Mediterranean Fashionista

Yunric

Many of the hawkers in Rome are illegals, be careful buying from them as it is a crime to buy from an unlicensed vendor in Rome. There are half a dozen or so outside of Termeni that are licensed and legal, and between them they have thousands of scarves to choose from. I found my favorite one ever there, and the price was reasonable.

We were in Rome last year in the beginning of June and it was quite warm.

I do plan on taking a lightweight sweater/shawl/wrap thing that I have. It doesn't wrinkle, has sleeves and you can wrap it so it looks chic.

I live in Toronto so as long as there is no snow- I'm good in FitFlops... LOL

What has really helped my packing this time is sticking to a colour palate. Black, white, coral and khaki. Scarf has black white and coral- looks cute with the khaki jersey dress, and livens up black bottoms and a khaki and white striped tshirt., etc..

Cross body bag and shoes/ fitflops are bronzey colour.

We were in Rome last year in the beginning of June and it was quite warm.

I do plan on taking a lightweight sweater/shawl/wrap thing that I have. It doesn't wrinkle, has sleeves and you can wrap it so it looks chic.

I live in Toronto so as long as there is no snow- I'm good in FitFlops... LOL

What has really helped my packing this time is sticking to a colour palate. Black, white, coral and khaki. Scarf has black white and coral- looks cute with the khaki jersey dress, and livens up black bottoms and a khaki and white striped tshirt., etc..

Cross body bag and shoes/ fitflops are bronzey colour.

Sounds cute, comfy and coordinated. Have fun on your trip. Only 18 days til I leave for Rome. :)

Happy travels to everyone who's headed out to Europe soon :)

I've got a exactly a year till I leave again :eek:

I enjoy everyone's lists & observations, esp. the photo lists, but I have to say, when it comes to what to wear/pack, the only thing I can be an expert in is what's suitable/comfortable for me. :)

What are teens wearing during the summer months to religious sites? I plan to wear capris to the Vatican museums and to the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona as well as a few other sites, but I'm not sure what to pack for my teen daughter. She balked at the thought of capri pants. I think pants or jeans will be too hot for her in later June / early July. She suggested leggings but that seems too informal. She has a maxi skirt that might work, but she need a few more options.

What are teens wearing during the summer months to religious sites? I plan to wear capris to the Vatican museums and to the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona as well as a few other sites, but I'm not sure what to pack for my teen daughter. She balked at the thought of capri pants. I think pants or jeans will be too hot for her in later June / early July. She suggested leggings but that seems too informal. She has a maxi skirt that might work, but she need a few more options.

Hi, it will be very hot! Leggings would be fine, but they might be a bit warm, I'd suggest lightweight sundresses that are long enough to cover her knees, she can keep a very lightweight chambray button up shirt in her bag, throw it on, roll up the sleeves & tie it at the waist before entering churches, take it off after. :)

Have a great time. :)

I know you said she balked at capris - I would too (I just don't like that length) ;)

Have her take a look at these ankle pants:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=458414032

Worn with a tank top (and have a long sleeve shirt nearby as a "cover"), and sandals - like the one photo on the page, this could be a good one. I have a pair of these in black. The fabric is very lightweight. I can leave at ankle length or roll up to go shorter if I want (I don't). I actually have the one full ensemble on the one photo with the black pants, striped tank and jacket. It's what I wear around if I don't want to do jeans. And, the fabric is SPF'd, so you also get sun protection. Trust me - they aren't hot at all, but rather cool… I had them with me the other week in Italy. It just wasn't warm enough for me to break them out (wore my jeans instead)...

Edited by slidergirl

Check out old navy for their soft pants. Super cute and I see teens wearing them. They are kind of billowy and very on point trend wise. I'm finishing up last minute things, stuff is all in the packing room. :)

Everything goes in on Thursday night for our Friday departure. Anything that is non wrinkle is already in, and dresses and wrinkle prone go in last minute.

Sent from my Arc using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

So I just got back from my Mediterranean/adriatic sea cruise.

I realized that you are never going to totally blend in with the locals. Maybe if you have ancestors from that region AND dress exactly like them, will they think you are local. But other than that they will be able to see you are a tourist a mile away, no matter what you are wearing.

Also, if you tend to dress more local, if you do shore excursions, then you may end up sticking out from other people on your tour. I feel like I did. Most people were wearing khaki, shorts, t-shirts, light color clothing. While, I wore mostly darker clothing and covered my arms and legs. I dressed more conservatively.

