No cabin a week from departure

smithm1986

We are relatively new to cruising and have a guarantee inside cabin leaving in a weeks time with still no allocation.

The sailing has been sold out for a good few weeks now, is it normal that allocations are left this late? We've always had ours a long while before now.

Thanks

We are relatively new to cruising and have a guarantee inside cabin leaving in a weeks time with still no allocation.

The sailing has been sold out for a good few weeks now, is it normal that allocations are left this late? We've always had ours a long while before now.

Thanks

Keep checking your travel summary/bag tags on the Princess website personalizer. It will show your cabin number when assigned. You can check up to the day of sailing. The night before should show it.

So if you have not had a cabin assigned by the time you arrive at the pier, what do you do with your 'checked' bags since there is no baggage tag to attach bearing your cabin number?

Some of the porters should have an up-to-date list of cabin assignments.

Hi All

What happened to us was bags were taken to holding area on deck four, we were issued blank blue cards, to get us onboard, after sail away we had to go to pursers desk were we go new cards and our cabin number, our bags arrived at the cabin same time we did, the reason was ship was wanting to do maintenance to cabins so waited to after sailaway to confirm passenger numbers onboard, so they could take a block of cabins out of service,

yours Shogun

Hi All

What happened to us was bags were taken to holding area on deck four, we were issued blank blue cards, to get us onboard, after sail away we had to go to pursers desk were we go new cards and our cabin number, our bags arrived at the cabin same time we did, the reason was ship was wanting to do maintenance to cabins so waited to after sailaway to confirm passenger numbers onboard, so they could take a block of cabins out of service,

So you had four or so hours on board without knowing your cabin number and having to go around with your carryon items?

Hi caribill

Hotel manager took us to an inside cabin and gave us another blank card, so we could use it if we wanted, but told us it was one of the cabins being taken out of use for maintenance, all we did was leave our bags there and took the life jackets the cabin we were given was on the same deck a few doors down but next to elevator, ship sent a bottle of wine and flowers for our trouble, however a few days into cruise cabin had water coming through ceiling so offered to move us, but we decided just to stay we watched Plummer, joiner at work, ship gave us a free meal and wine in Crown Grill for our trouble, it was around midnight when we reported leak

Yours Shogun

Hi All

yours Shogun

Interesting to hear how that ship worked it. Makes good sense to do it that way. I am sure those affected see it as a pain on boarding day, as would I, but ultimately I'd understand since it is GTY cabin.

I've had GTY cabins before, sometimes getting an assignment within a couple of days...funny time had that happen and then a few weeks later it was changed, actually to a better location within same overall category, so technically an upgrade, and by chance it moved us from further from family aboard to much closer to them...just a fluke as the rezzies were not linked because the family was getting a surprise we were aboard. Ultimately never been upset with cabin assignments when getting a GTY.

We left for Auckland New Zealand a few years ago without an assigned cabin. It was unnerving, especially since all of the folks with guarantees on our roll call were assigned cabins a week before we left. We found out when I used the Auckland airport wifi to check email after landing. I think most people receive cabins earlier, but it can happen at any time as others have said, no need for concern.

There is nothing to worry about. Unlike airlines, Princess does not involuntarily dump people. They will assign you a cabin at the booked category or at a higher category or they will make you an offer good enough that you will be happy to accept it.

On a cruise from New Zealand to Australia (with an oceanview guarantee), I flew to LA to stay overnight before catching my flight to Auckland three days before the cruise. I received a telephone call at my hotel from my travel agent telling me that Princess had oversold and asking if we would be willing to accept an interior instead at a substantial price savings (almost a free cruise except for fees and taxes). We were happy to do so and accepted. If we had not accepted, they would have contacted someone else or raised the offer until someone was happy.

Princess didn't lose anything by giving us the almost free cruise. As soon as we got home, we used the money we got back to book another cruise.:)

They have also offered some people options to move to another date if they could do so - offering a lot of money back to do so.

They may be waiting for some other people with insides to respond to an upsell offer. If they respond, then you will get an inside. Lately, they seem to have been working harder to sell upsells instead of giving free upgrades.

We always book guaranteed cabins. In our experience, the closer you get to sailing without a cabin assignment, the greater your chances of an upgrade. Good luck! On our last cruise, we were given a mini-suite just 6 days from sailing! We had booked a guaranteed balcony cabin. Woo-hoo!

My aunt and I booked our cabin in November as an inside guarantee. We about 30 days out and no room assignment. We're hoping for at least an obstructed outside, as all of the interior rooms and outside rooms are showing sold. Not worried at all. We might get a fabulous upgrade, or we might still be inside. As long as we have a room with twin beds, a working toilet and shower, and a good cabin steward, we are happy.:D

Never book a room less than you will enjoy, don't bet on an upgrade by booking a guarentee.

I have hsd a room assigned as late as a day before departure.

Sold out rooms can be room held for guarentees, or segments if the cruise has multiple legs

Thanks

Our last cruise, our cabin wasn't assigned until the afternoon before boarding the ship. Do not worry, they will have a cabin for you. We lucked out....paid for a balcony and were upgraded to a mini-suite. It is an unusual situation, but it does happen.