Boarding in Rome

ajmj

The question should be what time is the latest you can board. Ship leaves at 8:00 pm. I'm sure there is a cut off time.

Surely, at least I hope, you are not thinking of doing a "quickey" tour of Rome before boarding? :confused:

With the plane arriving at 1:30 (and being close to on time arrival), and the ship sailing at 8 PM, you should have no trouble getting to the ship on time. However, you are cutting it close, especially if there are connections involved - we all know what can happen with those.

Edited by Paulchili

The question should be what time is the latest you can board. Ship leaves at 8:00 pm. I'm sure there is a cut off time.

There IS a cut off time (again, they are specific about it in the Cruise Personalizer), and it is serious business.

These days, if you don't arrive on time and the ship waits, YOU are responsible for any additional costs incurred.

BTW, this is NOT all about just "being on the boat", the ship has to fill out accurate passenger manifests, swear to their accuracy, and then transmit them to the Port Authorities before permission to Sail will be granted.

Edited by StanandJim

The last I heard, you are to be on board two hours before departure.

In March '09 I had to get a new passport on the day we were to board (in Miami, and we don't live there). Because of a snafu in letting me know that my passport was ready, we only boarded about 1-1/2 hours before the scheduled departure. Another couple who had been delayed because of bad weather in Boston was checking in at the same time.

Fortunately for us, the departure was delayed so that the ship could load the stores that would feed us for the next 7-8 days ... so we had no problem in terms of the 2 hour requirement.

I DID refuse to go to the boat drill since we'd just gotten on board and had been through the drill many times. And they let us ... I now know they should not have. Others have been tossed for that kind of infraction ...

Mura

Hi

you will need an hour (at least) to clear airport customs. Do book a taxi to pick you up from the airport and take you directly to the port.Depending on traffic this could take an hour or more. Why not go a day early and spend a night in a hotel?

"Google" Rome taxi's

good luck

regards,

Josie

The airport in Rome is nearer to the cruise port at Civitavecchia than it is to Rome. Being more than familiar with Rome traffic I second the suggestion above that you skip any thought of sightseeing in Rome and get a taxi to take you straight to the ship.

If you do decide to risk the sightseeing then perhaps you should leave your bags at the airport (if there are lockers/left luggage office etc - see on the FCO site) and take the train into Roma Termini and then look carefully at the subway lines to find something to see that you can do via the Metropolitana... then go back to the airport, get bags and take a taxi to Civitavecchia.

This question made me wonder about our late embarkation time but because we are using O's air, I think we'll be OK. I scoured our Cruise Vacation Guide, including page 4, and finally found in small print under the Ticket Contract near the back of the Guide: "...required to be aboard the Ship at least one (1) hour before the scheduled departure time."

On Oceania's website the FAQs state:

"When can I board?

Guests are required to be on board the vessel at least one hour prior to the scheduled departure time. Early boarding is available to guests booked in Concierge-level staterooms and above. "