Solo on the Eurodam Feb. 1 - longish diary

msteries

This past year I had one medical problem after another. I had decided that I was too afraid to fly and take my usual cruise alone, but by early January I began to think that I just had to do something to get out of my new habits of fear and anxiety. (and out of the Ohio winter). I booked very late and got an excellent price on an ocean view cabin, but any savings from that was eaten up by the high price for a room in my favorite Ft Lauderdale hotel, the Hilton Marina. Delta was more than AirTran, too.

Chilly and very windy in Ft Lauderdale. So not a night to linger at the outdoor bar. Began my all fish, all the time, regimen with a scrumptious fish sandwich – it’s amazing that I don’t sprout gill slits by the end of the trip. Since things were so slow, great service and a chance to chat with bartenders. Morning walk around the marina was fun as always. Love to see the humongous yachts close-up, and of course one of the great things about the hotel is that many rooms have a view that includes a chance to see the cruise ships sail in during the predawn hours. And I always enjoy having coffee on a balcony that overlooks palm trees (easily amused…)

Tried going to cruise pier early instead of lounging around the hotel; figured standing for long time in a big line not a good thing for bad hip. So 1 1/2 hrs sitting on rather uncomfortable chairs although the checkin itself was a breeze. Only 2 or 3 others coming through the vast entry hall. Even chatted with TSA folks. Boarded almost 40 minutes late due to the Eurodam's second health inspection this year. Another perfect 100! Captain came online to apologize, brag, and say thanks to the crew. If I heard correctly: only ship ever to receive 8 perfect scores. Since I had come so early and had number 3, at the last things went fast. Luggage came within minutes of my arrival in cabin. Unpacked and ready to roam by 1:30.

Gloriously huge is 10001! Certainly much bigger than a Veranda stateroom and even bigger than my usual 8045 interior.

Picture window looks out over the prow, and has a ledge you could sit on with proper cushions. Nice to be able to see all the scenery going in and out of port, instead of just what the luck of the draw brings you either starboard or port side.

Cold windy weather continued; spent a lot of time huddled in my windbreaker. Was determined to once again be aft for sailaway and steel drum player. Sun did finally come out bright for sailaway so the beautiful houses, canals, and skyline glistened. But had to shelter in the bar part of the time in order to be out of wind. By second drinks order bartender sees I am solo, and jokes "you did order a double, didn't you?" As he winks he pours a very big double. Must take pains to explore the alcohol-free cocktails… Everywhere I go, staff is doubly attentive to little 'ol me. Still so chilled that a very long hot shower was the next order of the day.

Fun to see football jerseys on some. (Superbowl Sunday) Both teams' supporters found properly glitzy, one might almost say elegant, t-shirts. Will have to see if there is such a thing for Packers fans. During sailaway a small plane flew up and down the canal, trailing a banner that said "deflate this". At first I thought I was seeing things!

Could not get any air into my new meditation cushion. Almost blew out my brains trying. So gave to Front Desk with a plea to send to engineering. Wonder if it will show up in my cabin.

Unlike last year, where I had the table from hell, my dinner mates are pleasant, talkative, and well travelled folks. Two will be with me in the piano bar most nights, I suspect.

The BB King Blues Band is spectacular. Alas, sound was painfully loud - even for me, who likes to feel the boom of the amps. And it was freezing cold! Delightful to watch the 70+ crowd boogie! twist! and do the Watusi! Great 50/60's hits Memphis style. Too cold and loud for 2nd set, so I moved to Piano Bar, where last night the chap closed shortly after 11. (Hope he goes longer tonight). Greg Gallello (http://www.GregThe Entertainer.com) Great voice, began with Jim Croce and Cat Stevens, so I am certain the song choice will not be swarmy, doesn't use fancy synths or electric tracks. At least 6 people there knew him from previous cruises. Makes for a wonderful atmosphere. So tonight will head there first.

Ship was bouncy last night. Just love being rocked to sleep by Mother Nature. This morning I did five circuits of the ship and got my sea legs under me pretty quickly. One of the reasons I select HAL is for the Promenade Deck. I even like to go up at midnight and walk off the excesses of the evening. Day will be devoted to nesting in my cabana. Sun is out and finally starting to warm up.

