RCCL- Unlimited Drink Packages

I am thinking of purchasing the premium drink package @ $49 per day on the Freedom of The Seas. We are a family of 4 cruising in two separate cabins under two separate reservation numbers. Dad and 16 year old son in one cabin and wife and 13 year old daughter in the other cabin. My questions are:

When I purchase the drink package, my wife is not obligated to purchase the same package correct?

If I purchase the drink package, is there a limit on how many drinks I can order at the bar?

Will the bartender note from my account when I ordered a drink and not let me purchase another one for 15 minutes?

If there is no time limit between drink orders, couldn't I buy my wife a drink, then go back up and get myself one? (Discretely of course).

:)

I am thinking of purchasing the premium drink package @ $49 per day on the Freedom of The Seas. We are a family of 4 cruising in two separate cabins under two separate reservation numbers. Dad and 16 year old son in one cabin and wife and 13 year old daughter in the other cabin. My questions are:

When I purchase the drink package, my wife is not obligated to purchase the same package correct?

If I purchase the drink package, is there a limit on how many drinks I can order at the bar?

Will the bartender note from my account when I ordered a drink and not let me purchase another one for 15 minutes?

If there is no time limit between drink orders, couldn't I buy my wife a drink, then go back up and get myself one? (Discretely of course).

She is not obligated to get one.

It's supposed to be 15 minutes. In reality this isn't enforced often.

Yes, you could and I'm sure this is done regularly. I'd suggest tipping the bartender $5 or so with the first drink so he remembers you and will take care of you as you return to that bar.

Correct. There is no requirement that everyone in a cabin purchase any kind of package.

No limit. They will cut you off if you are visibly and destructively intoxicated.

There is no such time limit.

It's stealing. If your wife wants a drink, you/she should buy it. The bartenders and servers are well-trained to spot cheaters. You are endangering their jobs when you try this.

The packages are not meant to be "shared".....that said, you can probably "get away with it" once in a while.

You and the wife can be in the same room, once you board the ship...put the kid's in the room together...get the right key's from customer service.....it's done all the time.

I can't understand why some people ask this. You can do whatever you want. You are an adult with a free will. We make choices on how we want to live everyday. You are also raising at least two teenagers that will absorb more of what you do than what you say but it's your choice if you want to follow rules or cheat them.

"Integrity is the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness. It is generally a personal choice to uphold oneself to consistently moral and ethical standards.[1]

In ethics, integrity is regarded by many people as the honesty and truthfulness or accuracy of one's actions. Integrity can stand in opposition to hypocrisy,[2] in that judging with the standards of integrity involves regarding internal consistency as a virtue, and suggests that parties holding within themselves apparently conflicting values should account for the discrepancy or alter their beliefs."

Not trying to "Steal" anything, comparatively speaking, isn't RCCL stealing when they charge $12 for a glass of wine? lol

No. They are offering goods for a price. It is your option to buy that or not.

And you are permitted to carry on two bottles of wine per cabin, no corkage fee charged anywhere.

Yes OP, technically sharing is stealing (according to everyone-so don't ever share anything anywhere). Then again if you purchase, or attain something legally then it's your's. If you decide to give it away, it was your's to give. So, per the rules, they don't condone sharing, but don't really say anything about stealing. It's really a gray line sort of thing. If you want to be a good cruiser just don't do it.

When the wife and I go out this may we'll both have drink packages and we wouldn't get into sharing if we didn't, but I can see where a couple might have one drink package and the wife lets say might want a beer once or twice. Sure she could buy one, but whatever....I know this is a pretty unpopular opinion, but I'm just telling it like it is...I'm not going to pretend like I'm a perfect person.

We do dress up on formal nights, so there is that!

Edited by splash_in_the_water

When I purchase the drink package, my wife is not obligated to purchase the same package correct? they have changed the rules. not everyone is obligated to buy a package any longer

If I purchase the drink package, is there a limit on how many drinks I can order at the bar? one drink at a time , period per card/package.

Will the bartender note from my account when I ordered a drink and not let me purchase another one for 15 minutes? the 15 minutes is for the soda cup/freestyle machine( and confused with carnival's policy of a 15 minute gap between drinks)

If there is no time limit between drink orders, couldn't I buy my wife a drink, then go back up and get myself one? (Discretely of course). Buy as in CHARGE TO YOUR SEAPASS ACCOUNT? yes. 'buy' as in use your drink package: NO. there is zero sharing allowed and yes one drink is sharing.

if she does not drink enough to warrant getting a package on her own, then she can pay for hers one at a time using her sea pass card. or by sending you with it to get one.

Not trying to "Steal" anything, comparatively speaking, isn't RCCL stealing when they charge $12 for a glass of wine? lol

the glass of wine I had at dinner downtown Riverwalk on Friday night was $17. the glass of wine I had in Old Town Helotes yesterday afternoon was $15.

$12 is about average for any decent wine that is not House.

