Odd but great items to take with you

Ksimpson76

A few things not mentioned (or I missed reading them)...

- A locking bag we can leave locked to deck chair / beach chair, and when in the cabin it can hold larger items that don't fit in safe.

http://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Travelsafe-12L-Charcoal-Size/dp/B00E8BK6KQ/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1423888709&sr=8-29&keywords=PacSafe

- small water proof bag for any excursion so we can throw phones inside if wet activity / raining. Can use heavy duty ziplock bags too.

- battery operated fan for at night if room is hot or can also create white noise to help sleep. I keep it in my carry-on and has come in handy on the plane when stuck waiting to arrive / depart gate and plane is hot. Here is one that is pretty compact, has 3 speeds, and works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Speed-Personal-Folding-Fan/dp/B0050JBUUK/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1423889375&sr=8-18&keywords=Portable+battery+fan

- small bottle of Febreze / fabric freshener. Great to spray on some clothing items (pj's, swim cover ups, etc) to refresh them.

- collapsible water bottle. Fill it up onboard before heading out on excursions or after clearing airport security.

- small bag with twist ties, rubber bands, small amount of duct tape for any emergency repairs.

I bring a small first aid kit and a selection of OTC medications. Avoids a trip to sick bay for the minor cuts, aches and pains that can crop up on any family trip. [emoji381] [emoji62]

plus they'll charge an arm and a leg for minor treatment.

Before you go packing dryer sheets and laundry detergent check f your ship has a self-serve laundry.

So many things here just make me laugh, if I took everything listed on some of these "must have" threads I'd have no room for clothes.

Pack what you'd take on any normal vacation to the same maybe even less as you will be in the same room every day and have laundry services available to you. if you'd normally take an over the door shoe hanger on vacation take it, if not leave it at home, if you'd normally take duct tape ditto and so on.

The dryer sheets are not used for the laundry purposes. They help with the static cling without using a dryer. and Some people wash their bathing suits in the sink....

I do agree with you tho if you take everything on these lists you'd need a u-haul to transport your luggage :)

I take a few battery operated tea lights for the bathroom. Hate turning on the light when I get up during the night. And there are no plug ins for a regular nightlight.

Now that's a great idea! That bathroom light is a killer in the middle of the night!

The "oddest" thing my wife brings is a jar of peanut butter. She told me "that way if the ship loses power and runs out of food we'll have something to eat." I asked "do you think one jar of peanut butter will feed 6,000 people?"

The "oddest" thing I bring on a cruise is my wife. :)

Edited by papaflamingo

plus they'll charge an arm and a leg for minor treatment.

I agree that if you see the doctor you are billed at the same rates as here in the U.S. for a standard urgent care type visit.

However, in the lobby area of the medical center they have free basic meds - aspirin, Tylenol, sea-sick pills, bandaids, etc.

I always take small first aid supplies, but I found out about the free stuff when I had to go to the medical center for "real" treatment (trapped my hand in a door - RC paid for treatment; they were great - personally I viewed it as an accident, but they still took responsibility; balcony door closed unexpectedly and my hand was in the way).

Before you go packing dryer sheets and laundry detergent check f your ship has a self-serve laundry.

So many things here just make me laugh, if I took everything listed on some of these "must have" threads I'd have no room for clothes.

Pack what you'd take on any normal vacation to the same maybe even less as you will be in the same room every day and have laundry services available to you. if you'd normally take an over the door shoe hanger on vacation take it, if not leave it at home, if you'd normally take duct tape ditto and so on.

It's just a fun list :D. I like posts that aren't so serious... Plus I already got a good idea or two! Not sure, in port, where I would find a little battery tea light for the bathroom! Great idea! I have hit my foot countless times trying to step up into the bathroom in the dark!

I'm NOT saying to take the dirty clothes container but have to ask the question, why? Each evening when we are preparing for dinner and DW is showering, I fold the dirties that day and just put them in our luggage, this way I have less to pack the last day.

I am open for suggestions, please let me know why the basket will be a time saver for me.

Tim

Blister bandaids...I met this woman in tears with bleeding heels and feet in St Maarten. She couldn't stop thanking me. She and her family couldn't speak a word of English and couldn't seem to get across to a shop owner what they wanted. It was obvious to me.

Heel huggers for high heels

Zip ties

2 garbage bags for dirty laundry

Ziplock bags, can never have too many

Double sided tape

I'm a light packer and wouldn't lug along 99% of the items posted except for the towel clips. On those windy sea days they were a big help. I lucked into having some 2" binder clips in my carryon bag leftover from work. Not nearly as fun as the actual towel clips but they worked just as well and cost maybe $3 for 12.

It's just a fun list :D. I like posts that aren't so serious... Plus I already got a good idea or two! Not sure, in port, where I would find a little battery tea light for the bathroom! Great idea! I have hit my foot countless times trying to step up into the bathroom in the dark!

I agree. Beats dress code posts any day.

the "oddest" thing my wife brings is a jar of peanut butter. She told me "that way if the ship loses power and runs out of food we'll have something to eat." i asked "do you think one jar of peanut butter will feed 6,000 people?"

the "oddest" thing i bring on a cruise is my wife. :)

classic!

The "oddest" thing my wife brings is a jar of peanut butter. She told me "that way if the ship loses power and runs out of food we'll have something to eat." I asked "do you think one jar of peanut butter will feed 6,000 people?"

The "oddest" thing I bring on a cruise is my wife. :)

Hahaha. Wow.

This is a Royal Caribbean board. NONE of their ships have self-serve laundry.