Sea day. So grateful that some member of engineering took the time to inflate my new cushion. I wonder if my request went on the “whatever will they ask for next?!” list.

Super funtime in the Piano Bar. I met two British ladies (from the Midlands, I think) who called themselves the merry widows. We had fun throughout the cruise. Also enjoyed the company of my two table mates, Lynn and Rob. They have an architectural firm that specializes in industrial buildings. One of their more interesting commissions, however, had to do with converting a weirdly shaped hamburger joint into a Buddhist temple. Since architecture jobs dry up in the winter, they have just stared an online travel agency through Cruises Inc.

Each evening the same 20 or so folks shut down the bar, and this night the running gag was that Greg could never wet his whistle with his favorite Jaegermeister and Redbull concoction. Sounds ghastly but res gustandibus and all… Throughout the cruise the waiter refused to sell any of us a drink for Greg. Only by walking back to another bar, and then sneaking drink in could anyone treat Greg. We tried, Greg – we tried. But too selfish to miss any of the music, plus the nearest bar was the noisy Northern Nights disco with horrid flashing lights. Just as the paino lid came down I ordered a whole round of shots for the 5 or 6 folks left – that worked and I gave mine to Greg.

Grand Turk day. Swam for the first time in 11 months. Water and airtemp perfect. Pre-trip research said to go for food to a place up the beach called The Barefoot Cabana. Specialty of the house: cracked conch. I had assumed that “cracked” meant meat was gotten out by cracking the big shell, but it turns out that it means someone has pounded (cracked in the local vernacular) the usually very tough meat in order to tenderize it. The tender strips then coated in a very thin batter, loaded with black pepper, and fried perfectly crispy. So good!!! Came with big slices of plantain, also perfectly cooked. A mountain of food – even after swimming I had to leave some. Not a rum punch devotee, so I had Cokes. My, my! CocaCola abroad still made the old fashioned way – less sweet and with a real caffeine kick!. Trouble with the non alcoholic drinks is the sugar of course. My usual Dewars on the rocks much less fattening… ah well, will see what a non-alcoholic mojito is like.

The Captain spotted a pod of whales as we sailed from Turks and Caicos. My first time to see whales outside of an aquarium. So huge – they were quite aways off from the ship but we could still see them slap their fins and spout huge streams of water into the air.

Took my meditation cushion up to the half deck above The Refuge. Made it just in time to see the big orange sun slip below the water horizon. Sat til the first stars came out. Not possible to sit still and perfectly upright because the motion of the ship rocks you and the winds hit you with quite some force.

This evening I went to see the group Recycled Percussion. I gather they were finalists on Americas Got Talent. A feast for the eyes as well as the ears. Everyone entering the auditorium was handed two real drum sticks and a pot lid or other recycled thing-y to bang upon. Such fun! This was the very first time (in what – 5 times on HAL?) that the entertainment was modern and very good – I am not a fan of the dance/musical shows or the rather tame/lame comedians that are the usual onboard fare. Each evening brought a hard choice – the show or the Piano Bar. I would watch 35 minutes of the show and then head off to the Piano Bar. Smart Greg actually took a break after the huge crowd that came each night for his trivia show (by 9pm showtime already not even standing room), which cleared most out so that the regular late gang could get in.

This evening Gregg was riffing on his favorite show-stopper, Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah. He remarked that as the years have passed he has begun to see just how many of the lyrics have to do with sex. I brought the house down by remarking in a not very sotto sotto voice: "sex and war... that's the Old Testament for you”. Thinking back I believe this was also the night where Greg ended up posing on top of the grand piano for the merry widows…

As always, sailing in and out of old San Juan harbor is beautiful. Dinner organized very differently. Because ship doesn’t leave til after 10:30 pm, I guess enough people go out to a club in San Juan to make closing the upper dining room worth it. Instead you go to open seating on the lower level. Was feeling badly that I would not have my usual fun table mates, or maybe even have to sit alone, but I really lucked out. Was put at a table of Canadians. One lady was a huge fan of my favorite mystery writer, Louise Penny. She said that Ms Penny is so popular in Canada that there are tours in Montreal and Quebec City of some of the places where the novels are set – including the famous library.

