Alaska 2016...

Working 2 Cruise

Considering how quickly Princess' only Vancouver RT itinerary sold out this year, I'm surprised they only upped the number to three in 2016 and all in May-only.

But I am glad they did increase them at all! I think I know what our 2016 cruise will be. :)

How is it a given that there will be seven ships in Alaska each year? In roughly the past decade 2013 was the only year that there were seven "full-size" ships--usually the seventh was Pacific Princess on the connoisseur itineraries; her doing the standard Voyage of the Glaciers this summer looks to be a one-off. With the higher demand for the round-trip Seattle over the open jaw Vancouver-Whitter (due to the lower airfare and passports not mandatory) and the newly-expanded Island back from a one-year sabbatical in Europe, Princess may not want the excess capacity of two Grand-class ships on the Voyage of the Glaciers.

here you go....

THANK YOU!!!!!

Now I can sit down with my wife and check out the connoisseur cruisetours with the land portion first and the cruse heading southward. We've talked about doing this for quite some time but it looks like we really should be able to do it in 2016. This makes it so much more "real" even if it is a year away.

Thanks again. I've been checking Princess impatiently for these to get posted. This way I can get a bit of a head start.

I see you like keeping secrets...any chance you're willing to disclose what the seventh ship is?
The schedule only shows 6 ships in Alaska for the 2016 season. Princess had as many as 8 ships in Alaska in the mid to late 2000s. The cruise industry had a dispute with Alaska about the Alaska Head Tax resulting in a lawsuit in 2010. After the settlement, I thought that Princess had agreed to have seven ships in Alaska. Princess had maintained the seven ships, even if one was the smaller Pacific. Times have changed with the move of the Diamond and Sapphire full time to Asia and in 2016 it appears that only 6 ships will be in Alaska.

Was wondering the same thing.

First Princess announces Golden would be transferred to Australia effective Summer-down-under 2015/16.

A few months later they trumpet the fact that Golden will be sailing Princess' first eastbound trans-Pacific in several years April 2016. It would be some serious egg on their face if Princess cancels this to keep Golden in Asia for the summer.

(Or will Golden just turn around and head back on a westbound trans-Pacific? Further guessing now complicated by Emerald Princess heading for Australia after Summer 2016 in Europe...)

I'm also interested in this either from Tokyo , Beijing or Hong Kong.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Princess committed some time ago to have 7 ships in Alaska. So for 2016 are the ships the Grand, Golden, Star, Crown, Ruby, Island and Coral?

OK, so we have Grand, Star, Crown, Ruby, Island and Coral.

Europe has Royal, Regal, Pacific, Emerald, CB.

Ocean will be gone with the wind. Sea and Dawn are on sale already.

So we have Golden, Sun and Diamond that we don't know what they're doing, and we have fairly educated guesses about what the last two will be doing.

Just wondering if someone can clarify: looking at the Star Princess out of Vancouver on Saturday 14th May 2016 - the schedules (which were very kindly attached earlier) says there is a stop at Sitka but no Skagway. I have not noticed this on any other itinerary. Do you this think this is a 'typo' or in fact it could be correct - just curious. Hubby and I don't mind either way - but this cruise is looking like it's a great fit for us. Anyone have any thoughts on this and also whether the Star would a good ship for Alaska or should we be thinking a smaller ship, Coral or Island? Thanks, Vicki :-)

Busy Mum that is the cruise we are also looking at. Would like to know the same answers to the questions you asked. I did read somewhere but not sure where, someone said you should try and do a cruise with a stop in Sitka. I don't know too much about that port so I guess I should look into. Hopefully more will respond to this!! We already had something we wanted to do in Skagway:confused:

Kind of odd. I didn't think Princess went to Sitka. I did a quick search of the document and that is the only instance of the word Sitka in the entire thing. I too have heard that it's good to go to Sitka but don't have any specifics as to why nor as to why it is that Princess doesn't normally go there. I'm sure somebody here on CC knows the answers but who knows if they will see this query...

We are now looking at the 13 day or 14 day connoisseur cruisetours. While we are definitely looking to tour first then take the southbound cruise I can't help but wonder why the northbound cruise does College Fjord and the southbound does Hubbard Glacier.

Does anybody know why they do different things depending on direction?

Just wondering if someone can clarify: looking at the Star Princess out of Vancouver on Saturday 14th May 2016 - the schedules (which were very kindly attached earlier) says there is a stop at Sitka but no Skagway. I have not noticed this on any other itinerary. Do you this think this is a 'typo' or in fact it could be correct - just curious. Hubby and I don't mind either way - but this cruise is looking like it's a great fit for us. Anyone have any thoughts on this and also whether the Star would a good ship for Alaska or should we be thinking a smaller ship, Coral or Island? Thanks, Vicki :-)

Sitka is a great port to visit. Very small and most attractions are within walking distance. The only draw back is that it easily get cancelled due to weather.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

We are now looking at the 13 day or 14 day connoisseur cruisetours. While we are definitely looking to tour first then take the southbound cruise I can't help but wonder why the northbound cruise does College Fjord and the southbound does Hubbard Glacier.

Does anybody know why they do different things depending on direction?

It's a matter of timing. You need to be there in the daylight and you are either coming from or going to Glacier Bay. Can't make it from Hubbard Glacier to Whittier in time or from College Fjord to Glacier Bay in time.