Chair hog solution?

KCMiller

I'm glad you've never had troubles with hoggers, but I do move things to be near my kids in the pool. That is my responsibility and I take it seriously. I can't let a flip flop in a "saved" chair keep me from watching my kids. I AM passionate about them and their safety, as well as the comfort of other cruisers around my children. :)

For me, personally, I wish the lines would do a better job of policing hoggers for this very reason. Parents shouldn't have to wander around to find a chair when there's 27 around the pool with magazines in them or a back flipped up.

So just because you have kids you feel entitled to a chair over everyone else? Why don't you take your kids to the pool when there are chairs available, or better yet, get into the pool with them?

I rarely even use the pool, and when I do, I sit where I find a seat. That's how it is, and that's how it should be for everybody. The world doesn't revolve around you just because your kids are with you.

So just because you have kids you feel entitled to a chair over everyone else? Why don't you take your kids to the pool when there are chairs available, or better yet, get into the pool with them?

I rarely even use the pool, and when I do, I sit where I find a seat. That's how it is, and that's how it should be for everybody. The world doesn't revolve around you just because your kids are with you.

I would think she is more entitled to the chair than a flip flop is :rolleyes:.

Yep. I feel "entitled" to the saved seats because my kids are with me and because no one is using them. The world doesn't revolve around people sleeping in their cabins thinking "their" chairs are just waiting in the sun for them. Doesn't work that way.

I sit where I find a seat, too. There's always tons of them with people's crap on them right by the pool while they're off playing bingo, or eating, or sleeping, or walking around the ship. And no, the world doesn't revolve around me or my kids. But, the rules do when I'm following them.

Move your junk out of the empty seat, or I will hand it to an employee and have a seat. When we choose to leave, we will remove our things, even if we're just going to eat because that seat could be used by another paying passenger and it's the right thing to do. The end.

Edited by Kristi Williamson

Yep. I feel "entitled" to the saved seats because my kids are with me and because no one is using them. The world doesn't revolve around people sleeping in their cabins thinking "their" chairs are just waiting in the sun for them. Doesn't work that way.

I sit where I find a seat, too. There's always tons of them with people's crap on them right by the pool while they're off playing bingo, or eating, or sleeping, or walking around the ship. And no, the world doesn't revolve around me or my kids. But, the rules do when I'm following them.

Move your junk out of the empty seat, or I will hand it to an employee and have a seat. When we choose to leave, we will remove our things, even if we're just going to eat because that seat could be used by another paying passenger and it's the right thing to do. The end.

You are correct that if you wait 40 min or more and then remove the flip flops or other items from a chair you are following the rules. However, there are a lot of people responding here that say if they see flip flops on a chair, they just remove them no matter how long its been. As you say, rules should be followed and carnival says you have 40min before you have to give up your chair. People think that is too long, but carnival makes the rules and they should be followed. If people remove items prior to 40min, they are breaking the rules just like the real chair hogs.

None of my replies have any questionable suggestions of retaliation because that's not my style. I get the feeling that you're old enough to know that those who make those comments are the people you actually have to worry least about in real life situations.

I'm glad you've never had troubles with hoggers, but I do move things to be near my kids in the pool. That is my responsibility and I take it seriously. I can't let a flip flop in a "saved" chair keep me from watching my kids. I AM passionate about them and their safety, as well as the comfort of other cruisers around my children. :)

For me, personally, I wish the lines would do a better job of policing hoggers for this very reason. Parents shouldn't have to wander around to find a chair when there's 27 around the pool with magazines in them or a back flipped up. The employees of the cruise lines SHOULD take care of this, but, for now, they don't.

So let's say I am by the pool with no kids. I get up to get in the pool or use the bathroom. Does that mean you take my chair bc you have to watch your kids so you have more of a right to it then I do without kids?

So let's say I am by the pool with no kids. I get up to get in the pool or use the bathroom. Does that mean you take my chair bc you have to watch your kids so you have more of a right to it then I do without kids?

I don't think that is what she is saying. She is saying that if there are chairs there beng saved over the time allotted, then she will either remove or have an employee move the items and take the chair. I do not believe that she is randomly moving items on a whim.

Hello potty break! Is that an acceptable reason for someone to get up for a very BRIEF period of time????????

