Retreat cabanas

maryland

Thinking of reserving a Retreat cabana on the Eurodam. How many people are allowed per cabana? There will be three adults - hate to spend the extra money for a family one since there are only 3 of us. Thanks

The regular Retreat Cabanas are intended for two, but three adults fit fine. We've done it many times and the attendants have no problem with the extra person. I can't recommend the cabanas enough. They are great for relaxing!

Thinking of reserving a Retreat cabana on the Eurodam. How many people are allowed per cabana? There will be three adults - hate to spend the extra money for a family one since there are only 3 of us. Thanks

It's two adults, but you can have visitors. It really depends on your situation. If you have 2 people - most of the time - I would think you'd be fine.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm still torn - can't seem to justify in my mind the cost differential ($299 vs. $449) for that one extra person. Any input on which specific cabana? I know there are only 2 family ones - is one better than the other? Also, which "regular" cabanas are better as far as breeze, location, size, etc. I tried finding a layout of the Retreat on the Eurodam but could only find one for the Noordam which I know is different. Thanks again :-)

Also, I'm cruising in my own cabin w/ my sister and brother-in-law in their own cabin. I would be making the booking as a surprise treat for all of us. I don't know if this makes a difference with HAL and how they keep track of number of people in the Retreat. They would be my "guests"!

Also, I'm cruising in my own cabin w/ my sister and brother-in-law in their own cabin. I would be making the booking as a surprise treat for all of us. I don't know if this makes a difference with HAL and how they keep track of number of people in the Retreat. They would be my "guests"!

I'm in the same position as you- travelling in my own cabin and with my Sister and BIL. I booked the Family Cabana as a treat for us. Booked it last week and yesterday I checked and saw that our cabin price had dropped. I had it refared and saved $437 - almost the cost of the cabana. I now see it as a free cabana:D

CJ

We book the regular size cabanas and often travel with 3 people. Since we don't spend all of our time in the cabana, there was no problem with 3 of us using it. We did not get 'extra' chocolate covered strawberries etc., just shared what we were given.

There are 2 loungers and 2 chairs, so enough room for everyone to sit for a while.

I don't think you have to book the family cabana.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm still torn - can't seem to justify in my mind the cost differential ($299 vs. $449) for that one extra person. Any input on which specific cabana? I know there are only 2 family ones - is one better than the other? Also, which "regular" cabanas are better as far as breeze, location, size, etc. I tried finding a layout of the Retreat on the Eurodam but could only find one for the Noordam which I know is different. Thanks again :-)

If you are travelling on a tight budget (which I don't recommend) and that extra $150.00 means that much, then book a regular size cabana. You will get two loungers and a table with two chairs. I would recommend one that faces the pool below for the best breeze. If you do go with a family cabana you'll get four loungers (which also can be converted into two big loungers) a table with four chairs, and more room two walk around. Both family cabanas are on the ends so you get a much better view, too.

We book the regular size cabanas and often travel with 3 people. Since we don't spend all of our time in the cabana, there was no problem with 3 of us using it. We did not get 'extra' chocolate covered strawberries etc., just shared what we were given.

There are 2 loungers and 2 chairs, so enough room for everyone to sit for a while.

I don't think you have to book the family cabana.

I guess it depends on your comfort level. We book a family cabana for just the two of us as the regular size seems to small, too cubical.

If you are travelling on a tight budget (which I don't recommend) and that extra $150.00 means that much, then book a regular size cabana. You will get two loungers and a table with two chairs. I would recommend one that faces the pool below for the best breeze. If you do go with a family cabana you'll get four loungers (which also can be converted into two big loungers) a table with four chairs, and more room two walk around. Both family cabanas are on the ends so you get a much better view, too.

I guess it depends on your comfort level. We book a family cabana for just the two of us as the regular size seems to small, too cubical.

**maxxboy** or anyone else who's had a family cabana - do you prefer port or starboard side for the family cabana or does it even make a difference? How is the air circulation in these corner cabanas? Thanks

Edited by maryland
addition

The regular Retreat Cabanas are intended for two, but three adults fit fine. We've done it many times and the attendants have no problem with the extra person. I can't recommend the cabanas enough. They are great for relaxing!

