Suggested Cutback

Giorgi-one

I know people are always complaining about cruise lines cutting back. Here's a cut I would love to see. Get rid of the loud bands around the pool and switch to soft recorded music. I think most people at the pool are interested in talking to their friends, or reading a book or taking a nap. I would venture to say that the sound level was above the OSHA limit for a workplace!

I know people are always complaining about cruise lines cutting back. Here's a cut I would love to see. Get rid of the loud bands around the pool and switch to soft recorded music. I think most people at the pool are interested in talking to their friends, or reading a book or taking a nap. I would venture to say that the sound level was above the OSHA limit for a workplace!

I guess I'm not most people and I disagree with your recommendation.

Agreed - somehow resorts and cruise ships seem to think that their patrons prefer a continually noisy environment in places like pool decks. It would be interesting to see poll results reflecting peoples preferences.

The problem here is that most on the ship would probably prefer softer music, but the demographic Celebrity is trying to attract, who are only a smaller percentage, prefer the louder music.

Since the focus today is on attracting younger, affluent (read..buy suites) crowd, that's the vibe on the ship....and yes, it's driving some of us old, previously loyal to celebrity cruisers, away.

I love it when the party band plays at the pool. Grab a seat further away from the speakers and tune out if you find it too much.

The problem here is that most on the ship would probably prefer softer music, but the demographic Celebrity is trying to attract, who are only a smaller percentage, prefer the louder music.

Since the focus today is on attracting younger, affluent (read..buy suites) crowd, that's the vibe on the ship....and yes, it's driving some of us old, previously loyal to celebrity cruisers, away.

I just got off the Equinox. I'm guessing the median age was in the high 60s. Just my opinion but I would also guess that the majority of suites on Celebrity are purchased by older affluent people. I hear what you are saying but it doesn't make sense for Celebrity to complete with Royal Caribbean or Carnival. I see lots of people on these boards who are doing 5 or more cruises a year, and I doubt they are young and affluent, since raising kids and working doesn't allow people 50 days a year to cruise. Now if you are talking the one percenters, what are they doing on Celebrity?

I love music. We usually attend about 20 plays a year (mostly musicals) and have a subscription to the Philly Pops Orchestra. Problem is the noise around the pool is just not music! Most young bands have the same idea - LOUDER IS BETTER! Make up for quality with quanity!

I love it when the party band plays at the pool. Grab a seat further away from the speakers and tune out if you find it too much.

Gosh...that's a good idea....except if you happen to enjoy sitting on the pool deck around the pool.

I think you would get loads of complaints if you removed the band on Caribbean cruises. I just wish they would bring back the bands that play island music with the steel drum bands.

Honestly...that's one of the cutbacks that celebrity should not have made....it set a very caribbean tone for everyone....not just the young or the old.

I guess I'm not most people and I disagree with your recommendation.
I guess I'm not most people either nor are a lot who cruise with Celebrity who like the bands.

BTW, I'm not the demographic that Celebrity is trying to attract. Some of us older folks like the bands/music.

Wish people would just speak for themselves and not say they are speaking for most people, when they are not.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I agree keep the party music by the pool...I love to find a quiet spot (and there are so many around the ship) to relax, enjoy the sun, a book, conversation, and a drink. Then we walk by the pool to see a little action from time to time (never settle in there)

Actually, I never sit around the pool for that exact reason. However, on our cruise last week, our friends wanted to sit around the pool. I left when the band started playing. Just want to make sure I understand people voting for the band. Are you saying that you enjoy music so loud that you cannot talk to the person sitting next to you?

Younger, perhaps, but there is no way to determine who is affluent and who is hanging on with a dozen credit cards charged to the max. Paying for a suite only means that the person(s) are to pay the additional price.

Anyway, another vote to keep the bands...LOUD bands.

Actually, I never sit around the pool for that exact reason. However, on our cruise last week, our friends wanted to sit around the pool. I left when the band started playing. Just want to make sure I understand people voting for the band. Are you saying that you enjoy music so loud that you cannot talk to the person sitting next to you?
Are you saying you would enjoy the music so low, than everyone falls asleep at the pool? Well I don't. Edited by NLH Arizona

Are you saying you would enjoy the music so low, than everyone falls asleep at the pool? Well I don't.

Why does everyone deal with absolutes. We have had some wonderful bands play by the pool at reasonable levels. Reasonable is not so loud you can't talk to your friends, nor is it a level where if you take out your hearing aids you won't hear it at all. It's reasonable.....that's defined as around 75db....not the 90db or more some bands like to crank out.

