Bad timing on my part--Captains Club benefits...

Bruin Steve

Nothing really to do about this...and not that big a deal...but...thought I'd share...

When Celebrity added the new "Elite Plus" level, I was "elite" and at 24 points on the old system...Had I taken just one more short cruise somewhere, I would have been converted straight to "Elite Plus"...Instead, I was placed at "720" of the new points--needing 750 to reach Elite Plus...

Not a problem at all, I thought...I already had my next Celebrity cruise booked--a Galapagos cruise this coming July.

Now, when they originally announced it, they made no accommodation for the Galapagos cruises getting any more points than any other cruise...so, with most of the cabins, except for suites, being OV cabins, so, despite this cruisetour of 10 nights being WAY more expensive than most other Celebrity cruises in Concierge or Aqua cabins, it still would have netted a mere 20 points--leaving me still short of Elite Plus...

But Celebrity did LISTEN...and corrected the situation by posting a new point assignment chart for the Xpedition...So, the cruise is now worth 5 points per night--So, I would gain 50 points, bringing me to 770 and Elite Plus status for my subsequent cruises--important for my 13 night July 2016 Iberia cruise--when I can really use the two perks seemingly most important--the 200 minutes of free internet and the second load of laundry per person...

But, here's where the timing comes in: In the meanwhile, we decided to squeeze in another cruise THIS summer to Alaska. My original plan was to do this the week of July 24--12 days AFTER returning from our Galapagos trip...AND, because we would have collected the 50 points for the Galapagos, we would have been Elite Plus for that one...

Unfortunately, my wife's work schedule just missed allowing for doing it the week of July 24...So, rather than book Alaska for July and after the Galapagos, we were able to fit it in for Jne 12--so we get back 12 days before departing for Quito...We booked a lower category cabin in order to save money after blowing this year's budget on the Galapagos trip...so it's worth only 2 points per night--bringing us to 744--and still Elite after this cruise (doesn't really make a difference how many points since there's no benefit on Xpedition to being Elite Plus rather than Elite)...

But, here's the difference a month makes in the ultimate timing of our Alaska cruise:

Had we done it after the Galapagos, we would have had unlimited cappuccinos, lattes and espressos, 200 free minutes of internet each, discounts on specialty restaurants and wine packages and more while onboard the Alaska cruise...

Again, not a big deal--I don't need to drink that many cappuccinos--and I can just pay for them when I want them...and I can pay for extra internet minutes if I run over the Elite 90...and the specialty restaurants will just cost me an extra $12 each time...

So, all these non-perks are optional--but really worth about a couple hundred dollars when all told...The difference in the order of booking two cruises within a month of each other in the wrong order!

Again, no big deal...but interesting in how it all worked out...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Why should they do that? I'm very close to Zenith and would really like to have those points for my next cruise in April. Should they do that for everyone?

Hi Ma Bell,

I agree. IMO, I do not believe that Captains Club would add points if you are "close" to being at a new level. FWIW, I do not believe they would add points at all, other than actual sailing points earned.

Congrats on being near Zenith !

At least they are giving you some points. I had to cancel a 12 night Baltic cruise on the Connie in CC last year May at the last minute for a medical emergency. I got about $450 in port fees refunded by Celebrity and I got zero points even though they got to keep almost all of my money....I did call about it and was told "too bad, you only get points for cruises taken" .... Not a great way to win friends and influence people. The good news is I made through that little episode and I am healthy again so I can cruise again...but it would be nice to have those extra points on my pile now.

Come on, folks! Did I ever say I was asking for "extra points"? Or ANYTHING?

I was merely noting that, in a bad combination of timing events, by moving the planned cruise up a month, I wasn't going to be there yet...but would have with my original timing...

I said it wasn't a big deal...just that it all worked out interestingly...

I have a 10 day Galapagos cruise booked for next year and on my recent (2 weeks ago) Summit cruise I asked the Captains Club rep onboard how many points passengers receive for Galapagos sailings since they are so much more expensive. I was told ov receives 3 points per night same as regular sailings, so glad to know he was wrong.

My next question is do you receive the points for the cruise tour portion as well, or just for the cruise portion?? I've never seen that explained, even on Celebrity's website.

I was merely noting that, in a bad combination of timing events, by moving the planned cruise up a month, I wasn't going to be there yet...but would have with my original timing...

I viewed your post as an interesting "war story", you weren't asking or raising issue....you were just wringing your hands in public.

It's kind of the way the cookie crumbles....sometimes things work out, sometimes not so much.

You'll obviously get to the next level pretty soon....just not quite as fast as you had hoped.

The new Galapagos point system is on the X website under the Captain's Club tab - just saw that today and it certainly makes sense.

You do get the points per night on your cruise tour as well as the nights on the ship - I asked the same question when I booked our 13 night cruise/tour.

We made a decision today to downgrade to Aqua from a Celebrity suite on our Alaskan cruise which will leave us 3 - 3 tiny little points shy of being Elite for our Panama Canal cruise - so Bruin Steve - we feel your pain! ;)

I didn't think you were. I wasn't responding to your post. I imagine there are many "what ifs" out there.

