Dining, I am confused!!

Hi, I am confused :o

We are going on our first cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas this March.

I am trying to work out the dining.

So I am thinking that if I book MTD I can just show up and possibly have to wait a little or I can make a booking on the boat?

We have 2 children 5 & 7 - what about them?

Do I book for them also? I assume they eat with us?

If I book for them and they are at the kids club what happens then?

I have been reading the posts but I am still not really sure what I need to do.

In a perfect world I don't really want the commitment of having a set time for dinner, I would rather wing it.

Advice is very much appreciated

Thanks

PS. when will the entertainment usually show up on the website btw

For MTD you can show up when you want with however many people and most likely have very little wait. If you want you can make reservations each day for that evening.

If the kids are enjoying AO you might want to consider taking them to an early dinner at WJ then you can enjoy a dinner for 2 while they are at AO.

So do I need to book MTD for the kids? If I book for them does it matter if they don't go?

If you are making advanced reservations for MTD, you should include everyone you want at your table, regardless of age.

Rhapsody just has basic shows, headliner, production song & dance, magician or comedian, etc. They will be in your daily newsletter/planner (the Compass) onboard. They will not show up on the website before boarding.

The good news is that reservations for the onboard shows isn't necessary. If there is something you wish to see, you can just go. :D

Enjoy your cruise!

See this is why I am confused, I don't want to make advanced bookings but I thought I need to say yes to MTD? So do I just say yes to MTD for the whole family and the wing it from there?

Thanks coralc, good to know 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Making reservations before the cruise is optional, and not required. If you want, you can show up at the dining room when you want to eat, or you can make reservations once onboard.

See this is why I am confused, I don't want to make advanced bookings but I thought I need to say yes to MTD? So do I just say yes to MTD for the whole family and the wing it from there?

Thanks coralc, good to know 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES! Once you select MTD for your reservation you will pre-pay your tips at final payment...after that Royal really doesn't care where you eat, or when...or how many...you can just show up in the MDR with whoever is ready to eat & you are good to go...just like any restraurant at home..

The concept is that you can show up anytime you want with MTD. However, we have found that they really pressure you to make reservations and are not happy if you choose to "just show up".

That being said, some nights we made reservations, others we did not. On the evenings without reservations, we never waited more that 5 minutes.

Edited by sippican

Unless it's a night where Adventure Ocean is doing an Adventure Dinner on a particular night (which you have to sign them up for in advance, and they don't do it every night), you're still going to have to make sure the kids are fed one way or the other. Furthermore, unless they are doing Adventure Dinner, Adventure Ocean is closed for a couple of hours which generally coincide with the Traditional Dining early seating.

Edited by nolesrule

Do not be confused. You can pretty much do whatever you want. If you do not make reservations, simply go to dinner when you feel like it, which might be the Windjammer or MDR, and it won't matter if it is the two of you or the four of you.

I think the confusion lies in the difference between choosing MTD and then setting reservations with MTD.

When you book a cruise you choose for all in your party, at least on Rhapsody:

1. My Time Dining or

2. Early Seating Traditional Dining or

3. Late Seating Traditional Dining

If you choose My Time Dining you will be charged all of your gratuities (even for your room steward) at booking time. MTD is very flexible and will allow you to set a standard MTD reservation time or just show up with whoever is in your party. You may or may not have the same waiters every night...I know they strive to seat you in the same area and with the same waiters but it is not promised.

Edited by debandbill