Credit card alert while cruising

Oceanwench

Beware of any wifi connections for anything but quick checks of web sites and email. Never ever input credit card info or get into those accounts without secured Ethernet lines. I worked remotely for a Fortune 500 company and security issues were drilled into my mind. I learned many seemingly secure connections are wide open for fraud and stolen data. Our corporate Internet lived behind a massive firewall requiring specific VPN access, a multitude of passwords and totally secure Ethernet to get in, essentially business class Internet was required.

A member of my household Amex Chip and Signature got compromised. On the same day they ran up several hundred dollars. All along the card was in his possession. We think his Radio Frequency card was scanned when he was in the coffee shop. Amex did cover the Fraud. So we called every credit card issuer and made them send us Chip and Pin card without Radio Frequency. If you are not a Target (or any store) Tap and Go shopper get rid of Radio Frequency. Looks like ))) on your card. It is a lot safer without RF and you don't need a special sleeve for protection. We practice what Rick Steve says - use a secure ATM while traveling and pay with cash. Only use Credit Cards at highly reputable places.

One other thing to keep financials safe is to buy and use prepaid Sim Cards from overseas vendors such as Three, Orange, or Vodafone. I was in spain recently and got a Vodafone two month prepaid 2 gig sim card for about $27.

One observation is that although all our cards are now Chip and Pin US vendors do accept them as Chip and Signature - go figure.

SFO Peter

Edited by SFO PETER
grammar

We just left the N. Amsterdam and my Amex was compromised with a $400 charge by a firm in Utah. The Neptune concierge team made me aware of a problem with my card and since my phone was off while we were sailing I was not aware that Amex tried to reach me. I turned my phone on in Half Moon Key and a fraud alert came through via text.

The staff on board were excellent as they insisted that I use the house phone in the Neptune Lounge to contact Amex rather than ring up a huge phone bill from my room phone. Amex was able to allow only HAL and recurring bill charges to get approved until I returned home today where a new card was waiting for me.

Not only was Amex pro-active but the staff on board were excellent in their support and help dealing with the matter while in the middle of the Caribbean!

<snip>

One observation is that although all our cards are now Chip and Pin US vendors do accept them as Chip and Signature - go figure.

SFO Peter

I've been told U.S. vendors will accept chip and pin cards as chip and signature because they are still fighting as to the style/design machines that will be universal for stores, restaurants etc

Visa wants their style, M/C wants their's, etc

Merchants cannot have a line up of all those costly and space eating stations so until they can agree what style, U.S. will continue to have chip and signature. :rolleyes:

In the past few weeks I have gotten very "official" looking emails saying that someone had tried to use my card to purchase something and instructing me to click on a link and enter my information ...like the three digit code on back....so the credit card company could verify it was me.

Naturally the emails used all the proper credit card LOGOS and the same language you might expect and look very official...but on checking direct with the credit card company by sending them a copy of the email to THEIR official email address that I looked up they determined it was all a scam to try and get my password etc...

So be careful EVEN when on a cruise and be aware that every email that looks like it might be from your bank/credit card company may well be from scammers....don't click the links and don't give them any of your information.

In Oct, I received an alert from CitiBank while picking up our luggage at Heathrow before a cruise. When I called Citi, they told me that since they couldn't email me a new card, I could use the card; but they would have to put a hold on each charge until I validated it with them. I thought that was a good solution; but since we had multiple cards, we told them to send me a new card on the day we return home. It was rather frustrating, since it was a new card that had been received due to another fraud alert two weeks earlier. The new card had only been used a couple times.

We just left the N. Amsterdam and my Amex was compromised with a $400 charge by a firm in Utah. The Neptune concierge team made me aware of a problem with my card and since my phone was off while we were sailing I was not aware that Amex tried to reach me. I turned my phone on in Half Moon Key and a fraud alert came through via text.

The staff on board were excellent as they insisted that I use the house phone in the Neptune Lounge to contact Amex rather than ring up a huge phone bill from my room phone. Amex was able to allow only HAL and recurring bill charges to get approved until I returned home today where a new card was waiting for me.

Not only was Amex pro-active but the staff on board were excellent in their support and help dealing with the matter while in the middle of the Caribbean!

