Adventure of the seas-Windjammer quality?

It seems to be pretty common for just about every review to say the windjammer was not very good and worst then just about every other cruise line.

What are some suggestions to try and get RCI to listen and change? It appears they don't care and will keep the windjammer as a subpar eatery compared to the other guys. We sail on March 15 and if the windjammer is bland and not up to the current buffet standards of the other ships I may never cruise on RCI again. Just about every single review states the windjammer was the worst part of the ship.

This isn't a new complaint as you can look back over the past year at all of the reviews and its pretty consistent.

I'm excited for the cruise and the windjammer won't ruin our cruise but it's not like we got a "cheap" deal. "You get what you pay for"-well I paid a lot for this cruise so we shouldn't get Carnival's $99 food.

Still excited for our cruise regardless.

We were on Adventure recently for two weeks and I didn't see any noticible decline in food quality. As usual, breakfast was largely the same choices every day, but they had a good variety at lunch day to day.

It seems to be pretty common for just about every review to say the windjammer was not very good and worst then just about every other cruise line.

What are some suggestions to try and get RCI to listen and change? It appears they don't care and will keep the windjammer as a subpar eatery compared to the other guys. We sail on March 15 and if the windjammer is bland and not up to the current buffet standards of the other ships I may never cruise on RCI again. Just about every single review states the windjammer was the worst part of the ship.

This isn't a new complaint as you can look back over the past year at all of the reviews and its pretty consistent.

I'm excited for the cruise and the windjammer won't ruin our cruise but it's not like we got a "cheap" deal. "You get what you pay for"-well I paid a lot for this cruise so we shouldn't get Carnival's $99 food.

You said it won't ruin your cruise, but in the beginning you said you will never cruise with RCI again if the Windjammer food is bland! So which is it???? :confused:

Many feel that Carnival's "$99 food" is better than RCI, so not really sure what your point is there.

You said it won't ruin your cruise, but in the beginning you said you will never cruise with RCI again if the Windjammer food is bland! So which is it???? :confused:

I will still have a good time but I won't be paying for another RCI cruise as Carnival is cheaper and has better buffet food.

Many feel that Carnival's "$99 food" is better than RCI, so not really sure what your point is there.

Well I don't know the "many" that you speak of but I know Carnival has good food. I just think you should get what you pay for or better and it seems the opposite is starting to occur on AOS windjammer.

We spent 2 weeks on AD in December and thought WJ was very good. It was better than it had been in the most recent couple of years. Good variety and good taste. The only thing "lacking" was variety in desserts (which I don't need anyway.lol) We even did dinner a couple of nights (which we don't normally do). Good quality and good variety (except desserts).

We spent 2 weeks on AD in December and thought WJ was very good. It was better than it had been in the most recent couple of years. Good variety and good taste. The only thing "lacking" was variety in desserts (which I don't need anyway.lol) We even did dinner a couple of nights (which we don't normally do). Good quality and good variety (except desserts).

Well I hope more come out and state some positive reviews. Just seems like even the positive ship reviews always state the WJ as being fairly poor.

Thank you all for responding.

I will still have a good time but I won't be paying for another RCI cruise as Carnival is cheaper and has better buffet food.

OK now I'm really confused. First you said you paid a lot so you "shouldn't get Carnival's $99 food." But then you said Carnival "has better buffet food." :confused:

I guess if you take a cruise strictly for the quality of the buffet food your decision makes sense. Most of us, however, consider the total cruise experience which includes the service, entertainment, itinerary and much more.

OK now I'm really confused. First you said you paid a lot so you "shouldn't get Carnival's $99 food." But then you said Carnival "has better buffet food." :confused:

So when they cruise on Carnival and pay a lot I wonder if they will say they shouldn't get RCI's $0.99 food???? :confused::rolleyes:

If you can't find anything that suit you taste on a whole buffet and the buffet food is a deal breaker for you out of everything the ship has to offer, then I guess it's time to move on to another cruiseline that has a "Better" Buffet!

Thank you all for your responses. I am not saying the food is bad only that so many have complained about the WJ for some time now and it seems RCI hasn't done anything.

Food is a big part of the cruise for me but it may not be for others. If you don't have anything to add in regards to whether the WJ is good/bad or if RCI should do anything about it then why do you chose to respond?

