CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Yes, but the odds are slim that it will be this nice when I sail on Anthem in January! Having a garage to leave the car in makes life much simpler should it snow while in the warmer climes!

My thoughts exactly. :):):) Yeah! I checked the garage builder's site before getting on CC and they had no information on the garage. This makes our cruise less complicated.

Of course it might be difficult driving to a local hotel in heavy snow after our cruise, but better than waiting in line for a shuttle or a cab - especially one that might not make it to the port.

Edited by Sanz

No feedback on Element yet. Honestly, due to the hotel's location it's not going to attract many cruisers who are going to post about it. The prices are in the same range as the airport hotels. I'm sure it's very nice, but I'd have trouble recommending it on this forum to folks coming from less urban areas of the country. The area around the Harrison PATH station is not appealing.

You'll have to call independent Driver to get a quote.

Stayed at the Element before our Oct.4 cruise out of Bayonne. Nice hotel for the price. Complimentary airport shuttle, but had to pay $40 for a car service to the port. If anyone is doing the New York thing before or after the cruise, that Path train is just across the street. Easy connections to everything in New York. I would recommend this hotel for a pre or post cruise hotel. If just staying one night before or after the cruise, maybe not. Hotel itself is new, modern and clean. Good complimentary breakfast and Monday-Thurs. evening drinks. I had a really good stay.

Stayed at the Element before our Oct.4 cruise out of Bayonne. Nice hotel for the price. Complimentary airport shuttle, but had to pay $40 for a car service to the port. If anyone is doing the New York thing before or after the cruise, that Path train is just across the street. Easy connections to everything in New York. I would recommend this hotel for a pre or post cruise hotel. If just staying one night before or after the cruise, maybe not. Hotel itself is new, modern and clean. Good complimentary breakfast and Monday-Thurs. evening drinks. I had a really good stay.

Thanks for the feedback! Can you provide feedback on the neighborhood? Did you feel safe?

No feedback on Element yet. Honestly, due to the hotel's location it's not going to attract many cruisers who are going to post about it. The prices are in the same range as the airport hotels. I'm sure it's very nice, but I'd have trouble recommending it on this forum to folks coming from less urban areas of the country. The area around the Harrison PATH station is not appealing.

You'll have to call independent Driver to get a quote.

I'll give my two cents after staying at the Element. Nice hotel for the price. Airport shuttle, and found a car service for $40 to the port. Good free breakfast as well. With the Path station right across the street, it was easy to get into the City for a couple of days of sightseeing before the cruise. If someone is seeing the city before or after the cruise I would recommend this hotel. It really met my expectations (except for nearby restrauants) very good. Will stay again next time we cruise out of Bayonne.

Thanks for the feedback! Can you provide feedback on the neighborhood? Did you feel safe?

We had no issues with feeling safe. Went into the city in the morning and returned late afternoon. Ate at 5 Guys on night and a Japanese restrauant the next. A soccer game made for crowds the second night. It is not a pretty area, but the area directly around the hotel were fine.

We're thinking of driving up day of cruise (not my ideal planning, but we'll leave around 6 am and arrive ~11:00) and staying over two nights after the cruise in order to go into NYC. Will the Path train take us right into NYC? It'll be for Friday and Saturday nights. Any other suggestions near the train to take us right into the city?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're thinking of driving up day of cruise (not my ideal planning, but we'll leave around 6 am and arrive ~11:00) and staying over two nights after the cruise in order to go into NYC. Will the Path train take us right into NYC? It'll be for Friday and Saturday nights. Any other suggestions near the train to take us right into the city?

The PATH train is easy, fast, and cheap. Highly recommended.

The Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City is $204/night prepaid for April 8-10 plus parking. It's about $227 cancellable.

The Doubletree and Candlewood Suites are slightly less. The Courtyard is literally next to the underground PATH station and IMO the whole Newport area is light years nicer than Harrison, NJ with spectacular views of NY and many restaurant and shopping choices.

You need to understand how PATH works on a Fri and Sat. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Basically there is direct service to 33rd St. and world Trade all day Friday until midnight from the Newport Path station. On Sat there is direct service to 33rd St., but you have to go to Grove street and transfer to get to World Trade.

Take a look and post back with more questions.

Has anyone used Carmel Limo service. There pricing looks lower than other service going from Newark Airport to Manhattan and from Manhattan to Cape Liberty. We are flying in for 4 days in Manhattan rather then take the train from Jersey to Manhattan each day and then from Manhattan to Cape Liberty. Not going until August 21 for Anthem OTS sailing on Aug 25. Just wondering if anyone has had experience using this service.

Thanks

Edited by gnparend

Has anyone used Carmel Limo service. There pricing looks lower than other service going from Newark Airport to Manhattan and from Manhattan to Cape Liberty. We are flying in for 4 days in Manhattan rather then take the train from Jersey to Manhattan each day and then from Manhattan to Cape Liberty. Not going until August 21 for Anthem OTS sailing on Aug 25. Just wondering if anyone has had experience using this service.

