AZAMARA REDEPLOYMENT: ~JOURNEY June-Aug 2016

BBMacLaird

In response to fast-growing popularity of Western Mediterranean destinations, we have revised seven Azamara Journey voyages planned for the summer of 2016.

New itineraries feature Rome, Tuscany, Italy’s beautiful Amalfi Coast, Dubrovnik and Kotor on the Adriatic Sea, popular Greek Isles and more.

For those of you with reservations on these seven 2016 voyages, communications are being sent to your travel partners this week. Any direct guests bookings will be contacted by Azamara directly.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Our itinerary planners have created new and amazing options that we hope you will find interesting.

Looks as if the only two cruises not affected are the two on our B2B on the 23rd June and 3rd July! Wonder if this will change?

I hope not. We're on the July 3 Venice/Croatia/Venice. Looking forward to that itinerary and already booked our favorite hotel in Venice.

I hope not. We're on the July 3 Venice/Croatia/Venice. Looking forward to that itinerary and already booked our favorite hotel in Venice.

I'd hazard a guess you will be ok. It seems to be the Turkey/Greek Isles heavy itineraries that are being changed, probably because they aren't selling. Love those Venice/Dalmatian Coast itineraries. Not enough of them thus far in my view.

Phil

We are booked on the July 16th sailing which was originally from Istanbul visiting Turkey and Greece. It's now Italy and Greece with no new ports for us. Having not yet been to Turkey, the primary reason we booked this was the three ports there with add on days in Istanbul. There is no similar itinerary until June 2017.

We booked on the "inside free upgrade to veranda" offer. Hopefully Azamara will honor that on the 2017 sailing.

After our July sailing, we'll have 55 days on AZ, and this is the first time there has been a change with this type of impact to our plans. I guess I've been lucky, and am looking forward to our British Open trip and this may open the door for a land visit to Cuba in 2016!

Just saw the revised itinerary for our June 16, 2016 cruise. No new ports for us, but all places we are excited to revisit! Plus, our original cruise had no sea days and the new one has an additional sea day. All-in-all great job by Azamara. Looking forward to seeing Amalfi again!

Michael

I'd hazard a guess you will be ok. It seems to be the Turkey/Greek Isles heavy itineraries that are being changed, probably because they aren't selling. Love those Venice/Dalmatian Coast itineraries. Not enough of them thus far in my view.

Phil

Looks like the left the July 3 Venice Dalmatian Coast itinerary alone. Not too many of the bigger cruise lines do that itinerary. That's great news as we haven't done them before and have done the western med ports multiple times. The Dalmatian ports look great, but Durres/Tirana Albania seems like the weak link here as far as ports go.

I was quite surprised to read about this. In 2013 we did a wonderful cruise starting in Istanbul with ports in Turkey & then Greece. We preceded this with 3 nights in Istanbul and booked our own flights. If the itinerary of our cruise had changed to exclude Istanbul & Turkey we would have wanted to cancel. Would Azamara have refunded any costs? At least these are for Summer 2016 when I assume it's too early to book flights.

We are currently booked on a December cruise Hong Kong to Singapore visiting Vietnam & will soon be looking at flights & hotels in Hong Kong & Singapore. I'm now quite wary in case of itinerary changes. Should I be or are 2015 itineraries safe (bar unforeseen issues)?

I was quite surprised to read about this. In 2013 we did a wonderful cruise starting in Istanbul with ports in Turkey & then Greece. We preceded this with 3 nights in Istanbul and booked our own flights. If the itinerary of our cruise had changed to exclude Istanbul & Turkey we would have wanted to cancel. Would Azamara have refunded any costs? At least these are for Summer 2016 when I assume it's too early to book flights.

We are currently booked on a December cruise Hong Kong to Singapore visiting Vietnam & will soon be looking at flights & hotels in Hong Kong & Singapore. I'm now quite wary in case of itinerary changes. Should I be or are 2015 itineraries safe (bar unforeseen issues)?