Hey - here is a thought ;) - does everyone know what "Go Fund Me" is? It's online and you raise money from total strangers who find your (sob) story compelling and they chip in money - no kidding. People who are ill with no insurance, injured dogs, a woman who really wanted breast implants (and she got enough to have it done) - it's all there and people actually donate. Weird I know but they've raised (they claim) over 720 million dollars.

Anyway we should convince X to set up a "Go Point Me" - where all you people with tons of points floating around could call up and say - I'd like to give Bruin Steve (or better yet - Jane) one of my points. Bam - they take one from you and it gets given to the person you chose.

Brahahah - just kidding but that would be cool. :p

Edited by Jane2357

Hi Ma Bell,

I agree. IMO, I do not believe that Captains Club would add points if you are "close" to being at a new level. FWIW, I do not believe they would add points at all, other than actual sailing points earned.

Congrats on being near Zenith !

Thanks Andy.:)

Have you tried calling the Captains Club, sometimes they are very helpful especially since you were just shy of becoming Elite Plus they may get you the extra points.

The only time they gave additional points when someone was close that I have heard of, is when the Captain's Club changed and they gave extra points to those of us that were one cruise away from Elite.

The only time they gave additional points when someone was close that I have heard of, is when the Captain's Club changed and they gave extra points to those of us that were one cruise away from Elite.

Yes, they were giving 25 bonus points a piece for cruises booked during that period. I think I had six booked at the time so missed out on 150 bonus points which would have made me Zenith. Bad timing for me too. I do know someone who was in the same position who badgered them until he got the points. I just decided to earn mine the old fashioned way.

"Extra points" is really irrelevant in all of this...

We are one cruise away from Elite Plus...

The Galapagos cruise puts us there. Period.

Even if the Alaska cruise put us over, there is zero benefit to being Elite Plus on the Xpedition in any event...

So, one way or another, whatever cruise we take AFTER the Xpedition is the one where the benefits take effect.

If we could have done Alaska AFTER the Galapagos, we would have been Elite Plus for that cruise...By taking it PRIOR to the Xpedition, it's Elite only...

Extra points would mean nothing...We'll be Elite Plus afte the Galapagos...whenever we otherwise cruise...

My only point really, was the TIMING: Had we done the Galapagos, then Alaska, we're Elite Plus for Alaska...By doing Alaska then the Galapagos, we're not Elite Plus until July 2016 on the Constellation...

We're getting 64 points this summer anyway...it's just the order of the points that makes a difference...

"Extra points" is really irrelevant in all of this...

We are one cruise away from Elite Plus...

The Galapagos cruise puts us there. Period.

Even if the Alaska cruise put us over, there is zero benefit to being Elite Plus on the Xpedition in any event...

So, one way or another, whatever cruise we take AFTER the Xpedition is the one where the benefits take effect.

If we could have done Alaska AFTER the Galapagos, we would have been Elite Plus for that cruise...By taking it PRIOR to the Xpedition, it's Elite only...

Extra points would mean nothing...We'll be Elite Plus afte the Galapagos...whenever we otherwise cruise...

My only point really, was the TIMING: Had we done the Galapagos, then Alaska, we're Elite Plus for Alaska...By doing Alaska then the Galapagos, we're not Elite Plus until July 2016 on the Constellation...

We're getting 64 points this summer anyway...it's just the order of the points that makes a difference...

I was actually responding to VikingRob, who suggested calling Captain's Club to get additional points put on your account and wasn't responding to your particular situation.

Yes, they were giving 25 bonus points a piece for cruises booked during that period. I think I had six booked at the time so missed out on 150 bonus points which would have made me Zenith. Bad timing for me too. I do know someone who was in the same position who badgered them until he got the points. I just decided to earn mine the old fashioned way.

I was speaking with Celebrity around the time they made the change--but because of the Xpedition point schedule--not any "extra points" thing...But, in the discussion, the thing about the "extra points" came up...Actually, they were awarding some extra point bonuses ONLY to those just short of Elite--NOT the new higher categories...Pretty clear from the people with whom I was speaking--who really did know what they were talking about...

So, you would NOT have received any bonus points toward Zenith just as I would not have received any toward Elite Plus...They had a certain twisted logic as to why...but no arguing with that--Whatever they decide to do is completely within their prerogative...As customers, we need to just accept whatever the program is--it's a freebie anyway...They could change the benefits or do away with the program at any time at their sole discretion...

Besides, I really cruise for the cruise itself--not the perks...The perks are just a nice little gift--not a "right"...

Edited by Bruin Steve

The new Galapagos point system is on the X website under the Captain's Club tab - just saw that today and it certainly makes sense.

You do get the points per night on your cruise tour as well as the nights on the ship - I asked the same question when I booked our 13 night cruise/tour.

