Four reasons to choose MDR for dinner

bjohio

With five cruises under our belts and a sixth coming up I thought it would be helpful to newbies to share our experience with main dinning room dining.

Reason#1- It is well documented that the average cruiser over a seven day cruise will gain 4 lbs. After our five cruises we have never gained weight on a cruise and we are not gym people. The reason I think is that by eating in the MDR you are served adequate, but not huge portions and one tends to eat slower while engaged in conversation with others. We will have a Windjammer egg omelet breakfast a couple of times, also an occasional lunch there but never in the Windjammer for dinner. Unless you are very disciplined one eats too much at a buffet.

Reason#2- Dining in the MDR, especially at a table of 8, will allow you to meet new people, have nice conversations shared amongst all. The table of 8 is also good if you are rather quiet, but like to have conversation around you- the conversation will not be dependent on you as it might at a smaller table. The early or late time depends on your schedule. However, after thinking we were "early" people we found that we enjoyed the leisurely late seating more after being shut out of the early seating one cruise. If you do not have children with you the later seating probably will work better for you as most families choose the early hour. The later hour is also better after returning from touring off the ship- you have more time to make the dinner, while you might not with earlier hour.

Reason#3- Even though you are on vacation and can do anything you want, when you want- I at least like to have a little structure to my day and the set dinner hour serves that purpose well.

Reason#4-The MDR is an excellent chance to order new food choices you would not chance if you were paying for them. I never had escargot before and on our first cruise I tried it and loved it. I never order it out but always have a couple of times on shipboard. If you don't like something you can choose something else. I always order a salad or shrimp cocktail with the escargot.

Hope the above was helpful in helping a new cruiser make some of the many decisions you need to make before cruising.

Edited by bjohio
Added to

Your reasons sound great -- for most people.

After over 140 cruises, we have seen a decline in the food quality and service in the main dining room. We don't like to spend (maybe) 3+ hours having dinner. JMO

So now we eat in the specialty dining restaurants. Again -- JMO

Enjoy your cruises and dining experiences.

I don't understand why someone would need to decide where they're eating all their meals before the cruise. The main dining meals are included in one's fare as are some other venues (buffet, and others depending on cruise line). Specialty restaurants are usually extra, but again, depending on the cruise line, some can be booked during the cruise depending on demand.

Some cruise lines do offer a choice of booking traditional (assigned) dining and flexible dining, so that would be a decision to make ahead of time. But those both are for the main dining rooms.

Nothing wrong with MDR, I have had meals in 90 mins, length of meals depends on line/ship and server, and how much everyone at the table orders. When I started cruising there were no specialty restaurants. I do recommend you try at least one on your cruise, service and food is superior in general.

OP .... Thanks for your thoughts on this. Do you do Traditional Seating or the Anytime option in the MDR?

LuLu

We do the traditional seating so we are with the same companions each night at the same time. If for some reason after the first night you don't think you are going to click with the others you can change tables by asking the head waiter. We have never found that necessary. Sometimes we do eat at the specialty restaurant- just let your fellow diners and the head waiter know the night before so they won't be waiting for you.

I don't understand why someone would need to decide where they're eating all their meals before the cruise. The main dining meals are included in one's fare as are some other venues (buffet' date=' and others depending on cruise line). Specialty restaurants are usually extra, but again, depending on the cruise line, some can be booked during the cruise depending on demand.

Some cruise lines do offer a choice of booking traditional (assigned) dining and flexible dining, so that would be a decision to make ahead of time. But those both are for the main dining rooms.[/quote']

We do opt for a specialty restaurant at least once on a cruise, just let your table and head waiter know the night before that you won't be joining them-just the polite thing to do.

OP - where is this "fact" that the "average cruiser over a seven day cruise will gain four pounds" proven with anything but anecdotal evidence.

Can you cite a scientific study that actually found this result?

Everybody knows that it's not true. What is scientifically proven is that clothes hanging in the closet will shrink when exposed to ocean air.;)

I disagree with your first three reasons. First, where you eat on board has nothing to do with any weight gain a person might have. We eat both in the dining room and the Lido, depending on our mood, but mainly on the Lido. I didn't gain any weight on my last two cruises. Second, we always get a two-top as we're not interested in small talk with strangers. Third, the last thing we want on a vacation is structure. We're on vacation, duh!

I do agree about trying new foods in the MDR and that's one of the reasons we occasionally eat there, if the menu looks interesting. We both hate long, drawn out dinners and so we rarely go to the MDR anymore.

We do opt for a specialty restaurant at least once on a cruise, just let your table and head waiter know the night before that you won't be joining them-just the polite thing to do.

We've did have a dinner in a specialty restaurant on our last cruise, but only because we were given a complimentary dinner in Sabatinis (someone at Princess HQs heard that I was doing a favor for someone during the cruise so they decided to do some nice stuff for my family). It was fine, but not a must do for us. We've never felt the need on any of our cruises to try it out and I don't think we'll go back.