Thank you all for your responses. I am not saying the food is bad only that so many have complained about the WJ for some time now and it seems RCI hasn't done anything.

Food is a big part of the cruise for me but it may not be for others. If you don't have anything to add in regards to whether the WJ is good/bad or if RCI should do anything about it then why do you chose to respond?

I have been on ships where the Windjammer food was excellent and on other ships when it was not so great. Nonetheless I could always find enough tasty items to satisfy me. On two recent cruises, the Navigator and Serenade, a Miami based RCI Chef was onboard addressing the food quality in the WJ, MDR and specialty restaurants. So your concerns are being addressed.

Like you I am a foodie and food is also a big part of my cruise vacation. That is why I typically avoid the WJ and MDR and eat in the specialty restaurants.

Your desire to have people limit their responses to only whether the WJ is good or bad or should be improved draws a tiny box. When you post on these forum you should expect replies that broadens the margins of your inquiry.

I have been on ships where the Windjammer food was excellent and on other ships when it was not so great. Nonetheless I could always find enough tasty items to satisfy me. On two recent cruises, the Navigator and Serenade, a Miami based RCI Chef was onboard addressing the food quality in the WJ, MDR and specialty restaurants. So your concerns are being addressed.

Like you I am a foodie and food is also a big part of my cruise vacation. That is why I typically avoid the WJ and MDR and eat in the specialty restaurants.

Your desire to have people limit their responses to only whether the WJ is good or bad or should be improved draws a tiny box. When you post on these forum you should expect replies that broadens the margins of your inquiry.

Thank you and we are excited for our cruise in March!

So you're complaining before you even get on the ship? Based on others reviews?........:rolleyes: Whatever. I suspect you will be disappointed. You are clearly setting yourself up to be unhappy with the food. Have fun!!!

Edited by bouhunter

I don't think I've ever been to a buffet that was perfect. That's kind of the nature of buffets. If they made all the food to order and had it served then it wouldn't be a buffet. The Windjammer food on all of the RCI ships we've been on has always been pretty good. It's hectic and crazy and an absolutely wonderful experience because we're on a ship. We don't eat there all the time since they tend to repeat stuff a lot, but it serve's its purpose pretty well, at least in my opinion.

I've had dishes in the MDR that I didn't really like much and with a mere sad face or mention usually the waiter notices and offers something else. They are like magic in their ability to read people. I've even had the waiters offer to bring me something else in addition to what I order just in case I might not like it (if I seem hesitant). We're getting served by really great people and we don't have to cook and, again absolutely wonderful because we're on a cruise.

I think it's human nature to lament the old days or wish things were better. I also notice that the complaints tend to illicit longer conversations so I think a lot of people tend to jump on those threads both in support of and against the complainer.

As far as I'm concerned as long as it doesn't turn into personal insults it's all really good fun and I super enjoy the banter here. I consider the complaints, forward interesting tips to my DW, and really enjoy the camaraderie with other cruisers. We still have 78 days until our next cruise and I'd go crazy if I didn't have Cruise Critic to check every so often. The complaints tend to stick out to us, but, in fact, there are at least as many great stories and helpful bits of information. And, it's fun to live vicariously through others while waiting for our vacation to arrive.

I guess you could call me a Cruise Critic advocate! Over the years it's become part of my overall cruise experience. I love it most on board the ship, but when I can't be on a ship I can be on this board enjoying other people's experiences and dreaming about the next time.

Tom

I'm curious what you mean by "addressing the food quality". Were they speaking about it? Looking at it? Tasting it? Changing it? Asking passengers' opinions?

Edited by time4u2go

On our last 2 week Navigator cruise we found that the buffet was larger and had better variety than Princess (and we have 21 cruises with that line). While the food didn't change much from day to day, I still never got around to trying all the items I wanted to because I liked everything I was eating and didn't need more.

We have a 2 week Adventure cruise scheduled for this spring and fully expect the Windjammer to be as good as Navigator.

Been on both Carnival and RCCL. The buffet is a place I go for a fast meal and expect low quality. After all, it is a buffet. Food sitting out under heat lamps, being touched by the masses. Now on a Carnival ship, it seems the customers prefer the buffet over sitting down for a leisure dinner.

With that in mind, Buffets are designed to be low quality and with all the great options to eat, I eat breakfast only. :D