How anyone can think a drinks package is meant to be shared is beyond me. The fact that the cruise lines are starting to relax the rules about everyone in a cabin having to buy the package is great ..... but if folks keep trying to cheat the system they will change the rules again and we will all loose out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Shortly, DW and I will embark on the first of 3 BTB cruises on Voyager. The first is 11 nights and will earn us our Diamond status with Royal. This cruise has us 8 days at sea including embarkation day, with the last 4 at sea. Thinking about buying the Premium for this cruise or at least the last 4 days.

On the second cruise 15 nights with 11 at sea (we are now Diamond), we have purchased Premium packages (which we are able to cancel before sail day). I understand Diamond passengers have access to the lounge from 5-8pm (we are on late sitting for dinner) when we can partake in free champagne and wine plus 25% off other drinks. However, I heard somewhere on CC that we are entitled to 3 drinks on our sea pass card each day to be obtained anywhere on board. Is this correct and if so are there limitations to the type of drinks for the 3, similar to the lounge restrictions?

On the 3rd cruise 14 nights with 10 at sea , we are early seating for dinner as our kids and grandkids will be on this one. (so we might buy a package also if our kidneys are able to take it by then):)

Sorry to hijack this thread but we are just looking for some advice from the more seasoned travelers.

Thanks

I think the drink packages are good, but, they are not really meant to be shared.

I believe the kids would benefit from the first package, with just sodas and such.

I don't think you arte stealing anything, just asking a cost conscious question, similar to one I have asked before.

I like the drink packages personally...

... I understand Diamond passengers have access to the lounge from 5-8pm (we are on late sitting for dinner) when we can partake in free champagne and wine plus 25% off other drinks. However, I heard somewhere on CC that we are entitled to 3 drinks on our sea pass card each day to be obtained anywhere on board. Is this correct and if so are there limitations to the type of drinks for the 3, similar to the lounge restrictions?...

If you are recognized as Diamond (which is not a certainty), you will be givien 3 drink vouchers per night on your SeaPass card. These can be used in any bar and the main theater. They can only be used during a limited time each evening, usually 5 to 8:30pm. Drinks will be limited to something like this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44235491&postcount=12

In addition, if your ship has a dedicated Diamond Lounge, you can have unlimited drinks of the same type during cocktail hours in that lounge.

Edited by clarea

If you are recognized as Diamond (which is not a certainty), you will be givien 3 drink vouchers per night on your SeaPass card. These can be used in any bar and the main theater. They can only be used during a limited time each evening, usually 5 to 8:30pm. Drinks will be limited to something like this:

In addition, if your ship has a dedicated Diamond Lounge, you can have unlimited drinks of the same type during cocktail hours in that lounge.

Thanks Bob

What did you mean by this please? "If you are recognized as Diamond (which is not a certainty)"

Consult aa.com after the cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Bob

What did you mean by this please? "If you are recognized as Diamond (which is not a certainty)"

It's up to the Loyalty Ambassador to decide if they will extend Diamond perks to you. My guess is that they would recognize your new level, but every once in a while you get someone who won't budge and won't recognize your new level until it shows up in Miami's database. I suggest you visit the Loyalty Ambassador during your first cruise and mention your upcoming change of level.

Edited by clarea

Thanks Bob

If you're turning diamond sometime during the first cruise, the diamond perks don't kick in until after that cruise. But they also say it can take x weeks for points to be attributed to you. So in theory, you could be finished all 3 of your B2Bs before they apply your points and you get recognised as diamond.

I've seen other people on this forum suggesting that in situations like yours, where you'll move ranks during B2B sailings, that you should talk to the loyalty ambassador on board and see if they can ensure your points are applied asap.

If I were you, I'd talk to the loyalty ambassador as early as possible during the first trip, explaining the situation. That way if there is something she can do, she has some time to prepare before your second leg.

It's up to the Loyalty Ambassador to decide if they will extend Diamond perks to you. My guess is that they would recognize your new level, but every once in a while you get someone who won't budge and won't recognize your new level until it shows up in Miami's database. I suggest you visit the Loyalty Ambassador during your first cruise and mention your upcoming change of level.

OK thanks for clarifying that. Will be sure to hook up with the Loyalty Ambassador as soon as we can.

Cheers:)

She is not obligated to get one.

It's supposed to be 15 minutes. In reality this isn't enforced often.

Yes, you could and I'm sure this is done regularly. I'd suggest tipping the bartender $5 or so with the first drink so he remembers you and will take care of you as you return to that bar.

Has a none been turned away for less then 15 minutes?

Edited by IDcruising
Mistake

Thanks for your help with this Bob. Last question from me on this subject, I promise. What you sent me says happy hour is 4.30 - 8pm. On here people are saying it's 5.30 - 8pm. Can you clarify for me please?

Edited by mildew1951

Thanks for your help with this Bob. Last question from me on this subject, I promise. What you sent me says happy hour is 4.30 - 8pm. On here people are saying it's 5.30 - 8pm. Can you clarify for me please?

It varies from ship to ship depending on what times the traditional dining times are scheduled. Those times vary as well. Sometimes the hours are 5:00-8:30 as well. They try to give equal time to both dinner seatings. :)