Chair hog solution?

KCMiller

As others have pointed out there are a lot of keyboard commandos out there! I recommend you all go to Syria or Iraq and take care of that pesky ISIS problem.:cool: On our cruises, I go to the upper decks and just walk down the length of the ship until I find empty chairs not surrounded by a bunch of people. I much prefer listening to the ocean than a bunch of people babbling about nothing.

I've never been disappointed in finding chairs in nice, quiet spots. You wouldn't catch me dead at the main pool and I've pretty much given up trying to find good seats in the "adult" areas except at night.

Is there a solution to the people out there who insist on "saving" chairs? Not really as you're dealing with entitled people and they are clueless and not the brightest light bulbs in the Christmas tree.:eek:

As others have pointed out there are a lot of keyboard commandos out there! I recommend you all go to Syria or Iraq and take care of that pesky ISIS problem.:cool: On our cruises, I go to the upper decks and just walk down the length of the ship until I find empty chairs not surrounded by a bunch of people. I much prefer listening to the ocean than a bunch of people babbling about nothing.

I've never been disappointed in finding chairs in nice, quiet spots. You wouldn't catch me dead at the main pool and I've pretty much given up trying to find good seats in the "adult" areas except at night.

Is there a solution to the people out there who insist on "saving" chairs? Not really as you're dealing with entitled people and they are clueless and not the brightest light bulbs in the Christmas tree.:eek:

Twinkling rather dimly...are the hoggers..the real hoggers...

Well said...

Edited by sjn911

Carnival is missing an opportunity here. Install parking meters at every chair. Increase the price per hour based on location desirability and peak hours. Want to hog? Pay the meter.. It'll cost you! Problem solved!

As WE seem to be taking more than 3 giant steps back these days...it may get to this..better than assault or stealing...AND IT WILL HAVE TO BE STEEP ENOUGH AND NO METER FEEDING..lol...

Edited by sjn911

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't entertain a fight with anyone. But I also won't stand holding all my stuff by the pool for an hour by all the saved seats watching my kid swim. If people were more courteous this wouldn't be an issue.

The Breeze had the best towel hut attendents I have seen on any ship , always watching the chairs , Chair empty for 15 minutes , they were collecting the items left behind ,and helping those looking for a chair find an empty seat. They took the items to the towel hut where the offenders were told how it worked , a few days into an 8 day cruise , People knew not to leave something behind to hold a chair .

I wish the crew on the Miracle (15-day repo and 16 day Hawaii) had been as vigilant. We were only able to get a chair, in the sun, on Serenity one time on each of these cruises, and never was able to obtain the coveted clamshells. We ended up using the forward pool and deck since it was less crowded, and met some wonderful people.

Hopefully the crew of the Pride (14-days in March 2016) are trained like the Breeze crew :) Would make for a better experience for all.

This problem happens on all cruise lines and all ships, not just Carnival. On our Disney Dream cruise there were always chairs next to the pool with a towel, a shoe, a water bottle, etc. We just moved everything if we didn't see anybody using the chairs. Same on the NCL Getaway.

The one advantage Disney had was the beach towels were readily available all over the ship and you weren't charged if they were lost. In fact, they would hand out beach towels as you left the ship for port and would simply collect the wet towels on the way back on the ship. No worrying about being charged was very nice. I don't understand why the other cruise lines make you keep track like that. It is just a towel.

By most responses like this you are most likely one of the chairhogs..Dennis

I'm not.

Now that my daughter is older, I don't have to go to the pool to watch her anymore. Therefore it is a non issue for me.

I just have a hard time believing that a chair by the pool is that important to some that they would fight over it.

I think is it wrong and selfish for people to put items on a chair that they have no intention of occupying until it's convenient for them, but I certainly would not get "into" it with them.

It must just be me.:confused:

I don't think this is limited to Carnival. I believe it is symptom of the "entitlement" thinking prevalent in our society nowadays.

I won't sound very PC by saying this, but I think the lower cost cruise lines tend to have a larger component of these "entitlement" thinking individuals. Not 100% but the bell curve definitely shifts.

Personally, I would talk to an attendant first, see if they could locate the "owner" of said chair and, if not found, have the remove the items for me.

My goodness. Sally and I used to cruise Carnival a lot with our kids because back then we believed Carnival was 2nd only to Disney for family friendly cruises. We stopped sailing Carnival a few years ago when they started making cuts and because we started seeing more of, well let’s say hostility among the passengers. Sally wants to try Carnival again and even signed us up for a cruise next year to see if things have changed. I don’t think I will suggest she read this thread.

Burt

I just have a hard time believing that a chair by the pool is that important to some that they would fight over it.

