Odd but great items to take with you

Ksimpson76

The "oddest" thing my wife brings is a jar of peanut butter. She told me "that way if the ship loses power and runs out of food we'll have something to eat." I asked "do you think one jar of peanut butter will feed 6,000 people?"

The "oddest" thing I bring on a cruise is my wife. :)

Lol...this one cracks me up! 😄

I cannot stress how important it is to take over the counter medicines with you. But I've never heard of anything being free at the medical center.

On some ships free ASA tablets are available just inside the Medical Center door.

john

Thank you Lawgirl, I clicked on this thread to see what people bring to listen to music if not taking my laptop, only my iPhone. I'm going to order one today! Perfect!

While I’ve never been on a cruise before, I keep in our luggage (and car) dollar store disposable hooded rain ponchos. In the car we also have umbrellas; however, when traveling I don’t take an umbrella, just the ponchos. If I know it will be raining, I pack more than one for person so I can throw them away after a day of use.

I also always carry a sharpie, sometimes you need lettering that stands out.

Why do people need to take the compass thats referred to on page 1?

The "Cruise Compass" is a daily publication placed in your cabin each evening. It contains loads of information about ports, timing for dining venues, show times, and most importantly, activities around the ship. I love to highlight the activities I plan to attend for the following day!

so many great ideas on here! I had my Amazon account open and adding items as I saw them! small clock, chair clips and the Belkin 3 outlet usb charger combo! I appreciate the tips..........and yes, I too, have purchase every cough drop and cough syrup from the ship gift shop before. I never travel without nyquil/dayquil gel caps, cough drops, etc anymore. However, I did find that the "little nip" bottles of brandy and Amaretto from the duty free shops works wonders if you can't find any cough syrup!

so many great ideas on here! I had my Amazon account open and adding items as I saw them! small clock, chair clips and the Belkin 3 outlet usb charger combo! I appreciate the tips..........and yes, I too, have purchase every cough drop and cough syrup from the ship gift shop before. I never travel without nyquil/dayquil gel caps, cough drops, etc anymore. However, I did find that the "little nip" bottles of brandy and Amaretto from the duty free shops works wonders if you can't find any cough syrup!

I also self medicate poolside with copious amounts of bourbon and water for whatever ails me![emoji3]

The "Cruise Compass" is a daily publication placed in your cabin each evening. It contains loads of information about ports, timing for dining venues, show times, and most importantly, activities around the ship. I love to highlight the activities I plan to attend for the following day!

Thank you :)

Thank you :)

It might be called different things on different lines, but on boarding there will be a newsletter in your cabin and each night a new one will be left for the following day, it will include things like the days activities that night's dress code on MDR, chef's selections from the menu, Port times, shop specials, drink of the day and contact details for the lines ship agent for that days Port.

I take Pringles , husband loves them ! But I use the empty cans to transport my shells I've collected[emoji3]

I trust that you are aware that "collected shells," which have not been declared and inspected, will not be welcomed by agricultural or related authorities at certain disembarkations including California and Hawaii.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I'm not repeating but here goes.

1. Magnets have been mentioned. Get hooks that are magnetic so you can hang extra jackets, sweaters, etc. in a convenient spot.

2. Love the idea of using a battery operated tea light as a night light.

3. Travel clock that is a wind up. Friends had a battery operated one and the batteries gave up the first night and they couldn't find a store in port with the right size.

4. Flashlight that winds up works really great too.

5. Lanyard for key card has been mentioned I think.

6. Someone mentioned a roll of packing tape for taping drawers shut if it gets rough. I take some bungee cords of various lengths to hold the cupboard doors shut if necessary. (Have had to use them.)

7. Bring some balloons. Inflate a balloon and put it in an out of the way spot in your cabin and use it as a drying rack for small items. (could be put in the tub)

8. Store your suitcases under the bed but store them open. Keep items you don't need regularly in the suitcases and you can get at them easily.

Funny story on the fold up/down laundry hampers. Ours was round and when we were packing to go home we placed it in our suitcase and wrapped up a bottle of liquor we'd purchased and placed that in the middle of the hamper circle along with the above mentioned bungee cords. Managed to cause quite a stir at the airport when they scanned the checked bag. Security did come and get my husband from the waiting area and made him open the bag and show them what was inside. Must have thought we had a homemade bomb. I suppose they could have just broke the lock and opened it and not bothered to tell us but on the other hand maybe they wanted to confront us! Caused some excitement for us and a great story to tell afterwards.

We always buy new toothbrushes for home and take our old ones on the trip along with a half tube of toothpaste. And a half of a deodorant. When we have to leave our luggage out the last night the next day we just throw these items away (even stick deodorant is considered liquid in your carry on if they are picky). Then we start with new toothbrushes at home and don't have to search the luggage to brush our teeth.

1. Magnets have been mentioned. Get hooks that are magnetic so you can hang extra jackets, sweaters, etc. in a convenient spot.

3. Travel clock that is a wind up. Friends had a battery operated one and the batteries gave up the first night and they couldn't find a store in port with the right size.

6. Someone mentioned a roll of packing tape for taping drawers shut if it gets rough. I take some bungee cords of various lengths to hold the cupboard doors shut if necessary. (Have had to use them.)

7. Bring some balloons. Inflate a balloon and put it in an out of the way spot in your cabin and use it as a drying rack for small items. (could be put in the tub)

8. Store your suitcases under the bed but store them open. Keep items you don't need regularly in the suitcases and you can get at them easily.

Funny story on the fold up/down laundry hampers. Ours was round and when we were packing to go home we placed it in our suitcase and wrapped up a bottle of liquor we'd purchased and placed that in the middle of the hamper circle along with the above mentioned bungee cords. Managed to cause quite a stir at the airport when they scanned the checked bag. Security did come and get my husband from the waiting area and made him open the bag and show them what was inside. Must have thought we had a homemade bomb. I suppose they could have just broke the lock and opened it and not bothered to tell us but on the other hand maybe they wanted to confront us! Caused some excitement for us and a great story to tell afterwards.

Did you just quote the CC article from last week?

Thank you for some great ideas, and also for the fun/entertaining story. 😄