Aussie dollar

Yes Mick, I have just bought some on board credit for my Princess cruise in Dec. :)

Unfortunately our Feb & June cruises on RCI are through a US TA (but we got a good price) so cant complain too much

Tanya

Same boat in regards to our VOTS cruise.:(

Because of the falling dollar, my DH and I decided to prepay our gratuities and excursions online for our cruise on Diamond Princess at end of March which was very easy. We then decided to buy some OBC so I phoned Princess this morning. I bought $US1000 which cost me $AUS1100. Much better than the bank exchange rates at the moment.

I must say, as this is the first time I had phoned Princess, that the customer service rep whom I spoke to named Cathy made it very easy and was most helpful. I have read some very uncomplimentary comments on CC about Princess call centre.

Edited by possum52

Because of the falling dollar, my DH and I decided to prepay our gratuities and excursions online for our cruise on Diamond Princess at end of March which was very easy. We then decided to buy some OBC so I phoned Princess this morning. I bought $US1000 which cost me $AUS1100. Much better than the bank exchange rates at the moment.

I must say, as this is the first time I had phoned Princess, that the customer service rep whom I spoke to named Cathy made it very easy and was most helpful. I have read some very uncomplimentary comments on CC about Princess call centre.

I must say I've never had any problems with Princess' call centre, now some other lines:eek:, however I do have a dedicated cruise contact there so she does it all for me, the best thing that ever happened.

Because of the falling dollar, my DH and I decided to prepay our gratuities and excursions online for our cruise on Diamond Princess at end of March which was very easy. We then decided to buy some OBC so I phoned Princess this morning. I bought $US1000 which cost me $AUS1100.

We prepay gratuities on the USD ships online where gratuities are deducted each day onboard,

My question is:

If we do the same online for an AUD ship, will this simply show onboard as an OBC and we can use it as such ?

Thanks

We prepay gratuities on the USD ships online where gratuities are deducted each day onboard,

My question is:

If we do the same online for an AUD ship, will this simply show onboard as an OBC and we can use it as such ?

Thanks

Which line, it seems they each seem to do it a little different, I am purely working from memory but I think Princess used to add it as OBC and P&O just took it as grats, but I'm not sure that any ships that charge onboard in AUS$ now also charge grats, or I can't think of one

Ah yes, sorry....asking about Princess.

I thought so, but wanted to clarify, Princess ships in Aus$ do not charge Auto grats, you can ask the purser's desk to add them to your account, but they are not automatically added otherwise.

I am an Aussie sailing this month., not sure what to do.

So when you pay your onboard expense account, do you have RCI conversion currency program convert your money or do you have your own credit card carrier convert for you? (if that makes any sense)

My credit card company charges 2.5% conversion, not sure how others pay, whether they take cash or use cards.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how people settle their accounts

So when you pay your onboard expense account, do you have RCI conversion currency program convert your money or do you have your own credit card carrier convert for you? (if that makes any sense)

My credit card company charges 2.5% conversion, not sure how others pay, whether they take cash or use cards.

Tick the box that says your credit card will do it , as it seems that your rates are reasonable on the card. We always have our CC do it rather than the cruiseline.:D

I always go credit card lines charge 3% or thereabouts and usually a bit out on exchange rate on that conversion, a pity they don't give the 1 for 1 they give at the moment on OBC

If your card does that, you're better off choosing the card to convert a USD charge.

Dubbomum, you might like to read this thread here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2161062

Seems atm you can 'buy' OBC for your cruise on RCI at the rate of $1USD for $1AUD. So example, if you buy $1000 USD OBC, it will cost you just $1000 AUD. Depending on your credit card terms, there may be fee for buying from an 'International Merchant' but that is nothing compared to the currency conversion savings! Also when buying the OBC with a credit card, the transaction is classed as a purchase - not a 'cash advance' .

As to your credit card charging 2.5% for cash conversions, maybe too late now for your upcoming cruise but go get a 28 degree Mastercard. No annual fee. No international transaction fees on purchases. No currency conversion fees. Up to 55 days interest free. Pay it off on time and no extra costs involved. And always best to take a second different non linked credit card with you in case you lose or have one stolen.

Edited by GandM-nq

Dubbomum, you might like to read this thread here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2161062

Seems atm you can 'buy' OBC for your cruise on RCI at the rate of $1USD for $1AUD. So example, if you buy $1000 USD OBC, it will cost you just $1000 AUD. Depending on your credit card terms, there may be fee for buying from an 'International Merchant' but that is nothing compared to the currency conversion savings! Also when buying the OBC with a credit card, the transaction is classed as a purchase - not a 'cash advance' .

As to your credit card charging 2.5% for cash conversions, maybe too late now for your upcoming cruise but go get a 28 degree Mastercard. No annual fee. No international transaction fees on purchases. No currency conversion fees. Up to 55 days interest free. Pay it off on time and no extra costs involved. And always best to take a second different non linked credit card with you in case you lose or have one stolen.

All sound advice,:D

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from our 3N on Voyager.

As normal, ticked the box for the conversion to be done by our cc issuer - CBA (not by RC). US$ on-board charges were converted at Fx = 0.78, so very happy with that. There is also the 3% transaction fee.

Onboard the ship, payments were being processed at around 71c & on the last there was a long line of people at GS waiting to pay out their cash account.

Happy cruising.

Just back from our 3N on Voyager.

As normal, ticked the box for the conversion to be done by our cc issuer - CBA (not by RC). US$ on-board charges were converted at Fx = 0.78, so very happy with that. There is also the 3% transaction fee.

Onboard the ship, payments were being processed at around 71c & on the last there was a long line of people at GS waiting to pay out their cash account.

Happy cruising.

Hi Neil, the 28 degrees card had a conversion of $0.7766 but no fee, you may need one in future.:D

Hi Mic, yes that sounds good - I am looking into it.

It didn't matter so much for this last trip as my onboard account wasn't much - how much can we spend in 3N when we have diamond 'perks' :) , but on a longer trip the 3% can add up :eek:

Hi Mic, yes that sounds good - I am looking into it.

It didn't matter so much for this last trip as my onboard account wasn't much - how much can we spend in 3N when we have diamond 'perks' :) , but on a longer trip the 3% can add up :eek:

Yes, I am looking into getting the Citibank card as that is good for cash withdrawals /transactions when overseas.:D