No kids gratuity?

LMaxwell

I was speaking to my PCC and asked about using OBC to pay gratuities and he said only for adults, there is no gratuity charged for children. New to NCL. Used to Royal where they charge everyone the same. What's the deal here? Kids pay gratuity on NCL or no?

Everyone pays the $12 per person, per day. You can not use OBC towards this.

So, if I buy OBC through NCL, I can't use it to pay gratuities? Bummer! Guess I better prepay then. Thanks for the heads-up :)

Sent from my iPad. Typos are inevitable.

So, if I buy OBC through NCL, I can't use it to pay gratuities? Bummer! Guess I better prepay then. Thanks for the heads-up :)

You can use OBC which you purchase to pay gratuities. If you receive OBC from NCL then it can't be used for that.

I've only received non-refundable OBC from NCL and from Amex (when Amex OBC promo is in effect).

I've received both refundable and non-refundable OBC from my travel agent.

The refundable type was automatically put toward our Daily Service Charge.

I was speaking to my PCC and asked about using OBC to pay gratuities and he said only for adults, there is no gratuity charged for children. New to NCL. Used to Royal where they charge everyone the same. What's the deal here? Kids pay gratuity on NCL or no?

Gratuity or Daily Service Charge?

The DSC applies to the kids as well. Gratuities are at your whim.

You can use the OBC towards your gratutities if you bought it! You can't use the NCL OBC towards gratutities.

Sorry to hijack this thread into a different direction...but I have a question about refundable OBC. We've always been able to use our travel agent's OBC toward DSC, so I assume that means it was refundable. But that seems to imply that we can take with us whatever was unused...i.e. "refundable." Is that correct?

Isn't all gratuity technically optional? I usually opt out of the prepaid gratuity and take care of it myself

You are right, but that was besides the point. I was just surprised to find out NCL won't charge my child automatically

It's actually called Discretionary Service Charge by NCL and it's all the same. Tip, gratuity, service charge. Semantics.

To the surprise of no one who has read what you regularly post, you continue to spread this misinformation. The service charge and a tip/gratuity are two different things, and that's why they're covered by two separate NCL FAQs.

Service Charge FAQ: http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Tipping/Gratuity FAQ: http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

A tip or gratuity is something you offer directly to a staff member to reward them for their outstanding service. You control how much, if anything, you tip any particular crew member.

The service charge is collected by NCL, pooled, and distributed to staff under rules and formulas you are not privy to .

Edited by njhorseman