresh OJ but there is NO hot breakfast from room service unless you are in Concierge class or above believe it or not

Princess had the worst breakfasts from room service and couldn't drink the coffee while Celebrity coffee improved. Celebrity entertainment this time was better.

Sorry host Anne's experience was different. I don't doubt her perceptions at all.

Carnival yuck food. So different from years ago

There are changes in most lines. It still comes down to what is most important to you.

But please don't assume that the other lines are still the same as they were years ago and that they have no cuts

And don't assume that a person's bad experience will be yours

I had a bad experience on a line mostly due to problems of the cabin and interactions with 2 guest relations people. If my cabin had no defects like the closet door hadn't fallen out on my foot and I hadn't gotten locked in the bathroom it wouldn't have colored my whole sailing. I can see how others love oceania.

Judge the line for yourself comparing it with RECENT sailing on other lines

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. It may have turned browner

I was on the same sailing. I asked for fresh oj at the Lido bar and concentrate was all that was available. I was able to obtain fresh oj at the Lido bar in March on the Infinity.

We accept the cutbacks. We understand things change. But completely taking fresh orange juice off the ships? Modern luxury includes fresh juice! We have three trips booked on celebrity in the next two years but will need to rebook at Oceania. We have standards. These same standards made Celebrity our favorite cruise line for the last 5 years. Sad to think its time to upgrade again.

Totally agree. It's not about the oj. But I remember my last x cruises. 'fresh' oj in the morning was always mixed with either water and/or regular oj.

http://www.producenews.com/markets-and-trends/14884-florida-orange-supplies-just-got-tighter

I would think they source product from many different vendors, but perhaps this is contributing to any absence of fresh OJ.

This is what I was suggesting in my lime comment. Thanks for the source. Only confirms my impression.

Of course, orange juice is just one item and Celebrity is just one line. Anyone who thinks that any corporate enterprise will not continually look at both contributors to their bottom line (income enhancement and cost control) is living a fantasy. Right now, it seems that many lines are focussing on limiting fare increases and instead are looking at cost controls. Celebrity, as a mass market line, is competing in an arena where ever more bunks are coming on line as new builds join fleets.

Face it: there will continue to be quality shaving.

bakcd

I guess they had fresh for room service but not the lido

Oh well

I can't say I've squeezed my own in Florida more than a couple of times since we moved down here either 🍊

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The restaurant manager on the Constellation told me last night that the EXTRA COST OJ at the buffet is now made from frozen concentrate.

They just put out new menu's today with the 18% gratuities and the menu still says "fresh squeezed". I guess it is squeezed at a factory, frozen and sent to the ship. To me that is NOT "fresh"!

As long as I can remember "Fresh OJ" was available for a fee on Celebrity and other lines we've cruised with. OJ machines provided free OJ from concentrate in the buffet .

The juice in Blu is fresh for sure.... as is the stuff at the Elite breakfast...

Edited by A Sixth?

I just departed the Eclipse on Sunday and I can tell you that they are no longer squeezing the fresh Orange Juice on the ship. I always have a glass when I am on board a Celebrity ship. I actually talked to someone who previously operated one of the machines to make the OJ and it is no longer being done. It is received frozen in containers. I am not an expert of the making of OJ, but I do not believe it is made from concentrate. I am a little confused on why some people are reporting that the new product is made from concentrate. I suspect it is a confusion on terms. Furthermore I do not beleive it goes though any processing and mixing on the ship. It is just thawed and served. What they served contains pulp and although it may technically meet the requirements to be called fresh squeezed OJ it certainly is not fresh recently squeezed OJ. Personally I would never pay extra for what is currently being served, but I drink it has part of the included benefits and it is significantly better than what is served free and what is made from concentrate at home. But I will admit I am not sure that I noticed a difference in taste between what was squeezed on board and what is being served previously frozen. I would need to taste both at the same time.

The same situation no matter where it is served.

I will admit that this is not a change that I like, but it did not affect the enjoyment of my cruise nor will it affect the enjoyment of the four cruises I have booked for the next two years.

Edited by jagoffee

You can drink (or hoard for later use) as much complimentary fresh-squeezed OJ as you want from the Holland America Lido breakfast buffet. I have to admit I do look forward to fresh juice, sometimes that's the only reason I bother to get up for breakfast, and I will definitely miss it if it is no longer being offered by Celebrity. It's really over for me if they stop baking almond croissants or discontinue rum raisin ice cream.

That is true. On the other hand, on our most recent HAL cruise it was rare to ever find lox and bagels in the Lido. But on Celebrity I can get it at the Lido, in the Elite Breakfast, or in the MDR. And on our recent 38 day HAL cruise (Oosterdam) we had 38 days of only Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate ice cream in the Lido. Oh, The HORROR!

Hank

It's somewhat annoying that "celebrity cruises", the celebrity official spokesman on CC, jumps in on some threads and seems to avoid others.

This thread is about something factual that he/she could confirm, deny etc....instead it's just ignored as if, hopefully, it will just go away.

Edited by ghstudio

As long as I can remember "Fresh OJ" was available for a fee on Celebrity and other lines we've cruised with. OJ machines provided free OJ from concentrate in the buffet .

The juice in Blu is fresh for sure.... as is the stuff at the Elite breakfast...

The waiter in Blu apologized to us in that the OJ there on Eclipse Jan 4 sailing was not fresh squeezed. It may have been packaged not from concentrate, but it was not squeezed on sight. No biggie. We drank it w/o complaint. The eggs were lovely, BTW. a perfect poach 90% of the time, which is very difficult.

It's somewhat annoying that "celebrity cruises", the celebrity official spokesman on CC, jumps in on some threads and seems to avoid others.

This thread is about something factual that he/she could confirm, deny etc....instead it's just ignored as if, hopefully, it will just go away.

Hi there,

We have been looking into this issue, and don't have a comment yet. We will post once we learn more.

That is true. On the other hand, on our most recent HAL cruise it was rare to ever find lox and bagels in the Lido. But on Celebrity I can get it at the Lido, in the Elite Breakfast, or in the MDR. And on our recent 38 day HAL cruise (Oosterdam) we had 38 days of only Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate ice cream in the Lido. Oh, The HORROR!

Hank

It's always something, I feel your pain! Recently sailed on Nieuw Amsterdam and Westerdam and found no shortage of lox at the Lido buffet on either ship, except when we arrived late and they were rolling over to lunch service...I could see the forlorn remnants on the platter of where it was supposed to be, never to be replenished...so I believe smoked salmon was there every day, we just didn't always get there in time. These two ships also offered a variety of ice cream flavors beyond Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate! This was a very pleasant surprise, I always thought the ice cream offerings on HAL were underwhelming (but I award HAL style points for the lovely baked meringues and for putting out the most beautiful and perfect fresh berries). That being said, I think Celebrity has the very best ice cream (and sorbet) on the high seas! Back to the fresh OJ. As long as there are oranges on Celebrity I can make like MacGyver and squeeze my own juice. Less Modern Luxury, more Dual Survivor. There are no problems, only challenges.

Hi there,

We have been looking into this issue, and don't have a comment yet. We will post once we learn more.

What, no comment, but you are supposed to be at our beck & call!:roll eyes:

I guess we are just going to report you to the timely response police.:eek:

Yes, I am being sarcastic.

Thank you.