Just an observation from one of our cruises -- There were three people in one of the cabanas for the first couple of days. The attendants seemed to have no problem with it. HOWEVER, one of the other passengers in another cabana complained because they had been told the cabanas were limited to two people and that is why they reserved the family cabana for their party of three. After much discussion between the attendants, their supervisor and the occupants of the cabana, the three people took turns using it, only TWO at any one time.

I don't know if the people complained because of the noisy chat and loud laughter that was coming from the cabana, but I will say the other occupied cabanas were much quieter.

Just google "Eurodam retreat cabana image" and you'll find a number of photos.

Just an observation from one of our cruises -- There were three people in one of the cabanas for the first couple of days. The attendants seemed to have no problem with it. HOWEVER, one of the other passengers in another cabana complained because they had been told the cabanas were limited to two people and that is why they reserved the family cabana for their party of three. After much discussion between the attendants, their supervisor and the occupants of the cabana, the three people took turns using it, only TWO at any one time.

I don't know if the people complained because of the noisy chat and loud laughter that was coming from the cabana, but I will say the other occupied cabanas were much quieter.

I think the other issue with 3 to a regular cabana is that there is only a finite amount of space and loungers in the central area. If all the 2 person cabanas were to do this this there could be a lack of space in the middle.

Are these Cabanas all on the level with the Lido Pool or are they on the deck with the sliding roof over the pool? seems they would block a lot of room off from the existing lounge chairs. We have never been on a ship with the private Cabanas.................wondering it it limits the amount of lounge chairs beside the Lido and the Aft pools?

On Eurodam and N. Amsterdam there are Lido Cabanas which on in the pool area, and Retreat Cabanas, which are one deck above the closable roof on the Lido pool.

As discussed on the many threads on cabanas, the Lido cabanas do take space from "public" use near the pool. This is a hot topic to some people. In our opinion, the Lido cabanas are like being in a cage at a zoo, with everyone walking by and looking in. Airflow can be a problem. The Lido cabanas have a round "bed" or large lounge, not particularly easy for two to share.

Noordam, and it's Vista class sisters when they get cabanas, will not have Lido cabanas, only Retreat cabanas.

Edited by CruiserBruce

On Eurodam and N. Amsterdam there are Lido Cabanas which on in the pool area, and Retreat Cabanas, which are one deck above the closable roof on the Lido pool.

As discussed on the many threads on cabanas, the Lido cabanas do take space from "public" use near the pool. This is a hot topic to some people. In our opinion, the Lido cabanas are like being in a cage at a zoo, with everyone walking by and looking in. Airflow can be a problem. The Lido cabanas have a round "bed" or large lounge, not particularly easy for two to share.

Noordam, and it's Vista class sisters when they get cabanas, will not have Lido cabanas, only Retreat cabanas.

Thank you for the prompt reply- yes, I have see the posts and agree it is a hot topic! we favor the Aft pool area, so I guess not an issue, just wondered. in our past 4 cruises, I don't believe we have ever found a chair in the LIdo area or been in the Lido pool...........:rolleyes:

I think the other issue with 3 to a regular cabana is that there is only a finite amount of space and loungers in the central area. If all the 2 person cabanas were to do this this there could be a lack of space in the middle.

I agree that this is another issue about having more people in a cabana that is specified. With fourteen cabanas, the "regular" amount of people would be approximately 32, if all were filled (2 in each individual cabana and 4 in the two family cabanas. If an additional 14 people were added (1 additional in each cabana), that would make almost 50 people using a small reserved area. It's true that not everyone would have three people in their cabana, but it might make for some unhappy cabana neighbors.

I agree that this is another issue about having more people in a cabana that is specified. With fourteen cabanas, the "regular" amount of people would be approximately 32, if all were filled (2 in each individual cabana and 4 in the two family cabanas. If an additional 14 people were added (1 additional in each cabana), that would make almost 50 people using a small reserved area. It's true that not everyone would have three people in their cabana, but it might make for some unhappy cabana neighbors.

It could even be more than that, because, if I'm not mistaken the regular cabanas can have up to 2 adults and 2 children. Not sure where I got this little tidbit of information. Can't find anything right now. I think the Lido cabanas hole the same number of people.