Yes, the 2015 itineraries are SAFE (barring any unforeseen issues, as you say.) They are well-booked and at this point will not be altered.

I'm booked on the August 29, 2016 Azamara Journey, 11 NIGHT EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE, departing from Istanbul, Turkey. I have not heard from my TA yet. Their web site still shows the original itinerary, as does the Azamara web site. Where are these new itineraries posted?

I'm booked on the August 29, 2016 Azamara Journey, 11 NIGHT EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE, departing from Istanbul, Turkey. I have not heard from my TA yet. Their web site still shows the original itinerary, as does the Azamara web site. Where are these new itineraries posted?

The affected itineraries have already been updated online, so looks like yours wasn't changed.

Michael

The affected itineraries have already been updated online, so looks like yours wasn't changed.

Michael

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear my cruise is still sailing from Istanbul to the Greek islands, Montenegro, Croatia, and Venice. I had no idea so many people are avoiding the Eastern Med cruises. I guess our port stops will be less crowded. I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Mercruiser

I find this ironic...after a few years away from Azamara we finally booked the August 9, 2016 cruise as it had the perfect itinerary for my husband and I - visiting several places that we have not had the pleasure of visiting...the cruise originally ended in Turkey and we were working with a travel company to visit Pamukkale and Cappadocia for the following week.

The new itinerary is simply boring to us and contains only 2 new ports with several old worn out ports (Mykonos, Santorini) ok - worn out to us as they seem to be on every cruise lines itineraries and we've been to these numerous times. I'm sure Azamara had their reasons and I won't begin to guess what they are...and they are doing what's best for the cruise line - but we are very disappointed and will once again have to say goodbye Azamara for 2016. The prices for their cruises have just gotten too high to take a voyage that offers nothing new and exciting.

My husband and I cruise for the ports of call and after all these years we are looking for ships that cruise to new and unique places...Visiting Fethiye, Marmaris, Cesme, Kas etc...is exiting to us. If I want to visit Santorini, Mykonos etc...we could cruise Carnival and pay 75% lower prices...

Hopefully Azamara won't make changes to the 2017 itineraries we are looking at - they have a couple of good ones!!

I find this ironic...after a few years away from Azamara we finally booked the August 9, 2016 cruise as it had the perfect itinerary for my husband and I - visiting several places that we have not had the pleasure of visiting...the cruise originally ended in Turkey and we were working with a travel company to visit Pamukkale and Cappadocia for the following week.

The new itinerary is simply boring to us and contains only 2 new ports with several old worn out ports (Mykonos, Santorini) ok - worn out to us as they seem to be on every cruise lines itineraries and we've been to these numerous times. I'm sure Azamara had their reasons and I won't begin to guess what they are...and they are doing what's best for the cruise line - but we are very disappointed and will once again have to say goodbye Azamara for 2016. The prices for their cruises have just gotten too high to take a voyage that offers nothing new and exciting.

My husband and I cruise for the ports of call and after all these years we are looking for ships that cruise to new and unique places...Visiting Fethiye, Marmaris, Cesme, Kas etc...is exiting to us. If I want to visit Santorini, Mykonos etc...we could cruise Carnival and pay 75% lower prices...

Hopefully Azamara won't make changes to the 2017 itineraries we are looking at - they have a couple of good ones!!

Sorry that you're disappointed, but remember that if you just have to see specific places, it's best for you to do a land trip. World politics are changing quickly and a lot of people are leery of Turkey and the Eastern Med - we don't really understand why, as we are perfectly comfortable traveling there. But a lot of our cruise friends won't go now and apparently Azamara was feeling it by a lack of bookings. Our itinerary was changed as well, and even though we have been to these "new" ports many times, we just feel extremely blessed to be able to have the health and money to do this trip. We can always find interesting things to do in oft-visited ports and are happy with whatever itinerary Azamara offers us.

If you are looking for more unusual ports, I highly recommend checking out Seabourn's itineraries. They go to some really unusual places (including many of the ones you mentioned). I am constantly scouring their itineraries and am really impressed by their unique options. I have been on at least 10 Mediterranean cruises and most of their offerings are places even I haven't been. The only reason we haven't booked is because we prefer country club casual dress to the more formal of Seabourn.

