No kids gratuity?

LMaxwell

To the surprise of no one who has read what you regularly post, you continue to spread this misinformation. The service charge and a tip/gratuity are two different things, and that's why they're covered by two separate NCL FAQs.

Service Charge FAQ: http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Tipping/Gratuity FAQ: http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

A tip or gratuity is something you offer directly to a staff member to reward them for their outstanding service. You control how much, if anything, you tip any particular crew member.

The service charge is collected by NCL, pooled, and distributed to staff under rules and formulas you are not privy to .

Believe whatever you want. I will rely on facts.

P.S. FAQ's are not facts. Just a helpful guide provided to the masses. Pull up the passenger contract if you prefer facts.

Is it appropriate to offer a gratuity to the Guppies staff? I'm under the impression the youth staff receive "normal" salaries and not dependent on the tip pool just like someone in guest services, but not sure on NCL

Discretionary Service Charge. Aka tip or gratuity.

To me the only difference is DSC is opt out. Gratuity is an opt in. From my research it seems you are right to use the terms interchangeably, they have the same end result just slight different in how the function.

Believe whatever you want. I will rely on facts.

P.S. FAQ's are not facts. Just a helpful guide provided to the masses. Pull up the passenger contract if you prefer facts.

I'm quite familiar with the contract, thank you. It addresses the service charge and says nothing about tipping.

Apparently you're regurgitating your usual diatribe about the "discretionary service charge" without bothering to notice that I wasn't disputing that the service charge can be adjusted at your discretion, but rather your continued unwillingness to acknowledge that tips and service charges are not the same.

Your "facts" reside somewhere in your imagination, not in the contact.

To me the only difference is DSC is opt out. Gratuity is an opt in. From my research it seems you are right to use the terms interchangeably, they have the same end result just slight different in how the function.

They not have the same end result and differ substantially in how they function.

The service charges collected by NCL are pooled and distributed to the crew in a manner determined by NCL. You have no say over who benefits from it and how much money any individual receives.

When you tip, you are giving the money directly to the person that you wish to reward.

I'm quite familiar with the contract, thank you. It addresses the service charge and says nothing about tipping.

Apparently you're regurgitating your usual diatribe about the "discretionary service charge" without bothering to notice that I wasn't disputing that the service charge can be adjusted at your discretion, but rather your continued unwillingness to acknowledge that tips and service charges are not the same.

Your "facts" reside somewhere in your imagination, not in the contact.

You're gonna need a bigger hammer.

Is it appropriate to offer a gratuity to the Guppies staff? I'm under the impression the youth staff receive "normal" salaries and not dependent on the tip pool just like someone in guest services, but not sure on NCL

Yes, it's appropriate. The DSC doesn't pay them.

Ah, that's why he insisted. My child will be 2 at time of sailing.

As I always say....if the posters would just give the details in their original post things would be so much simpler

You should have mentioned the age !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thinking of getting the DSC removed and tip as I cruise. 2 adults traveling with 6, 6 & 4 yr olds. my reasoning: little ones eat a fraction of the food and only use the Splash Academy. speaking of which, since there's multiple employees at the Splash Academy, how & whom are you suppose to give the tip to?

I really don't feel like the kids should be paying the full DSC as an adult, bad enough that they are paying full fare.

all this tipping ppl are mentioning can add up to hundreds and thousands on top of the cruise fare.

looks like the DSC is just another way for the cruise line to make the fares appear lower.

thinking of getting the DSC removed and tip as I cruise. 2 adults traveling with 6, 6 & 4 yr olds. my reasoning: little ones eat a fraction of the food and only use the Splash Academy. speaking of which, since there's multiple employees at the Splash Academy, how & whom are you suppose to give the tip to?

I really don't feel like the kids should be paying the full DSC as an adult, bad enough that they are paying full fare.

all this tipping ppl are mentioning can add up to hundreds and thousands on top of the cruise fare.

looks like the DSC is just another way for the cruise line to make the fares appear lower.

I think that is a bit unfair. NCL would prefer adults over children, since a big chunk of revenue is made off of alcohol sales, and gambling, which children don't participate in. Hey, maybe kids should then pay even more of the DSC?

It does add up - we cruise with our 5 children, and when booking, always mentally include it in the fare, just like when we go out to eat, and know we will be adding about 18% onto the bill.

Children need clean bedding, get their cabins serviced, eat meals, and use the kids clubs. They're not shopping, drinking, gambling - so not giving any extra to NCL. I just can't see how one can justify opting out on the DSC, especially since opting out appears to be for service issues than can't be remedied during the cruise.