With five cruises under our belts and a sixth coming up I thought it would be helpful to newbies to share our experience with main dinning room dining.

Reason#1- It is well documented that the average cruiser over a seven day cruise will gain 4 lbs. After our five cruises we have never gained weight on a cruise and we are not gym people. The reason I think is that by eating in the MDR you are served adequate, but not huge portions and one tends to eat slower while engaged in conversation with others. We will have a Windjammer egg omelet breakfast a couple of times, also an occasional lunch there but never in the Windjammer for dinner. Unless you are very disciplined one eats too much at a buffet.

Reason#2- Dining in the MDR, especially at a table of 8, will allow you to meet new people, have nice conversations shared amongst all. The table of 8 is also good if you are rather quiet, but like to have conversation around you- the conversation will not be dependent on you as it might at a smaller table. The early or late time depends on your schedule. However, after thinking we were "early" people we found that we enjoyed the leisurely late seating more after being shut out of the early seating one cruise. If you do not have children with you the later seating probably will work better for you as most families choose the early hour. The later hour is also better after returning from touring off the ship- you have more time to make the dinner, while you might not with earlier hour.

Reason#3- Even though you are on vacation and can do anything you want, when you want- I at least like to have a little structure to my day and the set dinner hour serves that purpose well.

Reason#4-The MDR is an excellent chance to order new food choices you would not chance if you were paying for them. I never had escargot before and on our first cruise I tried it and loved it. I never order it out but always have a couple of times on shipboard. If you don't like something you can choose something else. I always order a salad or shrimp cocktail with the escargot.

Hope the above was helpful in helping a new cruiser make some of the many decisions you need to make before cruising.

good thoughts, again in YHO. Not the reasons for most though. It is really a matter of personal preference.

Edited by Folk Singer

I eat in the MDR as often as possible for 2 main reasons:

1. Weight Managment - I eat less when I order a pre-plated meal, and don't get seconds (or thirds!). I also eat slower when I eat with other people.

2. Atmosphere - The MDR has a more refined feel to it and is therefore more relaxing than the chaos and frenzy of the Lido.

Roz

1. Weight Managment - I eat less when I order a pre-plated meal, and don't get seconds (or thirds!). I also eat slower when I eat with other people.

2. Atmosphere - The MDR has a more refined feel to it and is therefore more relaxing than the chaos and frenzy of the Lido.

Roz

Roz has put it more succinctly than I did and maybe the 4 lb weight gain is questionable, but usually there is weight gain of some amount if you aren't careful. I loved the sea air causing clothes to shrink comment made!

bjohio, I understood why you posted this, and I think it's good. You put it on the First Time Cruisers thread - I think first-time cruisers might be wondering whether they should book specialty restos, and whether they will like the dining room. You gave your views, and Roz added other points, s'all good.

For those who responded with different views, okay, those are your opinions and preferences. No need to take offence at the original post though, I think.

bjohio, I understood why you posted this, and I think it's good. You put it on the First Time Cruisers thread - I think first-time cruisers might be wondering whether they should book specialty restos, and whether they will like the dining room. You gave your views, and Roz added other points, s'all good.

For those who responded with different views, okay, those are your opinions and preferences. No need to take offence at the original post though, I think.

not taking offense, but just pointing out for those new to cruising that specialty restaurants, just as balcony cabins, are not a must, just an option.

Also on some cruiselines (such as Princess), you can't book specialty restaurants before your cruise, just on board (and depending on your fellow passengers, there's often available spaces during the cruise so you don't have to rush to book it unless it's an absolute deal-breaking must for you).

good thoughts, again in YHO. Not the reasons for most though. It is really a matter of personal preference.

Maybe "reasons" isn't the right term. More like 4 "factors" that a first-time cruiser might not know otherwise :)

Roz

In some ways MDR had a more refined feel than specialty restaurants, I do not understand why they did away with table cloths in specialty restaurants??? On all other lines they have them

Maybe "reasons" isn't the right term. More like 4 "factors" that a first-time cruiser might not know otherwise :)

Good distinction, Illyria. On my first cruise, I didn't know how to choose - the MDR, the Lido (or buffet as some call it), or the specialty restos. How would I know?

You have opened up a can of worms here, this is one of 5-6 highly contested topics here on CC, so I will put my 2 cents in...FIRST, I do NOT cruise to meet waiters, never have, never will..although it is nice to meet them, I know 99% of the time I will never see them again..this obsession to "get to know my waiters" has puzzled me on all 30 cruises over 15 years on all but MSC & Costa ( I'm a cruise agent & avid cruiser)..similarly, we do not cruise to meet passengers at dinner..we like a table for 2 if we cruise alone, or a table with friends or family if we cruise with others..I am overly friendly ( those who have met me at Sailaway parties or M & M's can attest to that) and love to socialize, when it comes to dining, we like some solitude, and some privacy, and feel the lousy $$ is always worth it..$15-35 pp is not a lot of money for a great meal with terrific ambiance for us..

