Wine and When We First Cruised.......

sail7seas

I can see DH doing this. I do longer drink wine . But we always request a 4 top as we are worried about being assigned with people who may not appreciate dd and DS.

But I wanted to share a shocking non cruise but related story. DH had a friend and his wife visit years ago. They were fast friends growing up. His wife was so nice the first few times I met her but this visit she was miserable. It was her idea to go out for dinner so I hired our usual babysitter for their girls and our two. She decided she was not comfortable with this arrangement so she invited her brother in law to drive 2.5 hours to come to our house to pick up her two girls. She goes on and on about how much she loves wine and for her 50th her husband gave her 50 bottles of wine. So there we are at a restaurant and she orders a bottle of wine...for herself. She didn't even offer any to her husband.

How rude was that? For perspective she told me where she wanted to visit then criticized my driving and on our way home the next day, while the guys were golfing she told me that she had invited 17 people for lunch! We were 45 minutes away from home and "her" guest were arriving in 30 minutes.

The sharing wine reminded me of this very unpleasant experience.

I don't think she would be my friend after all that.

Some people seem awkward about it these days. They need to have a 'board meeting' to discuss how/how much/how many..... blah blah blah :)

If we were seated on occasion with someone aside from a 'hosted table', DH was happiest ordering and sharing whatever wine for the evening. He never got into the even/steven business some people subscribe to. :)

I'm happy to read others beside me remember that lovely custom. I was hoping so and is why I started this

thread.

You mean "Bored" meeting right?;)

In this day and age there's no sharing. The wine is too hard to come by.

First it's a taxi ride to Publix, then a slipped disc schlepping it aboard in a cooler on wheels (the ole redneck days) times have changed

Edited by Wakepatrol

I recall one other small problem with the custom of wine sharing.

Way, way back in the dark ages when we first started cruising, my DW, trying to be sociable, accepted a pour of some Johannesburg Reisling offered by a table mate, even though she's into dry whites and not sweet whites. She couldn't finish it so she ducked the issue by offering the rest of the glass to me (I'll drink any wine...well almost any wine...whenever offered.) She learned that no one would be offended if the offer for a glass of wine was declined with thanks.

First it's a taxi ride to Publix, then a slipped disc schlepping it aboard in a cooler on wheels (the ole redneck days) times have changed

LOL. Ever tried lifting a 6 litre box of fine wine? (I wonder what the corkage charge would be for that?)

Whoa..... she sounds like a real prize.

Is the couple still married? :D If so, husband deserves a medal. :eek:

Personally, I think he has "checked out". She is one that posts every thought and action on Facebook while he is away from home more and more.

I don't think she would be my friend after all that.

Our husband's are childhood friends. She is no friend of mine. ;)

I remember doing this in the early to mid 80's on Home Lines and a few others. Also remember sailing the former STATENDAM when she was Paquet's RHAPSODY with a complimentary carafe of red and white table wines provided daily with both lunch and dinner.

LOL. Ever tried lifting a 6 litre box of fine wine? (I wonder what the corkage charge would be for that?)

LOL...... Made me laugh. :)

[quote

What I remember is more that strangers became friends over bottles of wine at dinner...... certainly friends enjoyed many a lovely evening with each other with wine, as well. :)

[/b]

I understand what you are saying; over the years we've cruise our "Bucket List" [15 years AND longer cruises] we've made some WONDERFUL friends who understand how/why you wait until you are retired to DO the "Grand" cruises; That said -we seldom shared either wine OR responsibility for same - BUT we've made some VERY solid friendships. One of my DEAREST friends [ ours/couple] lives in Australia as seldom does a month go by that we DON'T Email each other!

THAT is ultimately -for us- WHAT cruising "is"

The other important thing is visiting FOREIGN countries AND learning ABOUT them [MUCH more concentrated than what we read in the News/See on TV/THINK we 'know' about. YES- _MAYBE over a glass of wine - WE'VE visited the WORLD.

Anne in Colorado ;)

I don't usually mind, but I generally wipe the top with the edge of the table cloth before I take a swig. :D

I usually drink ice tea at dinner, and DH no longer seems to enjoy wine, so there's no problem there. On our last cruise though, we had several bottles of champagne as gifts, so every once in a while we would bring one to share at the table.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

You made me laugh out loud. You really did. I guess that sentence didn't come across exactly as I intended. :D

I have the impression you refer only to when you are seated with friends/travel companions. While I include that situation in my question, I mostly wondered about sharing wine with people you first met at the table to which you have been randomly assigned by Dining Room Manager.... ("you" being generic.)

