Adventure of seas Pan Am San Juan ???

Suzyrn89

Leaving in a couple of weeks for Adventure of Seas, have some questions for anyone who has been on AOS lately.

1. If we get to the port can we check in our luggage and ourselves then not board? We plan to check out of the hotel and drop check in luggage while we look around San Juan for awhile.

2. If we bring wine onboard can we let it go through packed in our luggage? We dont want to have to deal with dragging it around with us and we dont want to have to go collect our luggage because we left wine in it either. Spoke to Royal and they mentioned having to go pick up our luggage after we sail if we send it through with wine packed in it. Any recent experience would be appreciated, we have never had this issue on Allure or Oasis.

3. Are we near enough to any forts to walk from the pier?

Any other suggestions would be great, we have never sailed out of San Juan before so no clue on the routines.

Leaving in a couple of weeks for Adventure of Seas, have some questions for anyone who has been on AOS lately.

1. If we get to the port can we check in our luggage and ourselves then not board? We plan to check out of the hotel and drop check in luggage while we look around San Juan for awhile.I believe so, but you'll have to take a taxi to Old San Juan

2. If we bring wine onboard can we let it go through packed in our luggage? We dont want to have to deal with dragging it around with us and we dont want to have to go collect our luggage because we left wine in it either. Spoke to Royal and they mentioned having to go pick up our luggage after we sail if we send it through with wine packed in it. Any recent experience would be appreciated, we have never had this issue on Allure or Oasis.

3. Are we near enough to any forts to walk from the pier?No the pier is kind of in the middle of nowhere. I think it would be at least 2-3 miles to OSJ and the forts

Any other suggestions would be great, we have never sailed out of San Juan before so no clue on the routines.

Definitely try to spend some time in Old San Juan:)

I would pick up the wine on the way back to the ship...you could always just drop off your checked luggage & then go thru the rest of the check in process after your thru touring San Juan

There is a CVS in town near the pier that is used for port stops that sells wine. ..and there used to be a liquor store right in the Pan Am pier...you could always buy your wine there after you check in & before you board..

Edited by kc320

Adventure docks at the Pan Am Pier and you really can't walk to anything. Yes, Old Town and the two forts would be your best bet for the day. Maybe a 10 to 12 minute taxi ride ($14 I think) from the Pan Am Pier. And yes, there's a small liquor and wine store in the Pan Am Terminal. Not much of a selection, however.

1. If we get to the port can we check in our luggage and ourselves then not board? We plan to check out of the hotel and drop check in luggage while we look around San Juan for awhile.

2. If we bring wine on board can we let it go through packed in our luggage? We don't want to have to deal with dragging it around with us and we don't want to have to go collect our luggage because we left wine in it either. Spoke to Royal and they mentioned having to go pick up our luggage after we sail if we send it through with wine packed in it. Any recent experience would be appreciated, we have never had this issue on Allure or Oasis.

3. Are we near enough to any forts to walk from the pier?

Here is our experience from San Juan last year. We like wine. Wife had 2 bottles in her carry on and I had 2 in mine. No problems walking on. We also had a partial bottle of rum and a full bottle that we put in our checked bags. We had 3 cans of local beer and 2 more bottles of wine. There was a note in our bag delivered to our room that the partial bottle of rum had been poured out and we could pick up the beer at the end of the cruise. The full bottle of rum and 2 bottles of wine in the checked luggage were still there. Its random. I say take a chance on putting a bottle of alcohol in you checked baggage. Sometimes it makes it sometimes it doesn't. This year our 23 year old daughter is going so I am thinking we can get 6 bottles through carry on.

When my 10 year old daughter and I sailed on the Vision out of FLL this summer I also carried on 2 bottles of wine and checked two bottles of wine.

Here is our experience from San Juan last year. We like wine. Wife had 2 bottles in her carry on and I had 2 in mine. No problems walking on. We also had a partial bottle of rum and a full bottle that we put in our checked bags. We had 3 cans of local beer and 2 more bottles of wine. There was a note in our bag delivered to our room that the partial bottle of rum had been poured out and we could pick up the beer at the end of the cruise. The full bottle of rum and 2 bottles of wine in the checked luggage were still there. Its random. I say take a chance on putting a bottle of alcohol in you checked baggage. Sometimes it makes it sometimes it doesn't. This year our 23 year old daughter is going so I am thinking we can get 6 bottles through carry on.

When my 10 year old daughter and I sailed on the Vision out of FLL this summer I also carried on 2 bottles of wine and checked two bottles of wine.