Michael

If you are looking for more unusual ports, I highly recommend checking out Seabourn's itineraries. They go to some really unusual places (including many of the ones you mentioned). I am constantly scouring their itineraries and am really impressed by their unique options. I have been on at least 10 Mediterranean cruises and most of their offerings are places even I haven't been. The only reason we haven't booked is because we prefer country club casual dress to the more formal of Seabourn.

Michael

That and their liberal smoking policy (including balconies).

Sorry that you're disappointed, but remember that if you just have to see specific places, it's best for you to do a land trip. World politics are changing quickly and a lot of people are leery of Turkey and the Eastern Med - we don't really understand why, as we are perfectly comfortable traveling there. But a lot of our cruise friends won't go now and apparently Azamara was feeling it by a lack of bookings. Our itinerary was changed as well, and even though we have been to these "new" ports many times, we just feel extremely blessed to be able to have the health and money to do this trip. We can always find interesting things to do in oft-visited ports and are happy with whatever itinerary Azamara offers us.

Michael

Fyi

Their dress policy has been modified to resort casual. On formal optional nights only one restaurant requires men to wear jackets (no tie). It's resort casual in every other venue

I just stumbled across this thread. We are (were) booked on a July 2016 11 day Greek Islands cruise ending in Istanbul where we were hoping to spend a few days post cruise. This was to be our first Azamara cruise.

The replacement itinerary has 1 port we have not previously been to and while they are great places, we were looking forward to new adventures. We will wait for the info to work its way to us as to what our options are. The replacement itinerary will not keep us booked with Azamara so we need to know what our options are. Looking at future sailings, there is nothing similar, even in 2017.

I get the changing political scene and that Azamara has a business to run (and wants to keep everyone safe). But it appears we may be back to the drawing board to find our 2016 adventure....

Jerry

Michael

Thanks Michael, I will take a look at Seabourn...I have explored their expedition cruises a bit but not the Europe ones.

My husband and I have taken two land based trips in the past two years and have another two coming up this summer/fall... while we have a great time - we miss the convenience of unpacking and cruising for days at a time...we are ready to get back on a ship! Azamara is our favorite cruise line but itinerary is key. Our photography "bucket list" is large so I want the biggest bang for my buck when it comes to travel - I don't need to revisit places we've already explored! Hopefully 2017 works out!!

Thanks again for the suggestion - I really appreciate it!

The truth is that if totally dependent on sensational news and newspapers, much of Europe and Eastern Med. seems dangerous to those who react to headlines and feel that danger is directed to them as individuals, whereas the truth is completely the opposite. This unnecessary fear translates into cancelled bookings and revised itineraries, which we are now seeing and being wrapped as "passenger demand" changes. Those who live in the "dangeroous areas" are pragmatic in their view of the world and continue to travel and broaden their horizons, with a sensible and calculated view of where any threat may come from, and to whom it may be directed. The world is not really a dangerous place, unless viewed from a scared place in which extremists have won!!

Already canceling cruises for August. I booked for Black Sea .. Even with changes I would be happy. Booked for turkey. Now I would fly to Venice and some ports would be three times in three cruises. No,thank you. Already emailed emailed TA to cancel number one. Will sleep on the others. On ship now. Jesse did not even know

My patience with Azamara is wearing thin. Over the past month, the itinerary for my 2016 cruise has been entirely changed 3 times! I was originally booked on the Journey's 12-Night Black Sea Voyage, then it was changed to their 12-Night Aegean Sea Voyage (an Eastern Mediterranean voyage), then it was changed to their 12-Night Mediterranean Jewels Voyage, a Western Mediterranean voyage with all new departure/arrival ports.

I now go onto their web site today, and my most recent itinerary is no longer listed! (It was there last week.) I have the sinking feeling that everything's being changed again!

This is no way to run a customer centered business!