Odd but great items to take with you

Ksimpson76

We bring an old pair of prescription eyeglasses. If our current eyeglasses were lost or broken we wouldn't have to finish the cruise squinting and in a haze. :)

Isn't that the truth!! We left a pair in Labadee- my DH bent over to watch us pull away, and plop- his glasses fell out of his shirt pocket and fell directly into the water down below... I had to read the menu to him for the last few days of our cruise... And they were his favourite glasses :-/

Can you buy deodorant and pack of disposable razors on the Allure of the seas, as we can't bring them on the plane,

You can bring disposable razors and stick deodorant on planes, they are usually under 3 oz. The spray deodorant is probably too large for the quart bag you have to put them in. You can't bring the old fashion blades for razors but disposable are fine.

Dryer sheets do nothing for bed bugs, it is just a myth.

I love the "Locking Bag" for keeping things a little more secure when at the pool or beach.

My I-Phone provides the following 7-items :: 1) Alarm Clock 2) reading material uploaded at home 3) flash light 4) night light 3) backgound noise - waves or rain. 5) boarding passes for airlines 6) back up passport photo 7) music for room or pool side - with or without earphones.

I also have a back up external battery just in case....

Isn't that the truth!! We left a pair in Labadee- my DH bent over to watch us pull away, and plop- his glasses fell out of his shirt pocket and fell directly into the water down below... I had to read the menu to him for the last few days of our cruise... And they were his favourite glasses :-/

That's crazy but Sept 2013 we were snorkeling I believe in Labadee and actually found a pair of glasses, We felt so bad for the person that lost them!

We did turn them into the customer service desk but will never know if the owner would have asked if they had been found. More than likely he figured they were gone for good!

I think it would be a nice thing for the cruise line to announce that a pair of glasses or camera etc had been found and if you are missing come to the desk to identify!

Games are a good idea! We have brought, and played, Left, Right, Center; Yahtzee; farkle; and of course, cards.

Back in the day, the R class ships (our favorite) had a card room in the back of the Colony Club. We used to go in there and get cards or find others to play games, especially if it was a cold or rainy day. The card room is now chefs table (which we also enjoy)....so small games and cards are a great idea!

Also I thought of...

highlighter for cruise compass

various sizes of safety pins

nail polish to match my manicure. Repairs on the ship are crazy expensive, so better to repair one nail and have my color along instead of getting a whole new manicure!

DH says his only must have is a large insulated mug. He puts his iced tea and frozen margaritas from the bar in it....stays cold much longer.🍹

Zip-lock bags. All sizes. There are too many uses to list. If we have private excursions, we put the cash in zip locks (sandwich size) with the name of the excursion on the outside, in the cabin safe. That day we just grab the labeled zip lock and we are set to go.

Nail clips, super-glue disposable tube (tiny ones come 3 to a pack), and emery board.

Big Clothes Pins- Pool deck for towels and to clip a swimsuit on the back of the chair on the balcony to dry.

OTC -Even if it weren't expense, there is nothing worse than waking in the middle of the night in need of Pepto Bismol, Advil or a Nyquil gel cap, Benadryl, antibiotic cream, Bonine, band-aids, etc. that you would have at home. Spent a miserable night waiting on us to dock to get some cold meds. Now they are all in a sandwich size zip lock in my luggage and then they go in the desk drawer in the cabin.

Couple of magnetic clips. They hold a note and our lanyard on the wall of the cabin.

Travel-size of Downey Wrinkle release and Fabreeze.

Antiseptic wipes individually packaged. I wipe the drawers out and the phone and tables when we first arrive. I take a few with me when we go ashore. Use them on the plane, etc.

Small sewing kit.

Extra pair of reading glasses.

Elastic hair bands. I use one to hold the button down on the hair dryer :D

I toss my dirty clothes in zip locks and into the suitcase (under the bed) as they get dirty. By the last day of the cruise, most of my packing is done.

