How do you decorate your balcony or windows of cabin?

cruizinrican

Some of us just enjoy doing it. It's like personalizing our "space" or landscaping our yard.

Thanks..... I'm trying but still don't get it. :D

I never saw anything like that in a nice hotel or any hotel for that matter. Why on a cruise ship?

Thanks..... I'm trying but still don't get it. :D

I never saw anything like that in a nice hotel or any hotel for that matter. Why on a cruise ship?

To tell the truth, and this is my speculation only, I believe decorating the doors started on Disney cruises. It made it easier for little kids to participate in preparing for cruises (picking pictures to make magnets out of) and then being able to identify their doors when returning to their rooms each day once onboard.

Yes, they also do this at WDW resorts.

I think some people think it's cute, and decided to expand the activity to other cruiselines.

Now, on our Disney cruises I tend to have lots of pictures on our door. When we travel HAL, I usually just do one picture related to the specific cruise we're on.

Not sure why some people feel the need to comment w negativity. All I did was ask a simple question, HOW DO YOU DECORATE YOUR WINDOW OR BALCONY? But instead of people that do enjoy doing this answering my question......I got a whole bunch of people tell me WHY THEY DON'T DECORATE OR ASKING ME WHY WOULD I? You don't have to understand or even like it. I do it for myself and my kids. I do so because I like to look back at ship and know immediately which cabin is mine. It helps in full length pics too. Whatever I've ever put up, we always taken down ourselves. We don't destroy our cabin walls or doors. I do it to make us feel happy.

I don't ask others why they hog pool chairs, use same plate at buffet or allow their kids in Jacuzzis clearly marked for adults only. To each his own. So why should it matter what I do inside my own cabin or balcony to make my cruise more enjoyable to me? As long as I'm not being disruptive or malicious. SMH just wish people would read the post before offering their two cents around here, the boards would surely be a friendlier place.

Edited by cruizinrican

We are more than satisfied with the window coverings that the cruise line provides. Ditto for the balcony furniture.

Mark us down as belonging to the minimalist school of interior design and to the carry on only school of travel.

What others choose to do is of no concern to us. We are solidly in the MYOB camp.

Edited by iancal

Yes, like when you see those old toilets or truck tires, filled with dirt and planted with flowers, ceramic donkeys or other animal figures placed in strategic spots around the yard, empty whiskey bottles attractively hung on tree branches, or used pickup seats on the front porch for relaxing. Just to class up the place and make it feel homey.

*LOL*

I have actually seen most of the things you mentioned in peoples yards at one time or another :)

My house wouldn't get decorated for Christmas if it was left up to me , so I sure as hell will never decorate a cabin.

Something that cracks me up is some of the junk people decorate graves in cemeteries with lately Those solar lights you put on walkways (what, is the dearly beloved afraid of the dark ?) And those Whirlygig things you stick in the ground and they spin in the breeze.

I have this fear if I ever put something like that on my Dad's grave, his hand would come up through the ground like Sissy Spacek's at the end of Carrie and pull me in and slap the hell out of me *LOL*

SMH just wish people would read the post before offering their two cents around here, the boards would surely be a friendlier place.
Oooh...let's just be "friendly". Rainbows, unicorns and sunshine.

Sorry, but we all live in Reality-ville, no matter how much one may want to deny it.

You ask opinion, you get opinion. I think exterior decorations are tacky beyond belief. It's like the t-shirt in the MDR on formal night - someone thinks it's cute, I think it's a sign of bad taste and impinging on my enjoyment of the evening.

If you want everyone to agree with you....don't leave home.

Let me pose the ultimate question that hasn't been asked....WHY do you want to decorate your door and balcony? That may be quite revealing and may ultimately answer your own question. Or at least focus your thinking.

Edited by FlyerTalker

I was surprised when I first started reading here on CC that people decorate their balcony or door. I would have never thought of doing that. And I probably never will do it.

We decided to use the solar lights as it was a Christmas cruise, after reading a post somewhere on here about Christmas decorations. We also blu-tacked some tinsel around the large picture in our cabin. Princess had already placed small Christmas decorations in the "mailboxes" next to the door and those gave a touch of festivity to the corridors.

I don't think I'd bother with the solar lights again, we didn't spend enough time on our balcony when it was dark - Christmas is in summer in the South Pacific so it didn't get dark until quite late, after we'd left the cabin for pre-dinner drinks.

