trying to plan a cruise - help with ports?

andersonpartyof2

Hello,

My husband and I are trying to plan our very first cruise (yay!). I have been doing a ton of research and I am now just trying to narrow down with cruise we want to go on, but need some help on the ports...

The only excursion my husband wants to do is to swim with the dolphins, which is easy enough for me to find a port that has that excursion, but for the rest of the time, we really just want beautiful beaches to relax near. IT does not matter to me if the beaches are crowded or not so I dont need to be trekking long distances to find a private beach but I would prefer to pick ports where the beaches are within very close walking distance of the ports. Can anyone give me a few recommendations for that?

I'm really looking more for just getting off the ship and the beach being right there... I dont want to have to ferry anywhere.

Well, you left out a few important details -- like what islands you're going to. But anyway, the best place on this forum to find out specific information is the Ports of Call Boards.

In St Thomas there are some good options that vary depending on which port your ship is berthed. If at Havensight you can grab a taxi and go a very short way to Morningside. If you want to go further afar the same taxis would take you out to Saphire or even Magan's Bay. If you dock at the Crown Bay area then a good option it to grab a taxi over to nearby Lindbergh Bay (by the airport) where there is a small (but nice) sandy beach with a couple of beach bars/restaurants and chair rentals.

But the problem is that you have not even not even listed any ports so not sure how can speculate. DW and I are beach fanatics (for over forty years) and have our favorite beaches on nearly every Caribbean Island. We also can advise which public transit works best, where you need a taxi, or in a very few cases (like on Grand Turk) where you can simply walk to the beach.

Hank

Maybe get a guide book like Fodor's Caribbean Ports of Call (available at the library if you don't want to buy).

It lists all the usual Caribbean cruise ports and what the best beaches are, distance from the pier, excursions, dining, etc. (As a bonus, it also discusses the various cruise lines and helps you sort out which might suit your style best).

Once you figure out which ports have most of what you want to do, you can start looking for itineraries that include most or all of the ports you are interested in.

I think you will find most of the beaches are going to be a taxi ride from the docks

Look for a cruise that stops at the cruiseline's private island For example, Royal Caribbean's private island in Haitii at Labadee. You dock and then walk the pier to the beaches.

Otherwise cruise ships dock at ports - along with other vessels - many are more industrialized - you wouldn't want to be swimming around the pier.

In my opinion beaches are usually more of a short cab ride away from the dock/pier, especially if you want a nice clean beach.

Get a guidebook...it will tell you ALL about the beaches in each place...and all about available transportation!

There are seldom good beaches right next to the port/dock....

The more you know about where you're going, the better time you'll have!

Edited by cb at sea

The best beaches within walking distance of the ship are the private islands owned by the cruise companies. Free lounge chairs and an included barbeque lunch. Those are my favorites since it is so easy.

I'm really looking more for just getting off the ship and the beach being right there... I dont want to have to ferry anywhere.

picture of the beach from the pier in Grand Turk

i-89mgt3v-M.jpg

i-D5VKNDS-M.jpg

Edited by LHT28

Agree that an itinerary with a day at a private island is good for beach lovers.

We have enjoyed Half Moon Cay and Coco Cay.

Also enjoyed Grand Turk which has a beach at the port and also a bigger

beach nearby at Governor's Beach.

The town beach in Philipsburg, St Maarten is ok, but not what we would call a beautiful beach. We went to Orient Beach but it was quite crowded.

We really like Magen's Bay Beach in St. Thomas, but others like Sapphire.

Magen's is clean with fine sand and is a park. It can be busy, but we enjoy it busy or not.

If Nassau is on your cruise, Cable Beach is nice or the British Colonial Hilton is within walking distance.

Have fun planning your cruise.

HAL has a 7-day Eastern Caribbean that sounds great for you. Its our favorite winter getaway cruise.

Grand Turk - walk off the ship to a beautiful, uncrowded beach.

San Juan - interesting areas to explore.

St. Thomas - can take an excursion to Tortola to swim with the dolphins.