I stayed onboard since I had nothing scheduled for St Thomas and so had a front row seat for an emergency ship fire drill mustered in the cabana area, while the "fire" was on the 12th half deck, right where I take my cushion at sunset! Fascinating to watch the personnel required for each of the 4 teams. There was even one person, who came instantly, and his job was to direct the rest of the firefighters, engineers, and officers. Someone even set up a water station so that the 16 men in full fire gear could get hydrated. The first officer to arrive had a terrible time seeing his ?clipboard, ?iPad in the bright sun. One team could not commandeer a 5th oxygen bottle. Wonder if they lost points. Hoses were run out but no water was turned on.

Friday it was very hot in my cabana - got a bit overheated and retired to my cabin for room service lunch and reading. (24hr room service for all cabin classes is another reason why I like HAL so much). I tried out the ship's beauty parlor and hairdresser for the very first time so that I could wear my hair down for Formal Night. No miracle accomplished, of course, but it did not curl up, and was smooth and shiny. Bravely wore a sleeveless evening gown for the first time in many decades. Very comfortable dress and I got several compliments. So pleased to see that most HAL guests continue to make an effort for formal nights, and even on regular evenings most dress nicely. Flowey tops or a sequined cotton shirt easy to pack and festive, after all!

Friday night was the roughest weather I have experienced in at least 5 years. The old adage "beware what you ask for" certainly proved true. Last year things were so smooth that I bemoaned the lack of rocking at bedtime. Of course, I have what has to be the most motion prone location on the whole ship! I don't know if it's the nightly Bonine that works so well, or if - in spite of now taking blood pressure medication (ugh!) - I just naturally am not prone to motion sickness, but the wild rocking and vibrations were more of a nuisance than anything else. Moved to the center of the bed so I wouldn't roll off, but couldn't get to sleep for quite awhile. Noisy cupboards, clattering clothes hangers, and the always lingering fear of triggering whatever weird combination of anxiety, high heart rate, or elevated BP leads to severe nosebleeds not conducive to dropping off! Now obvious that nosebleeds do NOT come from shaking my head - in this case the whole body was bouncing about. For hours!

Must not forget to mention how much I enjoyed my retreat cabana. Fresh fruit, ice water, coffee or drinks offered as soon as you arrive, followed by offerings of cold towels if it’s hot, lunch service from either the Lido restaurant or the new Hamburger Grill, so no need to stand in line or balance a plate of food while moving up the line. Then ice cream in the afternoon, chocolate-covered strawberries and champagne late afternoon. That new Grill is a major improvement to the on deck offerings. If the hamburgers are a good as the grilled portabello with smoked gouda and avocado toppings, I can believe there must always be a long line there. Gather they also offer Nathans hotdogs.

Since I stay onboard most days (no need to shop, and beaches no fun without a companion) there is plenty of time to get to know the two cabana servers. Again, all staff trained to be especially attentive to solo travelers. This time my new best friend Sam had a very unusual task – that of getting the meditation cushion to deflate. I am here to tell you that this can never be a one-person job! It took both of us at least ten minutes of struggle to get the thing flat!

Trip day home was a very long one but this year I did get Luggage Direct service and so had nothing to carry but my large Vera Bradly Metropolitan bag through customs, which went quickly, I thought. Alas, getting Luggage Direct means you are tagged for early independent departure – at what seems like the crack of dawn after lazy mornings of inroom breakfasts, served with fresh flowers and real linens on the tray. So civilized! So I had 4 hours to kill in the Ft Lauderdale airport, and then another 4 hour layover in Atlanta. But I bought a day pass to the Delta Sky Lounge and, boy, was that ever worth it. Quiet space with comfortable chairs and work stations, free food and drink, and someone who alerts you if there is a flight delay. Breakfast service even included hot oatmeal and lunch had vegetarian chili. I would have spent far more on two meals and very much enjoyed the quiet airconditioned comfort of the Ft Lauderdale lounge. That terminal, overfull of returning crusiers, is loud, often quite warm, and at least the Southwest terminal only has one restaurant!!!

