More Tampa Fog

sue1898

Foggy this morning and again this afternoon. Just learned Royal Carribean can't dock because they can't safely travel under the Skyway bridge:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-tampa/sea-fog-keep-royal-caribbean-ship-brilliance-of-the-seas-from-docking

Wow, I would have thought they had GPS guidance that would have put them right through there.

The issue is the ship is a 4-5 hr sail to port, so even if it lifts at the port they are a ways away. And the other way around, the ship might be in clear skies but the port is fogged in. A bad deal for those onboard and those who were supposed to have cruised this week.

News just reported that they do not expect the sea fog to lift so the port can open until PERHAPS mid afternoon. There is a large group of Ohio State alumni on board along with coach Urban Meyer.

Yes, our national championship coach is on board, the Buckeye cruise for Cancer raising money for breast cancer.

This morning's paper predicted that the heavy fog would continue into Thursday. I don't believe that I have ever seen fog this bad here. A local radio station warned motorists who take the Veterans's Expressway, to avoid it. A 15-minute trip would take over an hour. Oh, well, better than six feet of snow and nowhere to put it. Still, I feel for the RCL passengers scheduled for the aborted cruise. I wouldn't have minded going aboard and just staying in port!

Brilliance of the Seas in still in Tampa port.

Guess it will be sitting there empty for what, 3 days or so. Interesting.....

Speculation is that it will be moved to an unused cargo slip where mooring fees are lower. PAX had until 10AM to clear out so if it moves it would likely be this afternoon.

Roy

<snip>

Oh, well, better than six feet of snow and nowhere to put it. Still, I feel for the RCL passengers scheduled for the aborted cruise. I wouldn't have minded going aboard and just staying in port!

You're right.... I'd trade your fog for our OVER 8' of snow, so far. :D .... and no place to put it. :eek:

My snow plow guy was back here this morning. I'm almost to the point of having an omelet ready for him each morning.

I feel awful for people missing their cruise but from time to time, conditions force such cancellations. Disappointing, for sure.

Hope one of you will keep this thread alive and let us know when the cruise port gets back to normal.

Stay safe.

Edited by sail7seas

Fog came back this evening. I live in St Petersburg and can usualy see the Skyway bridge from where we are. NOT TONIGHT it is thick. It is supposed to clear tomorrow afternoon when the winds shift.

I agree I would rather have fog that blows away that 8ft of snow like Sail is experiencing.

Speculation is that it will be moved to an unused cargo slip where mooring fees are lower. PAX had until 10AM to clear out so if it moves it would likely be this afternoon.

Roy

Brilliance still sitting in same berth at 8pm pacific time, maybe no place for them to go.