What I remember is more that strangers became friends over bottles of wine at dinner...... certainly friends enjoyed many a lovely evening with each other with wine, as well. :)

Interesting discussion.

I assume people do not do this because of the cost. Nowadays there are a vast difference in cruises and those cruising. Plus, so many people are doing Anytime dining that they are not seated with the same people each night.

In our case just about every other cruise line (besides HAL) we travel on has the wine included, so there is never this issue. Azamara has wine included as does Silversea. Our last cruise was on Celebrity Xpedition in Galapagos and wine was included. Even Celebrity is gong more inclusive with their "Modern Luxury", and almost everyone now has an unlimited wine package. It is now an ongoing promo when one books onboard too.

So, this would not be an issue on these other cruise lines besides HAL.

Edited by Jade13

As Sail7Seas as stated, the cruising experience has changed over the years. And, from my perspective, some of the changes have been positive, but negativity has creeped in as well.

When I began cruising, the "70's", wine sharing was perfectly acceptable. To not have done so, I think, would have been "rude" social behavior.

In later years, it became increasingly obvious, that this practice of on the first night buying wine and sharing with table mates did NOT lead to a reciprocal offer. After a few, not many, but a few obversations of this situation, I stopped offering.

I must confess, the first time, and for a few times thereafter, when I ordered a bottle of wine and indicated that it be served only to me: it was an ackward feeling.

Now, doing so, is not an issue. With the inflated cost of the wine served aboard ship, even with the various wine packages, I will enjoy what wines I wish to drink. And, if others at the table are offended by my actions----which I do not think they are----, so be it.

I do wish, however, that as a solo cruiser at a large table: Please, Mr./Ms. Wine Steward, do not ask: "Just one glass?"

Can you imagine this today.......

When we first cruised, we were at tables for six and eight and with people with whom we traveled sometimes and other times with assigned tablemates.

We always shared wine. Someone would purchase wine for the table and all who wished would partake. Next night, someone else took a turn and it continued that way through the cruise.

In these days of carrying on wine, wine packages and whatever, can you imagine strangers seated together buying and sharing wine? It was such a nice custom and made for very pleasant evenings. It was very rare when someone didn't do their part. Of course, those who didn't want or care for wine were fine with not participating.

We've always brought wine to our tables and gladly shared. Same with any wine over and above what we brought. Reciprocation was not expected :) We enjoyed the company and the sharing. IMO that is the joy of wine.

Since my husband doesn't drink wine and I only have one glass at dinner every night, I can't possibly see buying a couple of bottles to share around the table with strangers.

One bottle does me four nights. Conversely I would not want to share in a bottle that was being passed around.

It would be different if we were sailing with a group of friends.

Here's the thing... If the people with whom you share the wine are still strangers (aka "those who do not reciprocate") after the first night, they're probably also the kind of people who can't figure out the beer to wine credit ratio.*

My advice: Avoid these people.

"It's about 9:1. Adjust for fancy wines or craft beers.

We've always brought wine to our tables and gladly shared. Same with any wine over and above what we brought. Reciprocation was not expected :) We enjoyed the company and the sharing. IMO that is the joy of wine.

Two thumbs up. :)

Here's the thing... If the people with whom you share the wine are still strangers (aka "those who do not reciprocate") after the first night, they're probably also the kind of people who can't figure out the beer to wine credit ratio.*

My advice: Avoid these people.

"It's about 9:1. Adjust for fancy wines or craft beers.

Two and a half thumbs up. :D

Two and a half thumbs up. :D

I was expecting a fist bump. But I just want to make sure that the extra half thumb is organic and locally sourced.

Edited by Host Walt

We have shared our wine with our table mates on many occasions. When I buy a local wine on shore I like to bring a couple of bottles red - white to our table for dinner to share. We have fixed seating so we are with the same group for the entire cruise which we really enjoy & have made many good friends over the years.

Allan & Marlane

I was expecting a fist bump. But I just want to make sure that the extra half thumb is organic and locally sourced.

Sounds like that (very) old gag when a Cruise Director asks, "welcome to all you out-of-towners, but do we have any locals in the audience?"

In any case...here you go:

fist-bump.jpg

Edited by Host Walt

.... low fat, low cholesterol and calorie free. :D

Remember that wine (particularly red) can be put on the list of health foods. :)

Sounds like that (very) old gag when a Cruise Director asks, "welcome to all you out-of-towners, but do we have any locals in the audience?"

In any case...here you go:

fist-bump.jpg

Host Walt......

I'm running out of thumbs but I'll borrow POA's two and award them for the fist bump. :)

Thanks, POA. :cool: ;)