How do you decorate your balcony or windows of cabin?

cruizinrican

Maybe the OP does not know this is not a routine practice on every cruise line..... Unless sailing on Disney where a huge number of people decorate their doors. And on various Disney Forums there is a lot of info about those decorations.... Including the Cruiseline rules on what is allowed or not allowed.

I believe my post answers the OP question IF they bothered to follow thru...

Well......my main concern is keeping my luggage at 50lbs without adding extra weight from pesky cabin decorations.

So with using imagination and space saving techniques.....how about....

Stringing together your underwear and draping it in an artistic manner over your balcony?!

To save a little space in your closet......you could......gather all your shoes and tie them off or buckle them together to add a little flair to your underwear balcony decor!

There now 2 purposes are served and your cabin steward will love you;)

Ok we will bite. How do we "decorate our window or balcony?" Would never consider doing that any more then we would decorate a hotel room. Based on our cruise experience (which is pretty extensive) we would estimate that no more then 1% decorate their cabin doors (you can see this by simply walking around any ship). Have no clue what they do with their windows or balconies (and also have zero interest).

Hank

A huge percentage of cruisers on Disney engage in "Door Decor" it's fun and nearly everyone (notice I said nearly, not all) enjoy personalizing their doors. If you go to the Etsy website and search Disney Cruise you will find hundreds of shops (no joke) who specialize in magnetized Mickey's & Minnie's and every manner of Disney characters to stick on your door and show your Disney Joy!!!

I have to say I have only seen a couple other doors decorated on a ship not a Disney and that was at Christmas. I saw a couple doors wrapped like a package on a Regent Seven Seas Ship.

Door decor is just not done often on lines other than Disney!

note: I do know of a couple families who do this so that a mentally handicapped (adult child) can locate their family cabin door. If very few doors are decorated this would be a very good reason for decorating a door.

Edited by JVilleGal

• 4 weeks later...
Never have, never will. (I also sail on a ship where this practice is considered déclassé.)

Thoughtless decorating can leave one with a very expensive post-vacation bill. Cabin walls or doors can be damaged from dyes that bleed into the surface or from strong adhesive strips that pull off the finish when removed. If this happens the cost will be billed to the occupant.

On one ship decorative Christmas stickers permanently stained the cabin wall panels and they had to be replaced. One cabin was billed $7K and two others $5K each.

Good. Serves them right.

DON

To tell the truth, and this is my speculation only, I believe decorating the doors started on Disney cruises. It made it easier for little kids to participate in preparing for cruises (picking pictures to make magnets out of) and then being able to identify their doors when returning to their rooms each day once onboard.

Yes, they also do this at WDW resorts.

I think some people think it's cute, and decided to expand the activity to other cruiselines.

Now, on our Disney cruises I tend to have lots of pictures on our door. When we travel HAL, I usually just do one picture related to the specific cruise we're on.

Yet one more reason among many others not to ever sail Disney.

DON

The last cruise I was on (Royal) the cruise line actually did decorate our door. When we got to our cabin the first day there was a "Just Married" sign on it. The inside was also decorated with streamers and such. The funny thing is, we've been married for 40 years. We let our room steward know he had decorated the wrong room, but we got to keep the decorations . We left them up all week, including the door sign. The actual newlyweds (across the hall) took their sign down almost immediately.

To the OP: It has often been stated on these boards "It's your vacation, do what you want." So I totally support your desire to decorate your door. (But I guess not the balcony. Apparently the ship will sink if you do that.)

• Like 1