Goggles and Glasses

joanie594

Traveling on the Celebrity Expedition this June. Will the snorkeling goggles provided onboard work with glasses-or should I buy some at home?

Have been snorkeling and diving for over forty years and have never seen snorkel goggles that will fit over glasses. There are quite a few snorkelers who will wear goggles over contacts. And many of us (including moi) simply purchase a pair of our own goggles that have corrective lenses. These are not as expensive as you might think (some are less then $60) and you can order them online from many companies (including through Amazon). We have found that the lens prescription (in diving goggles) does not need to be exactly the same as your actual prescription. So, for example, say one of your lenses is -3.15 you would probably be very happy with the off the shelf -3.0. Since the water distorts things to some extent, the slight variation in lens prescriptions does not seem to matter.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

OP -- do you, by any chance, wear contact lenses? I finally learned to snorkel earlier this year -- after long agonizing over the same question of how to see under water. I'm blind as a bat without my glasses, but I do have an Rx for disposable contact lenses (which I wear occasionally). Once I checked my rented snorkel mask, to make sure it was adjusted properly (no leaks) -- I had no problems at all with the contacts. I did bring an extra pair with me, in case something did happen -- but didn't need them. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

Traveling on the Celebrity Expedition this June. Will the snorkeling goggles provided onboard work with glasses-or should I buy some at home?

They are not provided onboard but are at most snorkeling places when you book an excursion.

They do sell them at the excursion desk.

Thanks for the replies. I do not wear contacts-but glasses for distance and mostly for reading. Anyone familiar with the TYR corrective goggle brand--very inexpensive online and apparently can send them a prescription that they can approximately match?

Does TYR make a snorkel goggle or is it just a swim goggle, which is different from a snorkel goggle?

Try Snorkel City, they sell goggles with corrective lenses that match very closely to yours. You can even get a different right & left lens. You input the correction on line when you are ordering.

The first few times I snorkeled, I took the arms off an old pair of glasses and sort of wedged them into the mask. It worked OK, but the field of vision was small. Probably OK for a one time deal. I have since bought a prescription mask and it makes a world of difference. I got mine at a Diver's Direct outlet in Key West, but they could have been ordered on line. If you go that route, make sure to read about the fit. Some masks work better on narrow faces, etc.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I have used contact lenses while swimming and it worked out great. You do tend to ruin the contact lenses faster though as water sediment gets in them and clogs the pores.

Wife used the excursion snorkels with contacts, without any problem. Do use dailies and not the monthlies.

Have been snorkeling and diving for over forty years and have never seen snorkel goggles that will fit over glasses. There are quite a few snorkelers who will wear goggles over contacts. And many of us (including moi) simply purchase a pair of our own goggles that have corrective lenses. These are not as expensive as you might think (some are less then $60) and you can order them online from many companies (including through Amazon). We have found that the lens prescription (in diving goggles) does not need to be exactly the same as your actual prescription. So, for example, say one of your lenses is -3.15 you would probably be very happy with the off the shelf -3.0. Since the water distorts things to some extent, the slight variation in lens prescriptions does not seem to matter.

Hank

Second this advice. I asked my eye doctor to give me a prescription to use for goggles and ordered mine off Amazon. Very easy to order. Can't remember the brand but they were around $50-60. They work brilliantly - what a world of difference this has made. I am really nearsighted and not only is the snorkeling itself great now, but I can use them to see once I have to leave my glasses somewhere else (e.g., when scrabbling over rocks to get in and out of the water).