Thanks so much, we like a nice choice of wine as well. Normally we dont buy wines at CVS but if in a pinch we would LOL. We have never had a problem with sending wine through with our checked luggage before. I was told by RCCL that if we sent it through with checked luggage we would not get our luggage until after we sail...ugh! We are also a little concerned as they have done away with the wine packages and on our sailing in Nov 14 out of FLL there were many of wines on the packages that were out. Our plan was to send 2 through checked luggage per cabin. I would even like to consider adding a third one to hubby's luggage.

Thanks for the reply.

We've cruised from SJU 5 times and always been on the ship by noon or before:) Usually get to the port around 11:00.

Great info, has that been on the AOS? We may re think our wine and luggage situation if thats the case, how soon can you get to your cabin if you get on that early?

Great info, has that been on the AOS? We may re think our wine and luggage situation if thats the case, how soon can you get to your cabin if you get on that early?

We've sailed several times out of SJ and usually get to our cabin between 1 and 1:30...depending on how long it took to get the last passengers off.

Adventure docks at the Pan Am Pier and you really can't walk to anything. Yes, Old Town and the two forts would be your best bet for the day. Maybe a 10 to 12 minute taxi ride ($14 I think) from the Pan Am Pier. And yes, there's a small liquor and wine store in the Pan Am Terminal. Not much of a selection, however.

Isn't there a free bus/trolly you can take to the fort and other places of intrest?

Yes, I know. But why pay for a taxi to the fort from OSJ when you can take a trolly ride for free? :D

I didn't see anyone suggest taking a taxi from OSJ to the forts. I saw a suggestion of taking a cab from the Pan Am pier where the ship is docked. They can catch the trolley if they want after the cab ride.

Yes, I know. But why pay for a taxi to the fort from OSJ when you can take a trolly ride for free? :D

No one is taking a taxi to the fort....but the Trolley doesn't run to the pier where their ship is going to be...it's on the other side of the bay...NOT the pier that is in the heart of town...so to GET to the FREE Trolley from the Pan America Pier...you gotta take a TAXI...

two bottles of wine is supposed to be carried on as that has been our experience the past years. There is a small store inside the terminal and you can purchase there as well as taking a taxi out.

You can drop off your luggage and go check in...you can get something to eat and then rooms are usually ready between 1-130 drop off your things and go explore Old San Juan. You have to be back for muster which is usually around 6. There will be an all aboard sign when you go off the ship.

Enjoy...we are getting on sunday for another two weeks...

two bottles of wine is supposed to be carried on as that has been our experience the past years. There is a small store inside the terminal and you can purchase there as well as taking a taxi out.

You can drop off your luggage and go check in...you can get something to eat and then rooms are usually ready between 1-130 drop off your things and go explore Old San Juan. You have to be back for muster which is usually around 6. There will be an all aboard sign when you go off the ship.

Enjoy...we are getting on sunday for another two weeks...

Would love to have some pics of the wine menus with prices if you could bring some back or email them to me as suzyrn89@yahoo.com, we are thinking of buying beverage packages which we have never done before but since they did away with wine packages and we have had problems with getting the wines on the packages before we are really unsure of what to do.

Thanks so much, we like a nice choice of wine as well. Normally we dont buy wines at CVS but if in a pinch we would LOL. We have never had a problem with sending wine through with our checked luggage before. I was told by RCCL that if we sent it through with checked luggage we would not get our luggage until after we sail...ugh! We are also a little concerned as they have done away with the wine packages and on our sailing in Nov 14 out of FLL there were many of wines on the packages that were out. Our plan was to send 2 through checked luggage per cabin. I would even like to consider adding a third one to hubby's luggage.

Thanks for the reply.

If you want a better selection of wines, ask your cab driver to make a quick stop at a SuperMax (local grocery stores). Another option is another stop at Plaza las Americas, the biggest shopping mall in the island. A couple of months ago one of the best wine distributors opened a small store there (really close to JC Penny's). The store is "La Enoteca" from Ballester Hermanos. Excellent selection of wines. This is a link to their Facebook page....https://www.facebook.com/LaEnotecaPR

If you want a better selection of wines, ask your cab driver to make a quick stop at a SuperMax (local grocery stores). Another option is another stop at Plaza las Americas, the biggest shopping mall in the island. A couple of months ago one of the best wine distributors opened a small store there (really close to JC Penny's). The store is "La Enoteca" from Ballester Hermanos. Excellent selection of wines. This is a link to their Facebook page....https://www.facebook.com/LaEnotecaPR

Thanks for the recommendation, we will look at stopping there after touring a bit before we head back to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting post.

So they don't "check off" or watch when you check in how many bottles you have per stateroom? Would love to have two bottles each.

If the hubby does a actually carry on rolling suitcase, with two bottles and I have my purse with two bottles in it. Will they catch it??? What about if we put his mom (who is in another stateroom in between us when going thru security??