Some final observations: I have never been one to badmouth dining room food. It amazes me that they do so well, considering how many are fed, and in how short a time period. Just two comments --- deserts are pretty yet often rather tasteless, but the cold soups are always tremendous. Overall selection on the menu was fine. Two of my tablemates needed gluten-free food, and great care was taken by the staff to set up things for each day. Some slip-ups, but I was impressed that the staff never let my friends feel that this service was an imposition or too time-consuming. It also seemed to me that some improvements have been made in the dining room service over the past few years. I have had wonderful dining companions (most years) but a meal that takes over an hour and a half is just too long, no matter how good the company. Much better this year.

Solo travel has its pluses and minuses, but generally I would encourage everyone worried about it to just go and enjoy. My chief “secret” is to not spend $$ on a veranda cabin. Many interior and sea view cabins are much, much larger. Plus, regular verandas do not have a comfortable lounge chair, nor is the table one to breakfast off of. I use $$ saved to purchase a cabana, where I am supremely comfortable, safely out of the sun, and secure that someone would probably notice my absence. Real dining set-up, too, and right by the Crows Nest, Library, and Coffee Bar.

Very interesting report! I think I recognize your handle...didn't we meet at the CC roll call on the Eurodam 2013? I'm a bit shaky on the date as the last 3 cruises have been on the Eurodam...lol but it was the one that Stan Kuppens regaled us with stories.

If so glad to hear you are cruising again! ;)

Edited by sammygoose
change dates

msteries,

I luv your your review! Very refreshing! A very good read and a lot of good information re:solo travel.

I will be taking my first solo cruise very soon.

This is the first positive review I have read in a very long time. Too many reviews are negative and are a big turnoff to read. JMO Thank you for sharing! :D

Very interesting report! I think I recognize your handle...didn't we meet at the CC roll call on the Eurodam 2013? I'm a bit shaky on the date as the last 3 cruises have been on the Eurodam...lol but it was the one that Stan Kuppens regaled us with stories.

If so glad to hear you are cruising again! ;)

Probably was - have gone solo on the Eurodam 4 years in a row now.

You know, I too have been turned off by so much negativity. Still, I generally find CC board members so very helpful. Questions usually answered in detail and with civility.

I think your attitude means a lot as you travel. Of course things go awry on any trip and it is important that board members alert us to real problems. But as for me, cruising once a year is a beloved luxury and great trips are a mixture of beloved things revisited AND new experiences with a chance to show a little bravery and enthusiasm.

I note that I forgot to mention my last night tradition of dinner at the Tamarind, begun many years ago when the last night in the dining room was full of staff songs, and very long dinners. Hard to go out later for one last time or have the energy for final packing. I love spicey food, and the food in the Tamarind has always been exceptional. Quiet with lovely service, and a chance to eat at 7. Alas, the vibrations there are somewhat disconcerting. I have sailed on three different lines, and four ships and have never felt vibrations so strong. Problem in several places on the Eurodam, including some cabins. (See - I'm not a total Polyanna!)

Mary

Loved your review! We were on the Feb 15th sailing and enjoyed Greg just as much! He had such a huge following that a few nights he had to be moved up to the Crow's Nest to accommodate the crowds! He was wonderful!!! Also loved Recycled Percussion! Food was delicious! We had a great week!

Loved your review! We were on the Feb 15th sailing and enjoyed Greg just as much! He had such a huge following that a few nights he had to be moved up to the Crow's Nest to accommodate the crowds! He was wonderful!!! Also loved Recycled Percussion! Food was delicious! We had a great week!

I would have loved getting to see and hear Greg in the Crows Nest, which is one of my favorite places on the ship. Isn't there a bit of a dance floor there? I am sure several of the regulars would have boogied once in awhile.

What a wonderful review!!!!

Thankyou for taking the time to write.

I believe that you need to venture into new territories and get out of your comfort zones in all aspects of life!

I am so glad you had a great cruise.

Until you solo once you never know in cruising.

Happy sailings in the future.