I think is it wrong and selfish for people to put items on a chair that they have no intention of occupying until it's convenient for them, but I certainly would not get "into" it with them.

It must just be me.:confused:

I 'm with you. I'm already on record saying that if this discussion is typical of todays Carnival cruisers, I have no desire to sail with them again.

Burt

I wish it were only about chairs by the pool. My last trip on the Fantasy, there were no chairs to be had. Period. By the pool, in Serenity, anywhere.

The only time I could get a chair was while we were in port.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a balcony to sit on that trip. [emoji25]

No sorry just don't think you can steal stuff and break noses because someone left a flip-flop on a chair

No one said anything about stealing. I just move the flip-flops over to one of the tables on the side and let them sit there. It is not my fault if someone's flip-flops fell off as they were walking past my chair. I just moved them to a safe spot where no one could trip over them.

I just returned from the Grandeur of the Seas (RC). If you aren't familiar they have an adult area, Solarium. Well this was new to me, towards the last few days of the cruise, I noticed people were now placing beach towels on the tables, like tablecloths. WTH!!!

When does the madness end?

Excuse me Mr./Mrs. Hog, if I need that table I will remove the towel, and if I don't need the table I may remove the just chairs from the table. In that case, I'll leave your towel in place. ;)

I just returned from the Grandeur of the Seas (RC). If you aren't familiar they have an adult area, Solarium. Well this was new to me, towards the last few days of the cruise, I noticed people were now placing beach towels on the tables, like tablecloths. WTH!!!

When does the madness end?

Excuse me Mr./Mrs. Hog, if I need that table I will remove the towel, and if I don't need the table I may remove the just chairs from the table. In that case, I'll leave your towel in place. ;)

This is an all new low. I hope this practice does not catch on.

I've only ever experienced rude people cruising with RCCL, Carnival has generally friendly people

I've cruised both lines and both lines have their doozies.

This is an all new low. I hope this practice does not catch on.

Oh, I'm sure they'll try, but remember, it started on Royal (to my knowledge).

I don't think this is limited to Carnival. I believe it is symptom of the "entitlement" thinking prevalent in our society nowadays.

I agree with this!

I won't sound very PC by saying this, but I think the lower cost cruise lines tend to have a larger component of these "entitlement" thinking individuals. Not 100% but the bell curve definitely shifts.

I do NOT agree with this.

Having sailed two different lines that cater to two somewhat different clienteles, I can unequivocally say that cost of the cruise doesn't make one a chair hog. Rude people are rude regardless of how much they spend. I have been cruising or going to all-inclusives since 2003. Chair hogs are not a new thing.

Anyway, Kristi, I'm with you all the way. You have the right attitude. I've done exactly the same things you have done. I will usually ask people in the area if they've seen the owner of the lone flip-flop first though before turning it in to lost & found. Hey, if there's just 1, it's obviously lost..... :D

If those "big talkers" on the keyboards have a problem with how it's handled by people like me or Kristi, then they're the problem.

And something I learned long ago, I make up a sign that says I'm away for a few moments to the buffet or washroom. (I usually don't get in the pool. And if I do, my wife will be staying in her chair.) I have encountered a problem in doing that just once. Jerks will be jerks no matter what.

I agree with this!

I do NOT agree with this.

Having sailed two different lines that cater to two somewhat different clienteles, I can unequivocally say that cost of the cruise doesn't make one a chair hog. Rude people are rude regardless of how much they spend. I have been cruising or going to all-inclusives since 2003. Chair hogs are not a new thing.

Anyway, Kristi, I'm with you all the way. You have the right attitude. I've done exactly the same things you have done. I will usually ask people in the area if they've seen the owner of the lone flip-flop first though before turning it in to lost & found. Hey, if there's just 1, it's obviously lost..... :D

If those "big talkers" on the keyboards have a problem with how it's handled by people like me or Kristi, then they're the problem.

And something I learned long ago, I make up a sign that says I'm away for a few moments to the buffet or washroom. (I usually don't get in the pool. And if I do, my wife will be staying in her chair.) I have encountered a problem in doing that just once. Jerks will be jerks no matter what.

I agree the cost and/or clientele has nothing to do with it. It has happened to us at all inclusive land vacations as well. Not just limited to ships. I also agree you can clearly tell if someone is truly using a chair or just randomly walked by and placed some items. I have never removed any placed items I just get there early and never had a problem getting a chair.

Just off the Imagination, there is a sign by the pool stating 40 minutes but staff does nothing. Went to a show and a guy was saving a whole row for his family, talked to an employee and he said he would look into it. Never showed up. Have one more cruise booked and then we are done with Carnival