Half Moon Cay - HAL's private island. Wonderful beach plus many activities (horse back riding thru the surf, snorkeling with mantas, etc.)

Well, you left out a few important details -- like what islands you're going to. But anyway, the best place on this forum to find out specific information is the Ports of Call Boards.

I mentioned that I hadn't chosen my cruise yet. I want to choose based on which ports will have beaches right near the port. I haven't found any info on the ports of call forum for what I am looking for.

In St Thomas there are some good options that vary depending on which port your ship is berthed. If at Havensight you can grab a taxi and go a very short way to Morningside. If you want to go further afar the same taxis would take you out to Saphire or even Magan's Bay. If you dock at the Crown Bay area then a good option it to grab a taxi over to nearby Lindbergh Bay (by the airport) where there is a small (but nice) sandy beach with a couple of beach bars/restaurants and chair rentals.

But the problem is that you have not even not even listed any ports so not sure how can speculate. DW and I are beach fanatics (for over forty years) and have our favorite beaches on nearly every Caribbean Island. We also can advise which public transit works best, where you need a taxi, or in a very few cases (like on Grand Turk) where you can simply walk to the beach.

Hank

Thank you for your help. I did not mention and ports because I am looking to choose my cruise based on the suggestions from you guys about which ports dock/tender right near a beach. I want to walk off the ship and be at the beach... No taxis for me!

Maybe get a guide book like Fodor's Caribbean Ports of Call (available at the library if you don't want to buy).

It lists all the usual Caribbean cruise ports and what the best beaches are, distance from the pier, excursions, dining, etc. (As a bonus, it also discusses the various cruise lines and helps you sort out which might suit your style best).

Once you figure out which ports have most of what you want to do, you can start looking for itineraries that include most or all of the ports you are interested in.

Thank you!! You really understood my question, and I appreciate that.

Agree that an itinerary with a day at a private island is good for beach lovers.

We have enjoyed Half Moon Cay and Coco Cay.

Also enjoyed Grand Turk which has a beach at the port and also a bigger

beach nearby at Governor's Beach.

The town beach in Philipsburg, St Maarten is ok, but not what we would call a beautiful beach. We went to Orient Beach but it was quite crowded.

We really like Magen's Bay Beach in St. Thomas, but others like Sapphire.

Magen's is clean with fine sand and is a park. It can be busy, but we enjoy it busy or not.

If Nassau is on your cruise, Cable Beach is nice or the British Colonial Hilton is within walking distance.

Have fun planning your cruise.

Thank you! I will do some research into these ports!

That's an interesting way to choose a cruise. Most people are befuddled by ports vs. ship. I've cruised the Caribbean at least 15 times. There are many great beaches just a short, inexpensive ride away. And ship matters for those of us who've cruised extensively. The posters are correct....a private island fits your bill....

HAL has a 7-day Eastern Caribbean that sounds great for you. Its our favorite winter getaway cruise.

Grand Turk - walk off the ship to a beautiful, uncrowded beach.

San Juan - interesting areas to explore.

St. Thomas - can take an excursion to Tortola to swim with the dolphins.

Half Moon Cay - HAL's private island. Wonderful beach plus many activities (horse back riding thru the surf, snorkeling with mantas, etc.)

Sounds beautiful.. Can I ask what HAL is?

That's an interesting way to choose a cruise. Most people are befuddled by ports vs. ship. I've cruised the Caribbean at least 15 times. There are many great beaches just a short, inexpensive ride away. And ship matters for those of us who've cruised extensively. The posters are correct....a private island fits your bill....

Ship definitely matters to me as well... But there are a few ships I'm interested in with similar itineraries, so out of those ships I've narrowed it down to, I can then chose which itinerary I prefer.

To be honest, I'm really freaked out by cab rides, so I'd prefer to be able to walk to the beach where I can just relax.

The only excursion my husband wants to do is to swim with the dolphins, which is easy enough for me to find a port that has that excursion ....

Have you decided in which port of call your husband will be doing his "swim with the dolphins"?

LuLu