Flat tree shaped air freshener for the bathroom. A small spray of a product called poop-pourri (misspelled) for the potty (it works). Your cabin mates will thank you.

Battery operated tea lights (because they are tiny). We used them on the balcony. It's quite bright at night on the balcony if you turn the light on. These were perfect.

I try to pack light and most of this will fit in a shoe or the corners of my luggage in zip locks. They take up no space and we even took these things when we took a cruise to the Med that included a few days pre and post cruise without it using up any space or weight in our luggage.

Small luggage scale (if flying). This was the bulkiest item we carried but it came in handy when trying to distribute everything before weighing the piece of luggage and carry-on at the airports. Took some shuffling to get it right.

Lot of small bills for tips. We keep some inn a zip-lock in the desk drawer for room service.

I have noticed that most of these lists and some of the negative comments refer to "short" cruises. We often cruise for several weeks, sometimes a couple of months. Thus, some of the things that we take would not be needed by others. For instance, a battery operated hair clipper:eek: Don't ever forget a pair of tweezers. Small camping scissors (looks like who knows what on the x-ray when folded up). And, yes, as someone else mentioned, a large bar of soap from home for the shower along with small bottles of head and shoulders (if you need it you will understand).

I was thinking about the battery operated night light that so many want for the bathroom. Wouldn't one that turns on with a motion sensor make more sense? I use one of those in my closet.

4. lots of $1.00 bills for tips ie room service and on land

My next cruise is over 200 days away, sigh! (unless....)

Myra

$1US bills are available at the ship's service desk at no charge as long as you have larger $US bill to exchange for them. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

For those that said suction cups, are you using them in a bathtub, mirror, window - or do they actually stick to the metal walls? We don't have bathtubs in our rooms, so trying to determine if we would have any place to put them up (a retractable clothesline, for instance). We'll be in Central Park view rooms on oasis.

I have noticed that most of these lists and some of the negative comments refer to "short" cruises. We often cruise for several weeks, sometimes a couple of months. Thus, some of the things that we take would not be needed by others. For instance, a battery operated hair clipper:eek: Don't ever forget a pair of tweezers. Small camping scissors (looks like who knows what on the x-ray when folded up). And, yes, as someone else mentioned, a large bar of soap from home for the shower along with small bottles of head and shoulders (if you need it you will understand).

I was thinking about the battery operated night light that so many want for the bathroom. Wouldn't one that turns on with a motion sensor make more sense? I use one of those in my closet.

Agree about the motion sensor, however, if you use battery operated in the bathroom you can at least see where you are heading! Have used a motion sensor on the night stand or desk - I guess it depends how tidy you are in your cabin - hate to trip up over shoes in the middle of the night! I like just a little light shining out from under the bathroom door to kind of guide the way!

Zip-lock bags. All sizes. There are too many uses to list. If we have private excursions, we put the cash in zip locks (sandwich size) with the name of the excursion on the outside, in the cabin safe. That day we just grab the labeled zip lock and we are set to go.

Nail clips, super-glue disposable tube (tiny ones come 3 to a pack), and emery board.

Big Clothes Pins- Pool deck for towels and to clip a swimsuit on the back of the chair on the balcony to dry.

OTC -Even if it weren't expense, there is nothing worse than waking in the middle of the night in need of Pepto Bismol, Advil or a Nyquil gel cap, Benadryl, antibiotic cream, Bonine, band-aids, etc. that you would have at home. Spent a miserable night waiting on us to dock to get some cold meds. Now they are all in a sandwich size zip lock in my luggage and then they go in the desk drawer in the cabin.

Couple of magnetic clips. They hold a note and our lanyard on the wall of the cabin.

Travel-size of Downey Wrinkle release and Fabreeze.

Antiseptic wipes individually packaged. I wipe the drawers out and the phone and tables when we first arrive. I take a few with me when we go ashore. Use them on the plane, etc.

Small sewing kit.

Extra pair of reading glasses.

