Mediterranean Fashionista

Yunric

Yes, of course you have to be comfortable or you're not going to enjoy your time. I also have the same concerns about looking like an obvious tourist. When in Italy, I tend to go for all black.

We are on the Reflection for the re-positioning cruise in April. I've just about figured out my packing as we are gone for 23 days... I think my lifesaves will be the two peplum tops I bought- one black, one cream. They mix and match well with any bottom I have. Here's my inspiration photo (only with flats of course!).

Best of luck and have fun!

Katy

Love the style!

Sent from my Arc using Forums mobile app

This thread is very insightful!! I'm going on a East. Mediterranean cruise in May (Italy/Croatia/Turkey/Greece).

I honestly rarely dress casual. I don't even own a pair of regular shorts (gym shorts yeah). I have t-shirts but I only wear them to work out. I don't own flip flops.

I also studied in spain when I was in college and know that people in Europe tend to dress less casually in general compared to americans.

My concern is the opposite. I think I may be overdressed and stickout from other people on tour excursions. Every picture I've seen, people are dressed super casual like they are going to the beach. That's not my personal style so I'm having a bit of dilemma about my wardrobe on the trip. It is interesting to see other people's perspectives.

I agree with Crystalspin, dress in the way that you are comfortable with, I think a way to really feel uncomfortable is to try & suddenly change your style when you travel. What I wear when I go to Europe is what I would would wear at home (except with more layers sometimes, doesn't get that cold at home)

I found it interesting that you don't own flip flops... I'm just being nosy, what do you wear when you go to a beach or get a pedicure? Just wondering. :)

We are doing a Med cruise in June. I pick a color pallet - this time it will be black/tan/coral - and try to pack light.

• 2 pr Cotton pants with a bit of stretch in them that I can roll at the ankle a little
  • 5 short-sleeve or sleeveless blouses in wrinkle-resistant fabrics
  • 1 light cardigan
  • 2 skirts
  • 1-2 T-shirts
  • 1 pr leggings
  • 1 pair of comfortable/cute sandals (haven't narrowed these down yet)
  • 1 pair Supergas (Italian sneakers)
  • 1 pair flip-flops
  • 1 dress
  • Simple jewelry

@ Lois R

We have similar traveling style except I have mostly long pants (but thin). Those are even some of my colors this trip (teal/turquoise).

Hi:).....I have plenty of long pants;) but what I wore in the pictures

worked really well:D

We cruised the Med in May too; some of the ports were very hot in Mid-May, so do be prepared for that. Most people on our excursions wore shorts or capris, maybe a few sundresses or light slacks, much like the pictures Lois posted.

On a different cruise, I really suffered on a post cruise day in Rome (end of April) because I tried to dress as I thought Italian women of my age (mid-sixties) might dress--black, chic slacks and tops. It was just too hot--mid 90's--; the next two days I wore capris and tanks with a short-sleeved white shirt to layer for churches. Did I look like a tourist? Yes. Did I almost have a heat stroke like the day before? No.

And besides, most of the older women I saw in Rome were dressed either very formally (suits) or frumpily (housedresses, old lady style slack sets).

Comfy shoes are a must--I prefer sandals that are meant for walking, as they are cooler, but also sneakers or, if you can find them, really supportive flats.

I think that all of us look like tourists no matter what we do so just go with what is comfortable and has multiple uses.

I pack the same type of clothing that Lois has posted pictures of and never feel out of place. It will be warm in the Med in May so plan accordingly. My October 2014 cruise was cooler and very different temperature wise....

Lois, I hope you make it back in 2016! I'm sailing Celebrity after 2 on RCI and can't wait :)

I disagree. I have been mistaken for a local in the UK (well duh, I'm of Irish with a smidge of English ancestry) and in Italy (I don't get that one, but whatever.) I at least try to look like an ex pat.

We don't wear trainers, baseball caps, or typical US T-shirts covered with the logo of a sports team or soft drink. We don't carry giant bags stuffed with every possible "what if I need it" item. We carry ourselves like locals, don't rush here there and everywhere, and often wander out of the tourist areas and check out the real city.

And for goodness sake, don't expect the locals to speak English. Learn some key phrases in the language of the country you are visiting. You'll get better service and prices if you do. (I had a man trying to charge me 20 Euro for a drawing outside of Notre Dame. As soon as I began speaking to him in (admittedly poor) French, "Est le prix le plus bas?" the price dropped to 5 Euro.)

