Itchy Laundry

Trickie Dickie

I just completed two cruises first on Constellation, then Silhouette. On both cruises I used my Elite coupon and had some laundry done. I couldn't wear the T-Shirts washed on either ship as I immediately started to itch and burn. I am not normally sensitive to laundry detergent. I use regular Tide at home. But it was a immediate reaction when I put the shirts on. I put on a fresh shirt from home and I had no problem. I ended up just not wearing the washed ones from either ship. I guess they use very powerful chemicals.

Anyone have the same experience? :D

I just completed two cruises first on Constellation, then Silhouette. On both cruises I used my Elite coupon and had some laundry done. I couldn't wear the T-Shirts washed on either ship as I immediately started to itch and burn. I am not normally sensitive to laundry detergent. I use regular Tide at home. But it was a immediate reaction when I put the shirts on. I put on a fresh shirt from home and I had no problem. I ended up just not wearing the washed ones from either ship. I guess they use very powerful chemicals.

Anyone have the same experience? :D

That is odd. I would think the sheets and towels are washed with the same detergent.......

Perhaps something went wrong and the detergent was not rinsed out of your laundry properly-this could cause the reaction you are describing.

Overloading the machine or adding too much detergent could cause this.

As others have stated, I doubt it is the detergent as you would have had problems on the first evening when you slept on or in the sheets.

Perhaps sending the laundry back and asking for it to be thoroughly re-rinsed may have resolved the issue.

Just a thought.

DH has this problem with any ship laundry. I use the no additive kind at home and have to rewash his socks, especially, when we get home. I think they have to use less gentle detergents/additives to keep everything sanitary. He doesn't have the same problem with the shirts or sheets but socks seem to be the big issue for him.

Allergies can develop at any point in time...hope you're not getting the soap one, OP. Or maybe that ship used more than normal. Was there Noro onboard?

DH has this problem with any ship laundry. I use the no additive kind at home and have to rewash his socks, especially, when we get home. I think they have to use less gentle detergents/additives to keep everything sanitary. He doesn't have the same problem with the shirts or sheets but socks seem to be the big issue for him.

Allergies can develop at any point in time...hope you're not getting the soap one, OP. Or maybe that ship used more than normal. Was there Noro onboard?

No Noro on either cruise.

I had the same problem on both ships, Constellation and Silhouette. I wasn't brave enough to put on the underwear or socks. :D

I had the same problem on both ships, Constellation and Silhouette. I wasn't brave enough to put on the underwear or socks. :D

I have experienced this in the past as well but other times no issues. I'm sure it has to do with the laundry detergent that is used.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've had laundry done on every cruise we've taken for years and never have had an issue. I wonder if it is a recent change in detergent or if it is something unusual that you are sensitive to.

Correct. No trouble with the sheets or towels.

Do they use different equipment for customer laundry? I imagine the sheets and towel washing goes 24/7.

While I've never seen the laundry operation I've got to imagine that the sheets and towels go through a different process to handle the huge volume of these.

My husband and I are both Elite+ and almost always use the four laundry coupons we are issued for the two of us. We have never had any problems as described by the OP. I am curious as to whether the OP reported his reaction to Guest Relations.

I did not. I had lots of clothing to wear. I overpack habitually. :D

I had the same problem about six years ago on the Infinity. I've never been brave enough to try again. I was actually in pain. I didn't figure out what was going on until after the cruise ended, so no report was made.

We use our coupons on my DH clothes with no problem. I bring a small liquid Tide HE with me and wash my own things in the sink. It's a challenge but it's worth the effort.

Judy

Now if you had fully embraced that 123 promotion the alcohol would have offset any discomfort from the laundry. ;) And if you still were feeling some pain I hear that Gin and Tonic is the perfect medium to wash out those knickers and socks!:D

Now if you had fully embraced that 123 promotion the alcohol would have offset any discomfort from the laundry. ;) And if you still were feeling some pain I hear that Gin and Tonic is the perfect medium to wash out those knickers and socks!:D

I actually did the 123. Free drinks and $200 onboard. :D

Sorry about your problem. I developed rash after a cruise where our laundry was done, it was all over me. Had testing and discovered sensitivity to common soap ingredient. Maybe they use more concentrated amount on laundry. Liked the idea of less to pack but won't risk it again.

I have since re-washed everything that they washed. All is well. :D