In some ways its good to look like a tourist, because people are generally friendly and also give you space. I also noticed people who looked more local getting a bit more scrutinized when coming back through the port terminal security (not the cruise security, the security for the ports).

Honestly, so many spots that we went to were so touristy, I mean all I saw were tourists, that its hard to say what the locals were wearing because the locals weren't frequenting those spots.

I think next time I take a Mediterranean cruise, I will just wear whatever dresses I feel like and always have a light sweater/scarf for cover up. I'm still not a shorts and t-shirt person, but I will probably wear more lighter colors.

Also, another thing that is absolutely wonderful is Febreeze wrinkle release. It was my first time using it and it actually works!! I hung up all my clothes the first night and used it and by morning none of my cottony clothes had wrinkles.

• 3 months later...

I'm not concerned about fitting in, just staying upright in the heat! I am planning a med cruise for next July (possibly August) to Italy, Greece, Turkey etc. I am interested in any other suggestions about comfortable clothing for the heat.... I've seen mention of moisture wicking clothing, but not sure what to get that's not workout wear...

I know I have almost a year, but planning is half the fun! I'm worried about the heat because I don't do well in the heat, but traveling in the summer is my only option as a teacher.

A med cruise is great, but very Port intensive so gets quite tiring, so I suggest if you can, move date from August to perhaps June or mid September . Most years August is HOT and sometimes HUMID, this year we've had shade temps in mid 40C, certainly much too hot for sight seeing and next year is due to be the same.

Sandy in Spain

I'm not concerned about fitting in, just staying upright in the heat! I am planning a med cruise for next July (possibly August) to Italy, Greece, Turkey etc. I am interested in any other suggestions about comfortable clothing for the heat.... I've seen mention of moisture wicking clothing, but not sure what to get that's not workout wear...

I know I have almost a year, but planning is half the fun! I'm worried about the heat because I don't do well in the heat, but traveling in the summer is my only option as a teacher.

Everyone has their own preferences on clothing. I suggest cotton.......

it breathes:) I went to the MED in May (2012)......for excursions, I wore

lightweight cotton bottoms and cotton tops. They worked well for me.

If you want to see a few photos, click on my signature and go to

the album that says EQUINOX MAY 2012........I have alot of pictures

and many are during the day in Italy, Greece and Turkey:D

Edited by Lois R

Look into products by ExOfficio, Royal Robbins, The North Face, Columbia. Moisture-wicking, lightweight clothes that aren't workout wear. Some of my ExOfficio and TNF (and Athleta) tops double as tops to wear under my business suit at work!

NatalieWood, also look at TekGear at Kohls for budget, Athleta & Sierra Trading Post. I basically live in the technical fabric (moisture wicking) items now, especially if they have the sun protection built in. Don't break the bank, unbelievable easy care & lightweight

Edited by awhfy

So I just got back from my Mediterranean/adriatic sea cruise.

I realized that you are never going to totally blend in with the locals. Maybe if you have ancestors from that region AND dress exactly like them, will they think you are local. But other than that they will be able to see you are a tourist a mile away, no matter what you are wearing.

Also, if you tend to dress more local, if you do shore excursions, then you may end up sticking out from other people on your tour. I feel like I did. Most people were wearing khaki, shorts, t-shirts, light color clothing. While, I wore mostly darker clothing and covered my arms and legs. I dressed more conservatively.

I'm not convinced that your statement (highlighted in red) is true, but I can see how it might seem that way if it is your first visit to Europe and you mostly take the ship excursions.

I almost never take the ship's excursions because I enjoy going around on my own and figuring out the local transportation, where to eat, what to see.

I've been mistaken several times for a local in various countries., even ones where I do not look like the local gene pool. I suspect it's because I am on my own, appear purposeful, and often they do not hear me talking to anyone (a dead giveaway).

:)

My travel wardrobe is based on hiking clothing that is durable, comfortable, and easy to care for. In recent years many brands have developed lines that are more mainstream in fashion. I would suggest visiting a local outdoor/hiking store and look and try on different brands to see what you like and how it fits. Once you know what you like and how it fits you can make purchases from whatever store you want.

I try to look nice where ever I go but don't specifically dress to blend in with others because I only care what I look like.

Shak