We cruised the Med in May too; some of the ports were very hot in Mid-May, so do be prepared for that. Most people on our excursions wore shorts or capris, maybe a few sundresses or light slacks, much like the pictures Lois posted.

On a different cruise, I really suffered on a post cruise day in Rome (end of April) because I tried to dress as I thought Italian women of my age (mid-sixties) might dress--black, chic slacks and tops. It was just too hot--mid 90's--; the next two days I wore capris and tanks with a short-sleeved white shirt to layer for churches. Did I look like a tourist? Yes. Did I almost have a heat stroke like the day before? No.

And besides, most of the older women I saw in Rome were dressed either very formally (suits) or frumpily (housedresses, old lady style slack sets).

Comfy shoes are a must--I prefer sandals that are meant for walking, as they are cooler, but also sneakers or, if you can find them, really supportive flats.

My experience in Rome is that the locals tend to wear a lot of skirts in warmer months. I wear lightweight cotton or linen blend mid-calf skirts with lightweight cotton or linen blend tops in most of Italy. Easy to pack, and will keep you cool, and completely appropriate for churches and such.

My experience in Rome is that the locals tend to wear a lot of skirts in warmer months. I wear lightweight cotton or linen blend mid-calf skirts with lightweight cotton or linen blend tops in most of Italy. Easy to pack, and will keep you cool, and completely appropriate for churches and such.

I agree, skirts work great-but I expected cool to warm temps, from my research, not blindingly hot, in April. That was my mistake, not being ready for a heat wave. Weather can't be predicted--it was 92 last week here in Nebraka in mid-March!

I do like cotton skirts, can't wear linen. I just didn't have any along that trip (a Transatlantic). It's lucky I had a pair of cool cotton capris along, as I normally don't like wearing them.

Since our cruise next year will be my first warm weather cruise to the Med, I'm packing differently than usual, & I'm packing a lighter color palette, pale grey, taupe, & pale rose & blue, I'm packing skirts, which I've never done before, even though it's a year away, I've bought 3 new skirts which I'll put away, as I know this company sells out of stuff fast & then it's gone :(

http://www.garnethill.com/knit-midi-skirt/womens-fashion/skirts/378818?&defattribvalue=main

I bought the skirt above in both colors, absolutely love it, & want to wear it now, & will probably give in :)

I also bought the skirt below in just the grey color (I love the white, but I don't want to worry about keeping it clean)

http://www.garnethill.com/eileen-fisher-organic-linen-drawstring-skirt/womens-fashion/skirts/343933?&defattribvalue=main

I've got some loose v-neck cotton/linen been tee shirts to bring, & I'm looking for some loose spaghetti strap or sleeveless tops to take. Shoe wise, I think I'll probably be wearing birkenstocks, & I'll wear shorts some days (not in Rome though, ) (I know :eek: ) But I totally side with Nebraska Cruiser & Letue I don't handle heat well, & I like being comfortable & trying to blend in, so I'm going prepared. I know I should like a crazy lady planning my wardrobe a year in advance, but for me that's part of the fun!

P.S. Lois, I hope you can join us!

Edited by cruise kitty

Hi Cruise Kitty:)....not sure what I am doing next year at this point.

I have Alaska in May and then?.......I am not going to get into it

here (since this is the fashion forum;)).......but I just got off my

worst cruise with Celebrity in 12 years:(.....so I need to think long

and hard after I get back from Alaska (that one is already paid for)

but I may have to take a step back from them.

Lois, I know you don't want to discuss it here, but you have my sympathy, what happened was just wrong, & how it was (not) handled makes it worse.

I hope that your Alaska cruise is so fantastic that you'll book the May cruise, :)

Debbie

Since our cruise next year will be my first warm weather cruise to the Med, I'm packing differently than usual, & I'm packing a lighter color palette, pale grey, taupe, & pale rose & blue, I'm packing skirts, which I've never done before, even though it's a year away, I've bought 3 new skirts which I'll put away, as I know this company sells out of stuff fast & then it's gone :(

http://www.garnethill.com/knit-midi-skirt/womens-fashion/skirts/378818?&defattribvalue=main

I bought the skirt above in both colors, absolutely love it, & want to wear it now, & will probably give in :)

I also bought the skirt below in just the grey color (I love the white, but I don't want to worry about keeping it clean)

http://www.garnethill.com/eileen-fisher-organic-linen-drawstring-skirt/womens-fashion/skirts/343933?&defattribvalue=main

I've got some loose v-neck cotton/linen been tee shirts to bring, & I'm looking for some loose spaghetti strap or sleeveless tops to take. Shoe wise, I think I'll probably be wearing birkenstocks, & I'll wear shorts some days (not in Rome though, ) (I know :eek: ) But I totally side with Nebraska Cruiser & Letue I don't handle heat well, & I like being comfortable & trying to blend in, so I'm going prepared. I know I should like a crazy lady planning my wardrobe a year in advance, but for me that's part of the fun!