I liked the steel drums....I don't mind reasonable bands....ok, I was one who actually liked the string quartets and a cappela singers...I like talent and variety.

The ships have one outdoor pool area...and it should be for everyone to enjoy. Reasonable works....Loud doesn't.

BTW, our last few cruises on the infinity and millenium (asia/south america) had reasonable level music.

Edited by ghstudio

Why does everyone deal with absolutes. We have had some wonderful bands play by the pool at reasonable levels. Reasonable is not so loud you can't talk to your friends, nor is it a level where if you take out your hearing aids you won't hear it at all. It's reasonable.....that's defined as around 75db....not the 90db or more some bands like to crank out.

I liked the steel drums....I don't mind reasonable bands....ok, I was one who actually liked the string quartets and a cappela singers...I like talent and variety.

The ships have one outdoor pool area...and it should be for everyone to enjoy. Reasonable works....Loud doesn't.

Because those that don't like the bands/music don't want to compromise. Have some loud and some lower, they only want it one way (see the original post, they want soft recorded music). On my Summit cruise, I was just on, the band did not play 24/7, so there was a lot of time for folks to talk, play cards, read, etc. without the music. When the steel drum guy was playing one day and at reasonable level, the person in the lounger next to me was complaining so loud, that the music was so loud, that the gentleman on the other side of her told her that if she was quite he could actually hear the music (folks around applauded). If the band played all day long, I could see where there is an issue, but it doesn't. Why can't those that don't like the music (which I think has a lot to do with it) or bands compromise, so that everyone can enjoy their vacation and as you can see, many on here have no issues with the bands/music/loudness. Just as those that don't enjoy the bands/music, I certainly don't want to spend my entire vacation not being able to hear or enjoy music, but when it is low, you don't see those that like the louder music complaining....do you, but maybe that is what we should be doing as well.

And you are 100 percent, there is only 1 outdoor pool, so let's compromise and let the music be louder bands sometimes and lower music sometimes.....to me that would be a win, win for everyone, not just for some. But isn't that what they are doing now, since the bands don't play all day long?

Edited by NLH Arizona

Celebrity cannot please everyone all the time. It seems to me that Celebrity passengers are the most talkative people ever. Bands are part of the cruising tradition. There is an expectation that there will be bands at the pool and by in large most people enjoy them. I wonder if the same people who have issues with the band would not protest if other traditional activities were cut.

I love the demographics discussion in the forum. Everyone speaks with such certainty. My guess, and its only a guess, that Celebrity is marketing to everyone and just not the Millennials. Also how does one know if a passenger is affluent? Is someone taking a census?

I think what Celebrity is doing is planning for the future. I think the 30 to 40 somethings are their definite target, whether or not we are sailing X now. with enough marketing, they will see more people (like me) trying X for the first time. I don't think we are going to see a shift in passenger makeup over night, but probably 10 years from now, there will be more 30/40 somethings on board than there are today. Just my guess.

I enjoyed the few bands that played on Reflection. Much preferred the live music to the piped-in music. There was some weird sound track that played over and over. I would have preferred a range of music; jazz, light pop, easy listening to have a bit of variety.

Add me to the list of folks voting to keep the band by the pool. Keep it loud, too. It is supposed to be a party band, not a string ensemble. :)

My tastes in music run fom classical to jazz, to blues, to rock, to metal. I enjoy most varieties of music. Around the pool, you want lively music. If you like things more sedate but with a pool there is the T-pool (M class) and solarium (S class).

I also would not agree with this recommendation. I want a lively environment by the pool area and not something that would put me to sleep, which is what happened in my last sailing.

Edited by Sandy1975

We recently sailed on the Equinox and Silhouette (in January). On the Equinox we spent a lot of time sitting by the indoor pool, where there was relaxing piped in spa-type music. We would have sat by the indoor pool on the Silhouette, but it was freezing in there. We therefore sat by the outside pool, where the party band blasted music for 45 minutes

to an hour. Other than that period of time, the music wasn't a factor. My only request would be to have some island - Caribbean type music for a period of time. I understand that Celebrity tries to accommodate various musical taste.

They have already done this on the Summit...a DJ is now the House Party Band that plays out by the pool

We haven't cruise on X yet but have always enjoyed bands playing by the pool. I think on HAL they play for an hour or so in the afternoon and it was always nice. We are cruising on the Reflection in May and hope there is a band by the pool for the sea days. It is a port intensive cruise and we will be off of the ship most days.