does a guarantee get upgraded before a ws cabin?

mysaddlebred000

I have never booked a guarantee cabin so I have no idea what the answer is.

My daughter and her husband booked two window suite guarantees and are taking his grandparents on a cruise for their 60th wedding anniversary.

I think what happened was there were not two window suite cabins right next to each other so they chose guarantee and figured Princess might select cabins next to each other since the bookings were linked together.

My daughter called me and said she looked on the Princess site and all the window suites are sold but nothing is down for their cabins yet.

They really don't care if they have a balcony or not and that's why they thought the window suites with the nice large windows would be super for the grandparents and their goal is to make sure this anniversary cruise is a wonderful experience.

Now she is wondering if they might get split up the bookings and they may end up in another full suites but not together. They booked through the Internet and called the agency but they were no help.

I guess that question she is wondering is:

With a suite guarantee do they normally upgrade the window suite people to another suite - vs or ph or do the guarantee people get upgraded?

Anyone have any experience? They never told me about this before they booked or I would have told them just to book two window suites.

Thanks for any help.

They are more likely to upgrade folks who paid full fare for their cabin, so they can give the window cabins to your family.....rather than upgrading someone who paid less for their booking!

Doesn't sound like they NEED to be right next door...not like there are little kids in a cabin alone!

Personally, if I was the G-parent, and was upgraded to a full suite NOT next to my grandson, I'd be thrilled!

There is no set method for upgrading that i have heard of. When booking a guarantee the only thing you can count on is that you will get the type of cabin you paid for or better.

Has your daughter had her TA link the reservations? It won't guarantee the cabins are near each other but MAY give a heads up of some sort to Princess.

There is no real answer to your question since the system of upgrades is a mystery. No one knows exactly how or why or wom they happen. Lately there have been upsells rather then free upgrades.

About the category being sold out, they know how many GTY's they have so they stopped selling them because they have them filled, just not assigned yet.

This question is strictly out of not knowing the answer, but curious.

I did not know that you could guarantee a Window Suite if all were sold out since there is such a limited supply. Does this mean that Princess has no other choice but to offer you a full suite because of the guarantee?

I ask this question because my first choice on the Grand ships is a Window Suite and I know they are generally sold out months (or a year) out from the voyage. Or...all that is left is F301, a much smaller cabin.

Interesting thread and I will keep an eye on this.

I did not know that you could guarantee a Window Suite if all were sold out since there is such a limited supply. Does this mean that Princess has no other choice but to offer you a full suite because of the guarantee?

Before a category is sold out, you can either book a specific cabin (if that is still available) or a GTY.

Once the Princess computers determine that the booked cabins and GTY bookings for that category have reached the predetermined limit, then it will be marked as "sold out" and no more GTY bookings allowed.

Like airlines, cruise lines will overbook based on historical data about cancellations, so the total of booked cabins and GTY bookings for a category may be more than the number of cabins in that category.

As time goes on, cancellations and upsells may reduce the bookings for that category to the point that all the GTYs can be met in that category and they will be assigned.

If there are not enough cancellations or other movements in that category, that is when free upgrades will be made.

Edited by caribill

There is no set method for upgrading that i have heard of. When booking a guarantee the only thing you can count on is that you will get the type of cabin you paid for or better.

Has your daughter had her TA link the reservations? It won't guarantee the cabins are near each other but MAY give a heads up of some sort to Princess.

They used some internet site - he made the reservation and didn't say who it was with. I really think someone else told him about the site and he jumped on it without talking to my daughter. Since we cruise so much, I thought it was strange that she did not ask us what we thought of the deal. What I understand is there were two available and yes, one was 301 and not sure what the other one was. He wants to be close to them to be sure they take their meds, etc. No mobility issues but he just worries about them.

That was six months ago and she said both were still available until about a month ago and then one was gone leaving 301. But that one disappeared last week.

I am wondering if Princess thinks there will be cancellations and fill them from those. She did say that after they booked, there were no more guarantees available for the ws. Also, the guarantees were the same price as just booking one. That's why I told them to just book them. I haven't looked at guarantee prices for years but I always thought it was cheaper to do them. Why risk getting a crappy cabin for the same price as booking a cabin in that category.

So, the people that booked ws's paid the same price as the guarantees - that is why I am wondering who gets upgraded . I would think ws would be asked if they want to do an upsell since there is a large difference in price than the full suites. I never thought ws's were worth it but I need my balcony and want the room I want. Blows my mind how they do it.