P.S. Lois, I hope you can join us!

Love those skirts! Good call about not buying white. There's no way it would stay clean--most of the Med is a little to a lot grimy. I would beware of sleeveless tops as you can't wear them into churches. Ecco has some cute walking shoes/sandals which are nicer looking then Birks as an FYI. ;)

Ducklite!

I love your lists- thank you!

We leave May 15, and the guest room is "Vacation Central". I've started putting 'maybes' in there.

Over the weekend i will try on things and see what goes and what doesn't. I will post some pics of the tshirt dresses i bought for sightseeing- they are short sleeved and to the knee. I always have a pash in case I need one. (in Turkey for the Mosques)

Colour palate will be the next thing i cull. I'm thinking black, white, khaki and some coral/pink for colour... My fave sight seeing FitFlops are bronze, so this will work.

Ducklite!

I love your lists- thank you!

We leave May 15, and the guest room is "Vacation Central". I've started putting 'maybes' in there.

Over the weekend i will try on things and see what goes and what doesn't. I will post some pics of the tshirt dresses i bought for sightseeing- they are short sleeved and to the knee. I always have a pash in case I need one. (in Turkey for the Mosques)

Colour palate will be the next thing i cull. I'm thinking black, white, khaki and some coral/pink for colour... My fave sight seeing FitFlops are bronze, so this will work.

Make sure the skirt is below the knee. I saw the Vatican guards turning away people with skirts "at" the knee but not below it. I wore a mid calf length skirt and top with short sleeves that day.

Lois, I know you don't want to discuss it here, but you have my sympathy, what happened was just wrong, & how it was (not) handled makes it worse.

I hope that your Alaska cruise is so fantastic that you'll book the May cruise, :)

Debbie

Hi Debbie....thanks:) and I think "empathy" would be a better term;)

Love those skirts! Good call about not buying white. There's no way it would stay clean--most of the Med is a little to a lot grimy. I would beware of sleeveless tops as you can't wear them into churches. Ecco has some cute walking shoes/sandals which are nicer looking then Birks as an FYI. ;)

Hi, yes, I'll have a little light sweater to cover up for churches.

& the Birks I'll be bringing are the ivory gizehs, I know they're not for everyone, but I think they're cute & can walk for miles in them.

Hi Cruise Kitty:)....not sure what I am doing next year at this point.

I have Alaska in May and then?.......I am not going to get into it

here (since this is the fashion forum;)).......but I just got off my

worst cruise with Celebrity in 12 years:(.....so I need to think long

and hard after I get back from Alaska (that one is already paid for)

but I may have to take a step back from them.

Sorry to hear Lois. BTW you were so helpful with wardrobe planning for our Alaska cruise; I am taking your advice for our upcoming med in May. Thank you for posting pictures. As the old adage goes....a picture is worth a thousand words. I am doing a "rethink" today of my picking list as I think I may need some lighter clothing along.

Make sure the skirt is below the knee. I saw the Vatican guards turning away people with skirts "at" the knee but not below it. I wore a mid calf length skirt and top with short sleeves that day.

Depends on the wearer's age. We saw 'cute young things' (20yo's) wearing skirts a few inches above the knee allowed in.

Depends on the wearer's age. We saw 'cute young things' (20yo's) wearing skirts a few inches above the knee allowed in.

We had the opposite--the younger they were (outside of true children) the stricter the guards seemed to be. They had no tolerance for teens for sure.

I've been looking for blazer for work that could double as a blazer for travel. I think I finally found it: Garnet Hill has the "Favorite Knit Jacket." French jersey and lined. Very lightweight and feels really nice. It's a "tuxedo" collar, not a notched collar, but I don't mind. I can scrunch up the arms to the elbows if I want ( which is what I did today ). Looks good with jeans, my black pants, and my khakis. It shouldn't take up much room in a bag. It isn't Walmart-priced ($138), but for me, it is totally worth it. It'll go with me to Italy in a few weeks.