Isn't that interesting?

We also just sailed on Nieuw Amsterdam, and our Am Ex was compromised with a $700 charge to a firm in Utah -- but the charge was denied.

Isn't that a coinicidence? What was the firm?

Did you use that Am Ex card for your charges onboard?

In the past few weeks I have gotten very "official" looking emails saying that someone had tried to use my card to purchase something and instructing me to click on a link and enter my information ...like the three digit code on back....so the credit card company could verify it was me.

Naturally the emails used all the proper credit card LOGOS and the same language you might expect and look very official...but on checking direct with the credit card company by sending them a copy of the email to THEIR official email address that I looked up they determined it was all a scam to try and get my password etc...

So be careful EVEN when on a cruise and be aware that every email that looks like it might be from your bank/credit card company may well be from scammers....don't click the links and don't give them any of your information.

The e-mails we got from Am Ex were official, used my full name and the last 5 digits of my card.

It also advised me to call the number on the back of my card.

I never click on links in emails.

The e-mails we got from Am Ex were official, used my full name and the last 5 digits of my card.

It also advised me to call the number on the back of my card.

I never click on links in emails.

smart !

any real company may send an e if they can't reach you by phone, but they will NEVER tell you to click on a link - rather to sign on to your on line banking and read the message

Well this is interesting. This exact same thing happened on the Legendary Rhythm and Blues cruise Jan. 18 - 25th. Many folks DID get defrauded by a supposedly some company in Utah. The charges were mainly for tents and camping equipment.

Folks on the LRBC FB page figured HAL was lying about the extent of the issue. Clearly they were. If this happened a couple of weeks before our sailing, I say shame on HAL for not dealing with this properly.

Here is the letter I received from HAL:

Thank you for sailing with us on the ms Nieuw Amsterdam Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise which departed on 1/18/2015.

We are writing to notify you of a credit card processing error that affected guests who used an American Express card to settle their onboard accounts on this sailing. Due to an unfortunate error with a new credit card processor these payments were accidentally routed through a merchant in Utah, the Great Salt Lake Council. Consequently, a charge from that company will appear on your credit card statement. We want to assure you that we have corrected the error, and that your personal information has at all times been fully encrypted. We utilize state-of-the-art military-strength encryption software to ensure the security of such sensitive information. Please know that while we greatly regret this mistake, no fraud has been committed and none of your personal or financial data has been compromised. Nonetheless, we understand and deeply regret any concern this situation may cause.

Again, we want to extend our most sincere apologies for this mistake and let you know that we are working on enhancements to prevent this from happening again in the future. And while no action is required by you, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-976-3935 if there are any questions or concerns. If you’ve already contacted your bank or American Express, we will work with you individually to resolve the matter. We appreciate your patronage and hope to be given an opportunity to welcome you on board again very soon.

Kind regards,

Credit Card Department

Holland America Line

Just ...wow.

Someone attempted to charge $711 to my card on the first day of my cruise - Jan. 25.

I was the week after you.

And that is the company - the camping equipment company in Utah.

And it happened to someone the week after I sailed.

I don't understand what is going on.

All three of us were aboard Nieuw Amsterdam.

Edited by Oceanwench

Holy smokes! I am shocked that this has been ongoing for a while. Shame shame shame on HAL.

You would think after the first time it happened it would be dealt with correctly. I am guessing there may be hundreds of folks who now have to deal with AMEX to dispute the charges.

My hubby used his AMEX, but he didn't get any funny charges. Could it be because with deal with AMEX Canada and have pin and chip technology?

Lots and lots of folks from the blues cruise are really ticked off. Especially those who got hundreds of dollars taken off for camping equipment!

Well, apparently it went on after your cruise ...

But I don't understand the whole "settle your account" thing. The charge on my Am Ex was made the first day of my cruise to that Utah company.

I would have been nice if HAL informed the front desk personnel about the matter - since it appears it was widespread on the Blues Cruise.

It seems fishy to me. I didn't get charged, but I had to close my account and open a new one, and I still don't have the new card.

It has been a major hassle.

Not one word from HAL, but now I am going to call them.

Sounds like a CYA statement to me.

