Credit card charges

lorri111

Does Princess charge a fee for paying either or both of deposit and final payment by credit card booking from Australia? I can't find anything about it on their webpage but going back over last years payments I see that both payments to Princess were greater than the listed amount and I am trying to work out if it was just the foreign exchange fee or if a credit card fee was included as well. If so, is it higher for Amex than MC or Visa? I am planning my cruise for next year and trying to weigh up how best to make the payments - balancing off fees v 'complementary" travel insurance for paying by credit card.

Does Princess charge a fee for paying either or both of deposit and final payment by credit card booking from Australia? I can't find anything about it on their webpage but going back over last years payments I see that both payments to Princess were greater than the listed amount and I am trying to work out if it was just the foreign exchange fee or if a credit card fee was included as well. If so, is it higher for Amex than MC or Visa? I am planning my cruise for next year and trying to weigh up how best to make the payments - balancing off fees v 'complementary" travel insurance for paying by credit card.

We weren't charged any credit card fee when we bought some OBC. If your cruise was outside of Australia and your account was in USD then yes you pay a transaction fee on your CC. That's why we have bought OBC before we leave to avoid the transaction fee and plus Princess are giving a good exchange rate too.

Yes they do 1.5% surcharge in Australia when paying off your cruise using a credit card or debit card.

This is what says: Please note that an additional credit card fee of 1.5% will apply to all credit & debit card payments.

Couldn't find that anywhere myself. Interesting that it applies to debit cards too as I was just told by Qantas Cash that no charges are supposed to apply to prepaid debit cards.

If you transfer a booking to some travel agencies they don't charge a surcharge. You just got to work out what is the best deal for you.

That is in the USA.

Australia laws allow companies accepting credit cards to optionally add a surcharge.

For sure, if I were Australian, I would opt out of the surcharge and demand the credit card people pay a living wage;) Oh, that is a different subject isn't it ?:)

That is in the USA.

Australia laws allow companies accepting credit cards to optionally add a surcharge.

hi,its the same in uk also.i booked a cruise online direct with princess last week and the surcharge only popped up at payment stage.lucky i had a fcc from last year and used that,cheers brian.

Shop around. Some online TAs don't charge credit card fees.

BTW I've seen at least one place, can't remember if it was an airline or online accomodation booking agent, that wanted to charge fees for credit cards, debit cards, BPay, and direct bank transfers. However you paid you were going to get charged, and it wasn't a low percentage either.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Shop around. Some online TAs don't charge credit card fees.

BTW I've seen at least one place, can't remember if it was an airline or online accomodation booking agent, that wanted to charge fees for credit cards, debit cards, BPay, and direct bank transfers. However you paid you were going to get charged, and it wasn't a low percentage either.

That's a bit poor. Usually they have one option with no fees. :(