Elastic hair bands. I use one to hold the button down on the hair dryer :D

I toss my dirty clothes in zip locks and into the suitcase (under the bed) as they get dirty. By the last day of the cruise, most of my packing is done.

Flat tree shaped air freshener for the bathroom. A small spray of a product called poop-pourri (misspelled) for the potty (it works). Your cabin mates will thank you.

Battery operated tea lights (because they are tiny). We used them on the balcony. It's quite bright at night on the balcony if you turn the light on. These were perfect.

I try to pack light and most of this will fit in a shoe or the corners of my luggage in zip locks. They take up no space and we even took these things when we took a cruise to the Med that included a few days pre and post cruise without it using up any space or weight in our luggage.

Small luggage scale (if flying). This was the bulkiest item we carried but it came in handy when trying to distribute everything before weighing the piece of luggage and carry-on at the airports. Took some shuffling to get it right.

Lot of small bills for tips. We keep some inn a zip-lock in the desk drawer for room service.

The poo-pourri is a MUST sold at most bed, bath and beyond. My DH not allowed to travel with me without it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to many things mentioned we bring induvidual sized flavored coffee creamers (non dairy) and truvia sweetner. Truvia is also great for some drinks. The wife will have the bar tender use it instead of sugar or sweetner syrup used in some drinks.

Edited by topnole

For all these battery operated suggestions make sure to bring extra batteries! These are super expensive on the ship.

Hand sanitizer--Lots of it

Travel size Lysol wipes-I wipe down hair dryer, cabin phone, bathroom door knobs. Anything really that the attendant doesn't clean/wipe down on a daily basis because you'd have to that everyday....

Small backpack/shoulder pack for men--Fanny packs a definite no no! :eek:

Binoculars--Cool to spot passing ships and look along the shorelines as you come into or leave ports

For those who have not sailed before or been overseas BE SURE to call your credit card company that you will be using. Most of the time if you haven't done this and use you card in another country it will cause a fraud alert to be initiated and your account frozen.

MOST IMPORTANT--bring a great attitude! You're on a freaking cruise! ENJOY!

Great additions.

We bring along this kind of hand sanitizer, but cause the goop on the ship doesn't really do the complete job. Nothing beats washing your hands often, but this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Bond-Ultimate-Sanitizer-Moisturizer/dp/B002W9H6HC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1424115442&sr=8-4&keywords=hand+sanitizer+gold+bond

You're right, batteries are expensive. You can often get them cheaper in a port as well. If you carry many of them put them in your suitcase so you don't have to go through security with a bunch of little cylinders.

Tom

For all these battery operated suggestions make sure to bring extra batteries! These are super expensive on the ship.

Hand sanitizer--Lots of it

Travel size Lysol wipes-I wipe down hair dryer, cabin phone, bathroom door knobs. Anything really that the attendant doesn't clean/wipe down on a daily basis because you'd have to that everyday....

Small backpack/shoulder pack for men--Fanny packs a definite no no! :eek:

Binoculars--Cool to spot passing ships and look along the shorelines as you come into or leave ports

For those who have not sailed before or been overseas BE SURE to call your credit card company that you will be using. Most of the time if you haven't done this and use you card in another country it will cause a fraud alert to be initiated and your account frozen.

MOST IMPORTANT--bring a great attitude! You're on a freaking cruise! ENJOY!

Great additions.

We bring along this kind of hand sanitizer, but cause the goop on the ship doesn't really do the complete job. Nothing beats washing your hands often, but this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Bond-Ultimate-Sanitizer-Moisturizer/dp/B002W9H6HC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1424115442&sr=8-4&keywords=hand+sanitizer+gold+bond

You're right, batteries are expensive. You can often get them cheaper in a port as well. If you carry many of them put them in your suitcase so you don't have to go through security with a bunch of little cylinders.

