Black and White Ball

boards

Definately not on every cruise. It seems to be more common on the longer cruises (10+ days).

The dining rooms are decorated in a black and white theme with streamers, balloons, table decorations, etc. Theball is held in the evening after dinner and the Officers attend the ball. Ladies can ask one of the Officers to dance and/or the Officers will come around and ask paxs to dance with them. Hope this helps.

Have enjoyed one Black and White Ball on a 15 day circle Caribbean cruise on the now-retired Noordam. The officers asked the pax to dance, or pax could ask the officers. There were prizes given out during the evening.

I danced with the HM and at the end of the dance he told me that whoever danced that dance with him was the prize winner for that dance. I received a certificate for a bottle of champagne and a poster from the Art Auction folks. Enjoyed the chance to chat with him during the dance. He was a pretty good dancer, too.

I've been on 3 cruises, never been to a black and white ball. I understand they are usually held on longer cruises, after dinner on a formal night.

:) We've been on about 45+ HAL cruises and have only had about 5 or 6 Black and White Balls. They're fun and the pax really enjoy them. As stated, they are held on the longer cruises. I think we've had one or two on ten days cruises but that is rare.....there may have been a special reason such as maybe Valentine's Week or such??? ( I really don't remember.)

It is always a formal night and the dining room is usually decorated with black and white balloons and streamers and such. Very festive.

We had a Black and White Ball on the Prinsendam in June/04 during a 14 day Mediterranean cruise. It was our 3rd formal night and was advertised a couple of days in advance. The theatre was decorated with black and white balloons and streamers and most of the officers were there, all decked out in their white uniforms. Some of the female officers were beautifully attired in black or black and white gowns and my DH had the pleasure of dancing with a few of them while I enjoyed dancing with the captain, the HM, the cruise director, and the chef from the Pinnacle. While we weren't among the passengers who won prizes, we certainly enjoyed the company of the officers onboard. Unfortunately we forgot our camera that evening ... that won't happen again!;)

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

That is true......

I ALWAYS make sure I have a black dress with us on a cruise that I think there 'might' be a Black and White Ball. No problem doing that as I can't imagine leaving home without at least one black dress. :)

We had a Black and White Ball on the Prinsendam in June/04 during a 14 day Mediterranean cruise. It was our 3rd formal night and was advertised a couple of days in advance. The theatre was decorated with black and white balloons and streamers and most of the officers were there, all decked out in their white uniforms. Some of the female officers were beautifully attired in black or black and white gowns and my DH had the pleasure of dancing with a few of them while I enjoyed dancing with the captain, the HM, the cruise director, and the chef from the Pinnacle. While we weren't among the passengers who won prizes, we certainly enjoyed the company of the officers onboard. Unfortunately we forgot our camera that evening ... that won't happen again!;)

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

That's a bit unusual --- (lady officers in gowns) as the lady Officers seem to always wear long black skirts with their formal startched white jackets. Some Captains request the ladies wear a bow tie....others let them wear a lacy white camisole or such if they prefer.

They always look so stunning IMO in their spotless, starched formal uniforms and their big smiles.

Our cruise this month will be 17 days, hubby even bought a black tux. I hope they have one! Do they tell you beforehand so you can dress appropriately (not all my formal wear is black this time).

TIA

:) We've been on about 45+ HAL cruises and have only had about 5 or 6 Black and White Balls. They're fun and the pax really enjoy them. As stated, they are held on the longer cruises. I think we've had one or two on ten days cruises but that is rare.....there may have been a special reason such as maybe Valentine's Week or such??? ( I really don't remember.)

It is always a formal night and the dining room is usually decorated with black and white balloons and streamers and such. Very festive.

If 'beforehand' you mean before you leave home, the answer is No.

You will know 'beforehand' on the ship if they will be running one. It will be in the Daily Program.

For a 17 day cruise, I think it possible you may have one and (personally), I would be bringing at least one black dress/formal outfit to wear on at least one of the four formal nights you will be having. Just my personal preference, of course.

And the last couple of years the women wore other colors than black and white.

Another twist on the dress code issue. :rolleyes: If truth be told there have been times I've worn other than black/white. In my defense I'll say that I had already worn the appropriate clothes one too many times; but I was in formal, of course.

Last year the Black & White Ball was held in the Rotterdam's Crow's Nest; it was beautifully decorated. Most everyone was dressed to kill, but someones' parents let their boys attend as if they had just come from the playground. :eek:

On our 15 day Circle Hawaii cruise in 2003 there was no black and white ball. If I remember correctly, the dining room was decorated in black and white on one formal evening. But then, I guess they use the white chair covers and other white decorations on at least one formal night anyway. Someone correct me if I am wrong. That cruise was in March and we had some nice St. Patrick's Day decorations in the dining room one evening.

On our Noordam cruise we had several festive evenings in the dining room with some very colorful and elaborate decorations. Haven't seen as much decorating on other HAL cruises since.

On our last three cruises with HAL we have had a Black and White Ball. The first two cruises were in Europe. One was 14 days (Noordam) and the other was 13 days (Prinsendam).

This year on the Maasdam, a 17 day cruise from Boston to Rotterdam, we again had a Black and White Ball. I always wear a long black skirt with a coloured top.

The officers always look stunning. The female officers were in their dress uniform. It is a fun night with prizes for dancing with a certain officer.

Jennie

I meant beforehand once we are on the ship.

I have two black formal gowns that I'm bringing for this cruise, so I'll be fine as long as I know ahead of time when to wear one or the other for the ball. The other two gowns I have aren't black but pastel.

My two "black" gowns are not totally black. One has a diagonal row of flowers from one shoulder to the hem; the other a chiffon panel down the front with small flowers embroidered down either side of the panel. I assume that is still appropriate for "black and white."

If 'beforehand' you mean before you leave home, the answer is No.

You will know 'beforehand' on the ship if they will be running one. It will be in the Daily Program.

For a 17 day cruise, I think it possible you may have one and (personally), I would be bringing at least one black dress/formal outfit to wear on at least one of the four formal nights you will be having. Just my personal preference, of course.

Archived