When I researched this question a couple of years ago, it seems that most often the higher level suites were offered as upsells to past passengers in mini-suites.

I don't think it is common for people in the WS's to get complimentary upgrades for the reason you mentioned - the cost difference between the WS and other suites can be significant. The company can generate some extra revenue by selling them, but I don't remember finding any reports of people being offered an upsell from a WS. There may be a few times when people were upgraded from a WS, but I expect that the number of quarantees is strictly limited so that Princess does not have to assign very many higher suites to folks who paid the entry level price.

I didn't know you could even book a guarantee window suite. But assuming that you can, I'm sure Princess is not going to sell any more than they actually have, knowing full well that every one over the number they have will need to be upgraded to a full suite.

The only alternative would be to offer someone a mini-suite at a seriously reduced fare or a lot of onboard credit or both.

I feel pretty sure they will get their two window suites--maybe not together--but it doesn't really matter because there aren't that many.

On the 28th of Feb sailing of the Crown to Mexico, the Mini suites on the Emerald deck have been sold out for a week. They are still selling mini-suites guarantees for that category cabin. There are some other Mini suites available in a higher category. This would be similar to your concern as all the mini-suites are grouped together and as long as there is a category still available then the could move someone up to create an opening for you.

There are only a few WS on each ship, and they are all in the same spot, behind a wall. I don't see how they could get much closer to each other. Also, it's possible that one cabin will be upgraded and the other not, and the 2 could be at different ends of the ship.

Not sure who they booked with, but I'd strongly suggest that they get on the phone, if they have to call 25 times, and get them to mark those cabins 'do not upgrade'. This is one of the beauties of using an available, helpful TA, as I know that you know.

Maureen

Not sure who they booked with, but I'd strongly suggest that they get on the phone, if they have to call 25 times, and get them to mark those cabins 'do not upgrade'. This is one of the beauties of using an available, helpful TA, as I know that you know.

That works once you have an assigned cabin.

But booking a GTY means you will accept anything in that category or higher. That is the definition of a GTY booking.

That works once you have an assigned cabin.

But booking a GTY means you will accept anything in that category or higher. That is the definition of a GTY booking.

As a Disabled Person, I booked F315 on the Golden Princess and asked about No Upgrades being put on the booking. The TA said she tried, I saw her typing, and the computer wouldn't allow it. I know the Window Suite is the only Suite with Disabled Accessibility so feel confident I'll be in it. Counting the days!

Crochetcruise :cool:

...So, the people that booked ws's paid the same price as the guarantees - that is why I am wondering who gets upgraded...

One factor may be how many (if any) of those who booked specific WS cabins requested "no upgrade".

One thing that many don't realize--once they are assigned cabins, they can have their TA contact Princess and have them moved to any available cabins in that category. Doing so might allow them to get two cabins next to each other if they weren't assigned that way to start with. Then have them marked "no upgrade" :).

Edited by Ryndam2002
spelling

As a Disabled Person, I booked F315 on the Golden Princess and asked about No Upgrades being put on the booking. The TA said she tried, I saw her typing, and the computer wouldn't allow it...

I would ask her to please call Princess to have them do it, if she is not able to online. Perhaps there is some sort of automatic "no upgrade" for disabled cabins these days, but I would want that confirmed.

I don't mean to alarm you, but I get the feeling you have your heart set on a window suite, and have read reports on other threads of those in disabled cabins in the past being "upgraded" to non-disabled ones :eek:. I would definitely follow up on this to be sure you get what you want (and paid for).

Edited by Ryndam2002

I have been in many Window Suites and have never been moved or upgraded to a full suite. I have spoken to many who have been upgraded/upsold to a WS from an Ocean View room. I have been told (hearsay) that Princess rarely moves someone from a mini/balcony to a WS (since they don't have balconies). I have been on the Golden where the WS are sold out but not the full suites. I was offered an upsell from a mini to a full suite.

I am mentioning all of these options because I am doubtful that Princess would offer a full suite for free since it is almost double the price of a Window Suite (comparable fare to a mini).

Please do report back what the final results were. I am sure there are many who would be interested in hearing how this turned out. I am wishing you success in getting 2 Window Suites (or better) on your daughter's upcoming cruise.

Sincerely....

Edited by cr8tiv1