Tom

Interesting. Have you actually been challenged by TSA over batteries? We carry about a dozen AA and AAA and have never been challenged over them. On the other hand, on the last cruise I totally zoned out and put a small pocket knife in the tray for the ex-ray machine. They didn't even need the x-ray it was in plain sight. Now I need another knife:eek:

Once they took my bottle of hot sauce (how are you supposed to eat cruise ship eggs without it?) and once lost a cork screw.

I've never carried batteries so don't know for sure. It's hard to tell these days. Last time I got stopped and my pack searched because I had a empty water cup (that we got for free on the ship). It had never been used. It was right on top. They still pulled everything else out of my pack. My wallet almost fell on the ground and I reached to stop it from falling and the security guard yelled at me to "step away". I don't mind them searching, but it would be nice if they could be somewhat respectful of people's personal items.

I try never to carry anything that might even potentially look suspicious and I just thought if you had something like "D" cell batteries they could be similarly misunderstood.

I'd guess smaller batteries like AAA or AA would never be an issue, but who knows these days.

Tom

Interesting. Have you actually been challenged by TSA over batteries? We carry about a dozen AA and AAA and have never been challenged over them. On the other hand, on the last cruise I totally zoned out and put a small pocket knife in the tray for the ex-ray machine. They didn't even

I've never carried batteries so don't know for sure. It's hard to tell these days. Last time I got stopped and my pack searched because I had a empty water cup (that we got for free on the ship). It had never been used. It was right on top. They still pulled everything else out of my pack. My wallet almost fell on the ground and I reached to stop it from falling and the security guard yelled at me to "step away". I don't mind them searching, but it would be nice if they could be somewhat respectful of people's personal items.

I try never to carry anything that might even potentially look suspicious and I just thought if you had something like "D" cell batteries they could be similarly misunderstood.

I'd guess smaller batteries like AAA or AA would never be an issue, but who knows these days.

Tom

Interesting. Have you actually been challenged by TSA over batteries? We carry about a dozen AA and AAA and have never been challenged over them. On the other hand, on the last cruise I totally zoned out and put a small pocket knife in the tray for the ex-ray machine. They didn't even

The crystal blocks that Royal gives out to upper level C&A members can be really fun. They appear as a solid black object on x-ray. Have had some TSA spot them an say "oh you've been on a cruise". Others want to search the bag. I once offered to put it on top and was told no don't bother. Then they searched the bag when they saw it. Now I always just put it on top and save the hassles.

Guess I should have included hot sauce on my packing list of weird but necessary things (yes I know the ships have Tobasco, just doesn't cut it).

For those that said suction cups, are you using them in a bathtub, mirror, window - or do they actually stick to the metal walls? We don't have bathtubs in our rooms, so trying to determine if we would have any place to put them up (a retractable clothesline, for instance). We'll be in Central Park view rooms on oasis.

The suction cups worked on the cabin wall (hats, cover-ups) and in the bathroom (wet bathing suits).

Agree about the motion sensor, however, if you use battery operated in the bathroom you can at least see where you are heading! Have used a motion sensor on the night stand or desk - I guess it depends how tidy you are in your cabin - hate to trip up over shoes in the middle of the night! I like just a little light shining out from under the bathroom door to kind of guide the way!

We bring these compact LED flashlights on our cruises to use as a night and emergency light. These are available about for $1US in our dollar stores, batteries included. Each use two 3V lithium batteries that last a very long time. In fact I replaced the smaller original used up CR1220 batteries and their insulating holder with the much larger and more readily available CR2032 batteries by simply wrapping a single layer of electrical tape around the edge of these larger batteries to act as an isolator/holder so they now last much longer, at least 3X. If you do this make note of the polarity of the original batteries which was negative up toward the switch end for these lights.

Granted these aren't motion activated but are small enough to leave on a night table top or drawer.

attachment.php?attachmentid=340531&d=1424120180

DSCF0019.jpg.4c5bca5641890ab49c58a69d14ba0cff.jpg

Edited by robtulipe