Second, sometimes my wife & don't feel like eating catered food ,which is what most MDR food tastes like to me..I also call it "wedding food"..it is "OK".."not bad", "decent" etc., is what I usually find..rarely "fantastic, can't wait for tomorrow night"..my wife works very hard & long hours, and sometimes I would like to treat her to better food, better service, and most important, better ambiance...dining with 1500 people is not my idea of that..

Third, QUALITY of food in specialty venues, IMO, is 100% better than the MDR...things I like- crab cakes,Potatoes au gratin, shrimp cocktail ( big ones, not small cheap ones!) , NY Strip, simply are much better in the specialty venues...food is subjective, I know..a perfect example is about 5 years ago, we cruised with 2 other couples on the RCI'S Navigator Of The Seas and for one couple, it was their first cruise..we dined 3 nights in the MDR, and 2 nights $$, Chops & Portifinos..on the last night, I asked both couples if they thought there was a difference in the quality of food in the $$ venues & if it was worth the difference..my friend Bill, who NEVER is at a loss for words, said," you would have to be either drunk, unconscious, or just an idiot to not think this is better & worth the difference"...plus, we sat both nights at the specialty venues at a table over-looking the sea, perfect!

Lastly, we often cruise on our anniversary, or our birthdays, which are 3 weeks apart ..we often book a specialty venue because I like to have my wife feel "special" at dinner time..dining in a loud, bright room with 1500 other passengers and 300 waiters criss crossing back & forth with trays of food is not my idea of feeling special...similarly, if I wanted to take my wife out to dinner at home for a special occasion, I would not take her to Fridays or Chili's, it would be more like Ruth Chris, Morton's, Capital Grill, etc..even though we like Chili's, Outback, etc., it's just not "special"... I have a saying I tell all- "if you want to eat, go to the buffet..if you want to eat better, go to the MDR...if you want to DINE & enjoy your food in a special dining experience, go to a specialty venue". Just MHO...

Big Al

Thank you, that was all my intent- as a new cruiser I would have liked to have known more and was hesitant about sitting with new people, but am glad we did as it added to the experience.

You have opened up a can of worms here, this is one of 5-6 highly contested topics here on CC, so I will put my 2 cents in...FIRST, I do NOT cruise to meet waiters, never have, never will..although it is nice to meet them, I know 99% of the time I will never see them again..this obsession to "get to know my waiters" has puzzled me on all 30 cruises over 15 years on all but MSC & Costa ( I'm a cruise agent & avid cruiser)..similarly, we do not cruise to meet passengers at dinner..we like a table for 2 if we cruise alone, or a table with friends or family if we cruise with others..I am overly friendly ( those who have met me at Sailaway parties or M & M's can attest to that) and love to socialize, when it comes to dining, we like some solitude, and some privacy, and feel the lousy $$ is always worth it..$15-35 pp is not a lot of money for a great meal with terrific ambiance for us..

Second, sometimes my wife & don't feel like eating catered food ,which is what most MDR food tastes like to me..I also call it "wedding food"..it is "OK".."not bad", "decent" etc., is what I usually find..rarely "fantastic, can't wait for tomorrow night"..my wife works very hard & long hours, and sometimes I would like to treat her to better food, better service, and most important, better ambiance...dining with 1500 people is not my idea of that..

Third, QUALITY of food in specialty venues, IMO, is 100% better than the MDR...things I like- crab cakes,Potatoes au gratin, shrimp cocktail ( big ones, not small cheap ones!) , NY Strip, simply are much better in the specialty venues...food is subjective, I know..a perfect example is about 5 years ago, we cruised with 2 other couples on the RCI'S Navigator Of The Seas and for one couple, it was their first cruise..we dined 3 nights in the MDR, and 2 nights $$, Chops & Portifinos..on the last night, I asked both couples if they thought there was a difference in the quality of food in the $$ venues & if it was worth the difference..my friend Bill, who NEVER is at a loss for words, said," you would have to be either drunk, unconscious, or just an idiot to not think this is better & worth the difference"...plus, we sat both nights at the specialty venues at a table over-looking the sea, perfect!

Lastly, we often cruise on our anniversary, or our birthdays, which are 3 weeks apart ..we often book a specialty venue because I like to have my wife feel "special" at dinner time..dining in a loud, bright room with 1500 other passengers and 300 waiters criss crossing back & forth with trays of food is not my idea of feeling special...similarly, if I wanted to take my wife out to dinner at home for a special occasion, I would not take her to Fridays or Chili's, it would be more like Ruth Chris, Morton's, Capital Grill, etc..even though we like Chili's, Outback, etc., it's just not "special"... I have a saying I tell all- "if you want to eat, go to the buffet..if you want to eat better, go to the MDR...if you want to DINE & enjoy your food in a special dining experience, go to a specialty venue". Just MHO...

Big Al

You make good points, but you, as a cruise agent, are not the new, first-time cruiser that I was trying to reach. With each new experience peoples choices will change, I was just trying to reach Cruisers 101.