HELLO - Most passengers use the restrooms and return quickly, within 5-10 minutes, and they probably would be with other friends/family members so they would not have to worry about their chair being taken. Also more than likely the cruiser would have actual stuff with them, books, drinks, towels, not just one flip flop on a chair, or a lonely towel left in pristine condition guarding a prime chair at the pool or at the serenity area.

My point was this: NO CHAIR SAVING FOR ANY REASON EVER. In other words, passengers should not get up at 7 AM to reserve 10 chairs and then show up at noon, thereby saying their time is more important than everyone else on board that ship! And yes, when you go to eat your breakfast or lunch, that chair is now available, YOU ARE NO LONGER IN IT! What do you need it for? When you go to enjoy your food you will be sitting in another CHAIR in the dining room or buffet room! (now that passenger is taking up 2 chairs) and yes that is your choice to eat and yes 30 minutes is too long to save ANY CHAIR on ANY DECK .

The Lounge chairs on these ships DON'T BELONG to any single passenger and yet some cruisers behave like they do. Chairs are to be shared not guarded or hoarded.

CARNIVAL can you hear us? - NO MORE CHAIR SAVING !!!!!!

I have never actually run into a major chair hog issue, probably because I tend to frequent the lido pool and serenity during the less busy hours and find somewhere quieter during mid-day.

But I tend to see it the same as lounge chairs at our local pool, which are also in high demand on the hottest days -- You can leave your stuff on the number of chairs you actually expect to use during swim breaks. You can't stop by when the pool opens, drop a flip flop, and return to swim at 2 p.m. with a chair saved. You can't cover seven chairs with your stuff so your friends can sit near you when they arrive two hours later. You can save a chair while you swim, use the restroom, or grab a candy bar. You can't save a chair to go to brunch.

If I saw a chair that was clearly saved in violation of those rules, I would not hesitate to move belongings. But, since I'd rather relax and not stress on my vacation, I think I will continue to avoid the worst crowds.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

No. Also, if you'd read the thread, you'd have the answer to this question.

So what do you do if all the chairs are being used by actual people and you can't watch your kids? Just wondering bc you keep saying you NEED to be by the pool to watch your kids but what if you just can't bc all the chairs are taken?

I only bring a towel and my flip-flops to the pool. I put them in the chair while I swim or use the hot tub, and I may <gasp> be in there for awhile. I don't go eat or go back to my cabin to sleep. If you and/or your kids move my stuff, I'm going to voice my displeasure and call security on whoever took my things. So act entitled all you want, but you may want to ask yourself whether an unpleasant scene is really worth it because some people can be just as ornery and adamant as you are.

You are correct that if you wait 40 min or more and then remove the flip flops or other items from a chair you are following the rules. However, there are a lot of people responding here that say if they see flip flops on a chair, they just remove them no matter how long its been. As you say, rules should be followed and carnival says you have 40min before you have to give up your chair. People think that is too long, but carnival makes the rules and they should be followed. If people remove items prior to 40min, they are breaking the rules just like the real chair hogs.

Thank you. That flip flop might have been there for fifteen minutes while its owner went swimming. Maybe it's being used to weigh down a towel. No one knows, and it's rude to move it.

So what do you do if all the chairs are being used by actual people and you can't watch your kids? Just wondering bc you keep saying you NEED to be by the pool to watch your kids but what if you just can't bc all the chairs are taken?

In all the cruises we've taken our kids on (we don't always take them), that's never happened. We're usually out there by 10am and there has ALWAYS been saved chairs somewhere within sight of the pool, usually relatively close.

As previously stated, if the kids aren't with us, we don't care for the pool area and grab one of the many available chairs away from the pool to sun, drink and read.

The Breeze had the best towel hut attendents I have seen on any ship , always watching the chairs , Chair empty for 15 minutes , they were collecting the items left behind ,and helping those looking for a chair find an empty seat. They took the items to the towel hut where the offenders were told how it worked , a few days into an 8 day cruise , People knew not to leave something behind to hold a chair .

LOL on the fluffy blow up chair saver and the enough already frog...

I tend to think follow the 40 minute rule..both ways..until future notice on rule improvement, then help carnival employees..your reward may not be in this lifetime...but this is life...LOL..Sarah

Always try to find an easier area to get a chair with the spray bottle..I am so darn fair..it is scarey...20 minutes in Carib. sun and about done..I will find good shade and chair place..and take the spf 50 as well..LOL.

After reading here..it is an issue...my hard chair to find chair time Cabo cruise was not a one off I see.

Edited by sjn911