Oh no! I hope you will never be my cabin neighbor. I hate it when the light is on out there all night. Spoils the view of the stars. Ships produce enough light pollution out of necessity, no need to add to it right next door.

They weren't very bright, just tiny LED glows of different colours, and I doubt our neighbours were affected. Sun Princess has enclosed balconies and you could only see the next balcony if you leaned right out. There was more light pollution from the upper decks than from the solar lights.

We took a small set of solar powered lights. We wound them around the balcony and secured them with twist ties, making sure the solar power pack was facing out to sea. Our cabin steward was a bit concerned whne he first saw them but checked with someone and solar powered lights (with a sealed battery pack) were OK. This may vary from ship to ship though.

Sounds tacky to me.

All I did was ask a simple question, HOW DO YOU DECORATE YOUR WINDOW OR BALCONY?

Please don't decorate your balcony, don't even leave a towel out there when you are not on it. Our cabin attendant removed the cushions on the seats each night before the ship started moving. Everything flying off may become a safety and fire hazard.

I've searched all the places I thought I might find on this topic but nothing comes up. So I would love people to post pictures specifically but any ideas would be appreciated.

If you are sailing Disney you can decorate all you want, door only. Go over to the Disney board and you can find out about door decor. Never your balcony!

Not sure why some people feel the need to comment w negativity. All I did was ask a simple question, HOW DO YOU DECORATE YOUR WINDOW OR BALCONY? ..

Because some of us deplore the practice.

At best it's folk art. At worst a grade school hallway project.

It would certainly bother me to have paid premium fares for what is advertised as an elegant ship but instead find it's decorated with folk art or a grade school hallway project.

You ask opinion, you get opinion.

Hmmm???

How do you decorate your balcony or windows of cabin?

I've searched all the places I thought I might find on this topic but nothing comes up. So I would love people to post pictures specifically but any ideas would be appreciated.

Funny, but I don't see where the OP asked anyone's opinions on why or should she decorate - Just how.

Maybe it's not the OP who should focus.;)

Maybe the OP does not know this is not a routine practice on every cruise line..... Unless sailing on Disney where a huge number of people decorate their doors. And on various Disney Forums there is a lot of info about those decorations.... Including the Cruiseline rules on what is allowed or not allowed.

I asked the "WHY" in Post 18 and OP answered in Post 30.

OP, most of us like a photo of 'our' ship from the dock and we all like to see her looking her best. Clutter and added individual decorating can make the ship seem less maintained and cared for if added to balconies here and there. As long as you always keep in mind you are sharing that ship with thousands of others, you likely will consider they want their photos of the ship and their view of it to be enjoyable to them, too. :)

If the ship permits individual decorating, the rest of us have no choice but to be tolerant of it.

Not sure why some people feel the need to comment w negativity. All I did was ask a simple question, HOW DO YOU DECORATE YOUR WINDOW OR BALCONY?

TBH, Balconies are pretty much NOT an option to decorate. so for those who did not know that they they NEED TO as in many cases it violated CG regs to do so, let alone the Captain's(who is GOD on board) policies.

the negativity is because most people find it silly, stupid, distasteful and just plain not a priority or desire to do so.

Sure, I have seen them on doors. and for those that say 'well it's how I find my way at night without looking stupid'. Umm, you use another feature. such as the art work lining all the hallways.( Our last cabin had a beautiful Venetian Mask in a shadow box right next to it)

the two cabins directly across from us had their doors all decked out in Oriental trading Company -esq /dollar store decorations. It looked like the door to my nephews first grade classroom

As a solo woman traveler, I certainly do not want to call attention to my door or cabin in any way.

One might wonder why one would want to advertise the presence of children, given the way the world is today (and recent issues with pedophiles on a couple of ships....)

As a solo woman traveler, I certainly do not want to call attention to my door or cabin in any way.

One might wonder why one would want to advertise the presence of children, given the way the world is today (and recent issues with pedophiles on a couple of ships....)

Unless you have very unusual children, the many thousands of catastrophically stupid child molesters who (apparently) patrol these ships will be able to find them without trying too hard.

Hmmm???

Funny, but I don't see where the OP asked anyone's opinions on why or should she decorate - Just how.

Maybe it's not the OP who should focus.;)

Lmao I love it! I was waiting for someone on this thread to actually read my post. Thanks DirtyDwag! These mean people can have this thread all to themselves. Have fun! :D

Edited by cruizinrican