We made a decision today to downgrade to Aqua from a Celebrity suite on our Alaskan cruise which will leave us 3 - 3 tiny little points shy of being Elite for our Panama Canal cruise - so Bruin Steve - we feel your pain! ;)

Thanks for this information about the tab. I was thinking of a thread to ask about points for the Galapagos. It does seem like 5 is not adequate considering the cost as we got five for our cons/aqua cabins booked this year. What it does is make it no rush to book that cruise. I had thought of doing it as soon as I could get a cabin to push us up to Elite. Now there is no more point value in doing that than any other cons/aqua booking. Still want to go, just no rush to do so.

Nothing really to do about this...and not that big a deal...but...thought I'd share...

When Celebrity added the new "Elite Plus" level, I was "elite" and at 24 points on the old system...Had I taken just one more short cruise somewhere, I would have been converted straight to "Elite Plus"...Instead, I was placed at "720" of the new points--needing 750 to reach Elite Plus...

Not a problem at all, I thought...I already had my next Celebrity cruise booked--a Galapagos cruise this coming July.

Now, when they originally announced it, they made no accommodation for the Galapagos cruises getting any more points than any other cruise...so, with most of the cabins, except for suites, being OV cabins, so, despite this cruisetour of 10 nights being WAY more expensive than most other Celebrity cruises in Concierge or Aqua cabins, it still would have netted a mere 20 points--leaving me still short of Elite Plus...

But Celebrity did LISTEN...and corrected the situation by posting a new point assignment chart for the Xpedition...So, the cruise is now worth 5 points per night--So, I would gain 50 points, bringing me to 770 and Elite Plus status for my subsequent cruises--important for my 13 night July 2016 Iberia cruise--when I can really use the two perks seemingly most important--the 200 minutes of free internet and the second load of laundry per person...

But, here's where the timing comes in: In the meanwhile, we decided to squeeze in another cruise THIS summer to Alaska. My original plan was to do this the week of July 24--12 days AFTER returning from our Galapagos trip...AND, because we would have collected the 50 points for the Galapagos, we would have been Elite Plus for that one...

Unfortunately, my wife's work schedule just missed allowing for doing it the week of July 24...So, rather than book Alaska for July and after the Galapagos, we were able to fit it in for Jne 12--so we get back 12 days before departing for Quito...We booked a lower category cabin in order to save money after blowing this year's budget on the Galapagos trip...so it's worth only 2 points per night--bringing us to 744--and still Elite after this cruise (doesn't really make a difference how many points since there's no benefit on Xpedition to being Elite Plus rather than Elite)...

But, here's the difference a month makes in the ultimate timing of our Alaska cruise:

Had we done it after the Galapagos, we would have had unlimited cappuccinos, lattes and espressos, 200 free minutes of internet each, discounts on specialty restaurants and wine packages and more while onboard the Alaska cruise...

Again, not a big deal--I don't need to drink that many cappuccinos--and I can just pay for them when I want them...and I can pay for extra internet minutes if I run over the Elite 90...and the specialty restaurants will just cost me an extra $12 each time...

So, all these non-perks are optional--but really worth about a couple hundred dollars when all told...The difference in the order of booking two cruises within a month of each other in the wrong order!

Again, no big deal...but interesting in how it all worked out...

Steve -- it could always be worse.

You could still have Lavin at Pauley :)

Best to Beth.

Hmmm. I wonder whether the new point system for Galapagos is retroactive. We went in 2013 and did the 11-day cruisetour. For my $5,200, I received a whopping 30 points. We're getting closer to Elite Plus, too, so the extra points could make a difference down the road.

I'll have to give Captain's Club a call one of these days. If anyone has checked lately, let me know how you made out.

I was speaking with Celebrity around the time they made the change--but because of the Xpedition point schedule--not any "extra points" thing...But, in the discussion, the thing about the "extra points" came up...Actually, they were awarding some extra point bonuses ONLY to those just short of Elite--NOT the new higher categories...Pretty clear from the people with whom I was speaking--who really did know what they were talking about...

So, you would NOT have received any bonus points toward Zenith just as I would not have received any toward Elite Plus...They had a certain twisted logic as to why...but no arguing with that--Whatever they decide to do is completely within their prerogative...As customers, we need to just accept whatever the program is--it's a freebie anyway...They could change the benefits or do away with the program at any time at their sole discretion...

Besides, I really cruise for the cruise itself--not the perks...The perks are just a nice little gift--not a "right"...

I do know a man who got to Zenith by getting those bonus points. I think it was a different program that lasted a short time and gave 25 extra points for cruises booked during that time. His were already booked as mine were and he talked them into giving him the points.

I agree and have not cruised for the points but getting to Zenith has some very nice rewards.

Hi Ma Bell! We haven't cruised with you in awhile. Congrats on getting close to Zenith. We're Elite + but not even Zen yet.

I agree that sometimes timing is everything! Just like timing your bookings-some book early for selection and some take their chances and wait late to book with reduced fares. We've all seen it and sometimes you get a deal and sometimes you miss out.

Hope everyone enjoys whatever Capt. Club level they're at.

If it is not a big deal why did you bring it up? Be happy that they created the new level with more perks. You will get there soon enough.