Just spoke with someone at HAL.

I was told this was an isolated incident with the N.A. and Am Ex cards.

He said it has been cleared up, and HAL is working with Am Ex on the matter.

I suggested it would have been helpful if the front desk staff had been alerted to this problem, as someone could have assured me there was no credit card fraud committed.

He said it did take time to get the matter resolved, which is why people on subsequent cruises did have the same problem.

Supposedly all is well - but many people will have had charges that were billed to the Utah company, and all of that will have to be resolved.

[b Well, this is an eye-opener.

It doesn't seem very acceptable to me for them to know for at least three subsequent cruises on the same ship, there was a major issue with guests' Am Ex cards and they kept silent about the extent of the issue?

Who know if it happened on other ships?

Did it happen with people making deposits and final payments for their cruises using AmEx cards?

There are few secrets possible in the world these days. With all the forms of communication and conversation, surely they had to know others would learn the problem was more wide spread than they let on.

It disappoints me to hear guests who were impacted were not fully informed. They had inconvenience and possibly worse and HAL thinks no one would find out there were others??????

Not good.

[/b]

I still do not understand this while thing.

Why would HAL put through a charge of $711 on my first day? Why that number?

It wasn't a "hold" for $60/person/day.

And the hold would not come through as a charge anyway.

And there were two more attempts the next day for a lesser amount, $600 or so. Those were also declined.

I don't know if I believe their explanation, and I certainly think they had time to notify any other Am Ex users on subsequent cruises.

I can't be the only one using Am Ex for my onboard expenses.

Edited by Oceanwench

Well this is interesting. This exact same thing happened on the Legendary Rhythm and Blues cruise Jan. 18 - 25th. Many folks DID get defrauded by a supposedly some company in Utah. The charges were mainly for tents and camping equipment.

Folks on the LRBC FB page figured HAL was lying about the extent of the issue. Clearly they were. If this happened a couple of weeks before our sailing, I say shame on HAL for not dealing with this properly.

Here is the letter I received from HAL:

Thank you for sailing with us on the ms Nieuw Amsterdam Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise which departed on 1/18/2015.

We are writing to notify you of a credit card processing error that affected guests who used an American Express card to settle their onboard accounts on this sailing. Due to an unfortunate error with a new credit card processor these payments were accidentally routed through a merchant in Utah, the Great Salt Lake Council. Consequently, a charge from that company will appear on your credit card statement. We want to assure you that we have corrected the error, and that your personal information has at all times been fully encrypted. We utilize state-of-the-art military-strength encryption software to ensure the security of such sensitive information. Please know that while we greatly regret this mistake, no fraud has been committed and none of your personal or financial data has been compromised. Nonetheless, we understand and deeply regret any concern this situation may cause.

Again, we want to extend our most sincere apologies for this mistake and let you know that we are working on enhancements to prevent this from happening again in the future. And while no action is required by you, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-976-3935 if there are any questions or concerns. If you’ve already contacted your bank or American Express, we will work with you individually to resolve the matter. We appreciate your patronage and hope to be given an opportunity to welcome you on board again very soon.

Kind regards,

Credit Card Department

Holland America Line

I do recall being told this happened before by the staff onboard. Hence the offer to use their phone to call Amex Platinum for free. What makes me the most angry is that I have to spend the better part of a day to find all the vendors I use for recurring payments and update the appropriate accounts.

I think this could have been handled much better on board.

I did not receive an email from HAL about this.

So if two people here did not post what happened to them aboard NA, I never would have known.

Although I still feel there is a piece of the puzzle missing.

Again, I wish HAL had been more proactive in this - and wish the matter had been straightened out after the Blues Cruise problem arose.

I had this happen on Christmas morning of a holiday cruise a couple of years ago.

The front desk had sent a letter to my cabin saying that the credit card I had on file had been denied by my bank. Which was impossible. So I went to the desk and they alowed me to use the phone, which was wonderful as it was a sea day. The bank confirmed with me that there were suspicous charges on the card so they had cancelled it. Leaving me in the middle of the Pacific ocean with no credit card to use for the cruise. The bank gave me a new number and the front desk accepted that for use on my account.

Moral I learned....always travel with more than one card.