I think that is a bit unfair. NCL would prefer adults over children, since a big chunk of revenue is made off of alcohol sales, and gambling, which children don't participate in. Hey, maybe kids should then pay even more of the DSC?

It does add up - we cruise with our 5 children, and when booking, always mentally include it in the fare, just like when we go out to eat, and know we will be adding about 18% onto the bill.

Children need clean bedding, get their cabins serviced, eat meals, and use the kids clubs. They're not shopping, drinking, gambling - so not giving any extra to NCL. I just can't see how one can justify opting out on the DSC, especially since opting out appears to be for service issues than can't be remedied during the cruise.

again, there's a bit of deception in regards to the DSC. if someone is not aware that they are not obilgated to tip at the free restaurants and end up tipping throughout the cruise, at the last day they end with with the DSC charge, isn't it too late? or can thye opt out of the DSC at the last day?

they should be putting down "tipping optional" on your receipts.

Why should i feel obligated to tip TWICE, unless the service was above

and beyond?

there's a reason kids are at a discounted rate at most venues. Movie tkts, parks, kid's menus...etc

Personally, i will tip at a minumal IF i am paying the DSC.

sounds like alot of ppl here are big tippers.

again, there's a bit of deception in regards to the DSC. if someone is not aware that they are not obilgated to tip at the free restaurants and end up tipping throughout the cruise, at the last day they end with with the DSC charge, isn't it too late? or can thye opt out of the DSC at the last day?

they should be putting down "tipping optional" on your receipts.

Why should i feel obligated to tip TWICE, unless the service was above

and beyond?

there's a reason kids are at a discounted rate at most venues. Movie tkts, parks, kid's menus...etc

Personally, i will tip at a minumal IF i am paying the DSC.

sounds like alot of ppl here are big tippers.

There's no deception because at no time is anyone asking for or suggesting a tip in the "free" restaurants. You don't get a receipt or a bill in the "free" restaurants so there's nothing to put "tipping optional" on.

No one is obligated to tip twice nor is it suggested. You never get a check or receipt in the free restaurants.

Edited by njhorseman

Stop thinking.

I was speaking to my PCC and asked about using OBC to pay gratuities and he said only for adults, there is no gratuity charged for children. New to NCL. Used to Royal where they charge everyone the same. What's the deal here? Kids pay gratuity on NCL or no?

If this is a policy it is new to most of us: yes, you pay gratuities for everyone in the cabin. do remember the kids club is not included in the tip pool, so you will want to tip the workers there.

If this is a policy it is new to most of us: yes, you pay gratuities for everyone in the cabin. do remember the kids club is not included in the tip pool, so you will want to tip the workers there.

Read the entire thread.... Her kid is 2 .....something that was left out in the original post.....had it been included in the post as it should have been for clarity then it would be correct that there is no dsc for the child

But as usual that tidbit of very important info was left out of the original post

What a surprise 🙀

Read the entire thread.... Her kid is 2 .....something that was left out in the original post.....had it been included in the post as it should have been for clarity then it would be correct that there is no dsc for the child

But as usual that tidbit of very important info was left out of the original post

What a surprise 🙀

Who is her? I'm all man. [emoji51]

I think the most reasonable thing for us to do is to budget cash for the baby and split it up amongst cabin steward and kids staff depending on service level, how much we use kids club, interaction, etc.

I have no problem with the daily amount charged for adults. I have always had adequate services on a cruise. I also have no issue if someone wants to take off DSC, tip in cash, reduce of remove tips for poor service,etc. All are covered in the policy set forth by the company. No one way is more right or wrong than another.

Who is her? I'm all man. [emoji51]

My bad so sorry. Lol

My pet peeve is not with you of course it is with the omission of needed info that so many posters seem to be guilty of on these threads

Edited by luvtheships

Please consider NOT removing the DSC for kids. From my own family's experience kids create a lot more mess while they eat in the dining room or buffet. All the people cleaning and bussing tables for your children wouldn't recive a penny for their services to your three.

I'm guessing you are a first time cruiser. We all were at some point and you can guess we love it as we keep coming back for more. The DSC is a surprise to new cruisers. I believe that each cruise line is afraid to include this as part of the pricing as that particular cruise line would look at a higher upfront price than the others.

Finally, the freedom of having freestyle, with no set table at a specific time means that the decades old way of tipping your dining attendants one the last night is meaningless.