Ebola virus notification

HMSDingy

I received an emergency notice from Princess re: the Ebola virus and what they are doing in way of screening for it. Like its not enough that we have to worry about Noro. Anybody else receive this notice:confused:

I received an emergency notice from Princess re: the Ebola virus and what they are doing in way of screening for it. Like its not enough that we have to worry about Noro. Anybody else receive this notice:confused:

Several thousand passengers since the outbreak last year.

It's a horrible disease. Too bad they aren't screening for Measles on the west coast cruises.

Both Princess and Carnival have precruise health paperwork to fill out. In sure all the lines do.

Passport control has signs about Ebola and those particular countries.

So far, I have received it three times for the same cruise.

I just hope they don't make me fill out the form three times.

THAT would be an emergency!

I'm on a b2b next week, and have 'overlapping' TAs (prev. one retiring, new one being copied in on everything) so I've received the notice six times so far ...

And that's after the three or four times I received it for my last cruise in Dec.

Of course they should put into place necessary screening procedures, but I wish they'd save 'Emergency' notification for a real emergency - I also get 'emergency' notifications if the itinerary changes by 30 mins.

Edited by jollyjones

This IS interesting.

We got our 'emergency' message overnight but the curious part is that when we boarded in Southampton for our TA on the Emerald in October there was nothing. Even though, we now know that the disease was raging at the time.

We received that notice prior to our November cruise as well as last night for our upcoming cruises. I am happy Princess is taking such precautions. I just hope that anyone who fits the Ebola precautions listed is honest when filling out the medical form. Also, by notifying people ahead of time it gives anyone who has visited the three countries listed or who has had contact with an Ebola patient in the last 21 days the opportunity to cancel now rather than be denied boarding (assuming they are honest on the health questionnaire)

Yes its a few more questions. Its also required at medical facilities as well.

Mostly to find out if you have traveled to any of the affected countries.

I bet the reason for this is because here in Texas we had a nurse from Dallas that treated an Ebola person ,and a week after the patient died she got on a Carnival cruise out of Galveston. Half way through the cruise the captain was notified by officials that the nurse was on board the boat. Bet that scared some people.

I bet the reason for this is because here in Texas we had a nurse from Dallas that treated an Ebola person ,and a week after the patient died she got on a Carnival cruise out of Galveston. Half way through the cruise the captain was notified by officials that the nurse was on board the boat. Bet that scared some people.

Come on, get the story right! The individual was a supervisor in the hospital lab that processed the samples from the ebola patient. She did not provide patient care nor have direct contact with the patient. The CDC changed its standards for health care workers while the lab supervisor was on vacation. It was not known if the supervisor had direct contact with the ebola samples so, as a precaution, the CDC asker her to self-quarantine in her cabin.

These ebola notifications are just a Public Relations stunt to make it appear the cruise line are doing something about a source of public hysteria. Nobody who has already paid in full for a cruise will truthfully self-declare travel from/through the affected region.

Come on, get the story right! The individual was a supervisor in the hospital lab that processed the samples from the ebola patient. She did not provide patient care nor have direct contact with the patient. The CDC changed its standards for health care workers while the lab supervisor was on vacation. It was not known if the supervisor had direct contact with the ebola samples so, as a precaution, the CDC asker her to self-quarantine in her cabin.

These ebola notifications are just a Public Relations stunt to make it appear the cruise line are doing something about a source of public hysteria. Nobody who has already paid in full for a cruise will truthfully self-declare travel from/through the affected region.

I agree with the hysteria. People aren't contagious until they are really sick. By then, they will not be up and running around. I feel sorry for the nurse Gov. Christe quarantined, as well as the Doctor here in NYC who went bowling before symptoms were apparent.

BTW, that nurse has slammed Christie on his stance with the measles vaccine.

So many people, including our politicians, are ill informed.

I did get the story right and I resent that you accuse me revising history. The person was involved with his treatment and due to UNKNOWNS that you yourself declare,the captain was informed and she was forced to quarantine in her room. A decision was made based on the current facts that were in play at that time .CDC, hospitals and cruise lines hAve great resonpsibilty to the public And passengers. Of course public hysteria did play a part. As you stated no-one self declares

It seems you have stronge opinions on this subject and I agree public hysteria is over the top but in an evolving situation decisions are made on current knows.

You owe me an apology

I did get the story right and I resent that you accuse me revising history. The person was involved with his treatment and due to UNKNOWNS that you yourself declare,the captain was informed and she was forced to quarantine in her room. A decision was made based on the current facts that were in play at that time .CDC, hospitals and cruise lines hAve great resonpsibilty to the public And passengers. Of course public hysteria did play a part. As you stated no-one self declares

It seems you have stronge opinions on this subject and I agree public hysteria is over the top but in an evolving situation decisions are made on current knows.

You owe me an apology

I agree when it comes to Ebola, sensible precautions must be taken. Recently, at two doctor visits, I had to fill out a form stating whether I had been out of the country recently.

Overkill? Hardly. First...there is much we DO not know about Ebola, the different strains and its spread. We do not have all the information we need and researchers and medical folks here in the U.S. have had to learn from the first Ebola Case (Duncan Thomas) and from the two nurses who fell ill and treated him.

Vaccines are being researched, but Z-Map so far (and platelet transfusion from a recovered Ebola patient) are the only possible treatments.

Also, Ebola is one illness where it is imperative, that at the first sign of symptoms (temperature, headache) that the person MUST be screened, not once, but twice by blood testing...as the first blood test can be false negative.

I am grateful that Ebola is now on the 'radar' for all health care professionals and for the cruise lines and now...most hospitals.

Nobody who has already paid in full for a cruise will truthfully self-declare travel from/through the affected region.

Do you think that is true?

Why wouldn't they declare? I can't imagine anyone coming back from those countries is unaware of the danger - and the required quarantine.

Wouldn't the cruiseline refund their fare if they are not allowed to board (such as when you have a gastro-intestinal illness?) Or perhaps I am uninformed?

Maddle

Wouldn't the cruiseline refund their fare if they are not allowed to board (such as when you have a gastro-intestinal illness?) Or perhaps I am uninformed?

Even if they did refund the cruise fare, they would not refund other costs (airfare, hotel, pre-paid independent shore excursions, etc.) which could add up to more than the cruise fare.

You owe me an apology

This is just one of a dozen different reports published at the time when it was the BIG news of the day: http://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-hospital-worker-is-being-monitored-for-ebola-on-cruise-ship-1413552924

It was a nurse who provided direct patient and later got on a flight back from Ohio, while running a fever, was more problematic: http://nypost.com/2014/10/15/dallas-nurse-with-ebola-should-not-have-been-traveling-cdc/

I had measles, chicken pocks and the mumps as a kid. So did all my friends. We are all ok.

Chickenpox -- If had it while young, can cause painful shingles when you get old. However, there is a shingles vaccine available.

Mumps -- can be serious if you contract it as an adult including sterility.

Measles -- per the World Health Organization, in 2013 there were about 400 deaths every day worldwide from measles.