Thanks

We recommend Carmel Limo all the time along with Dial7. If you search online, you will find coupons.

Anyone had experience with doing an overnight there, and can confirm they offer park and cruise? We're on Anthem/RCL June 2016. When we made reservations, the front desk said "I don't really know if we do that, but you can leave your car parked in the lot and no one will say anything."

Of course, I ended up booking a room at Embassy Suites, the night before our cruise.

And, what about shuttle service from the hotel, to Cape Liberty, and back once we return?

They do offer a cruise package on their web site for 6/15/15. $249 + $50 tax including room, parking, and round trip port transportation. Country Inns offers a similar package for the same money. The deal at EWR for a park/sleep/cruise is offered by Trinityreservations.com for $214 tax included at the Ramada Plaza. We recommend this package all the time.

Hey everyone, I'm on the Anthem TA right now. I know a lot if you are wondering what will happen when more than 4,000 of us get dumped off in Cape Liberty on Wednesday (all without cars) :). I'll let you know.

The ship is stunning, by the way. A Celebrity S-class ship on steroids. We've had several days of high winds and heavy seas, so a lot of things have had to be cancelled or postponed. Fortunately, my spouse and I got to ride the North Star the first sea day (it hasn't operated since). It was amazing, not to be missed if you sail this ship.

Hey everyone, I'm on the Anthem TA right now. I know a lot if you are wondering what will happen when more than 4,000 of us get dumped off in Cape Liberty on Wednesday (all without cars) :). I'll let you know.

Good luck and thank you for the review of the Anthem! ;)

The ship is stunning, by the way. A Celebrity S-class ship on steroids. We've had several days of high winds and heavy seas, so a lot of things have had to be cancelled or postponed. Fortunately, my spouse and I got to ride the North Star the first sea day (it hasn't operated since). It was amazing, not to be missed if you sail this ship.

Sorry to hear about your poor weather. Hope it improves soon. Looking forward to your disembarkation report. I arrived back on the Quantum in Jan in a snowstorm which wrecked havoc with disembarkation - may you have sunny skies!

Hi. We are staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station prior to our cruise on the Anthem on January 25 2016. We chose that hotel due to proximity to public transport into New York for some site seeing on Jan 24th.

We were originally going to drive to New York but have now booked on Amtrak.

So, now we need to know what's the best/fastest/cheapest way to get to the port on Monday Jan 25?

Thanks in advance.

Marion

Just left on Liberty of the Seas on November 1st. We actually flew in LGA and rented a car to stay in hotel in Newark, ran errands in the morning (got wine) and returned car to airport.

We used Lyft to get to port - first time I used this app, it was so easy. Downloaded app, used my paypal and requested ride. It took about 5 minutes for driver to show up in his gray Mercedes and the ride cost $19.05, before tip. All done over the phone, no money changed hands, even tip online. I will definitely use again. Very nice.

Now to figure out transportation in Houston....

Just wanted to let everyone know the parking garage is great. We got off Liberty of the Seas at 8:35 AM got our luggage, went through customs (worst part as there were only 3 agents) and were in our car driving at 8:52 AM. The lot is to the right as you exit the terminal. There are 2 big elevators and we parked on the 2nd level on the side closest to the terminal and elevators.

Now my only worry is will there be enough room in the garage for both RCCL and Celebrity cruisers when both ships are in port. The garage has 5 levels, but not sure how many spaces. I know most times both parking lots would be full when both ships were sailing of out Bayonne.

Edited by CruisingChick

The Anthem TA docked right on time at 5 this morning, after a beautiful sail by the Statue of Liberty at 4 AM. Self disembarkation started at 6:30, with other groups following orderly. After about an hour, immigration officials closed the line, so the rest of us are sitting in our appointed departure lounges, being entertained with quizzes (trivia). The ship's staff is doing an excellent job. The INS stuff is not their fault.

Glad we don't have a plane to catch.

It was a terrific crossing, btw. :)

The Anthem TA docked right on time at 5 this morning, after a beautiful sail by the Statue of Liberty at 4 AM. Self disembarkation started at 6:30, with other groups following orderly. After about an hour, immigration officials closed the line, so the rest of us are sitting in our appointed departure lounges, being entertained with quizzes (trivia). The ship's staff is doing an excellent job. The INS stuff is not their fault.

Glad we don't have a plane to catch.

It was a terrific crossing, btw. :)

Thanks for the update. Hope the line starts moving again soon.

At least you have good weather, so the area traffic has a better chance of running smoothly.

Glad the crossing was terrific!

Edited by 138east

Thanks for the update. Hope the line starts moving again soon.

At least you have good weather, so the area traffic has a better chance of running smoothly.

Glad the crossing was terrific!

Yes, can't beat the weather today.

The immigration line is still closed; it's been over an hour now. Everytime I experience this at the end of a cruise, I'm embarrassed for our country.