Liberty engine issue

allydown

From talking with Oasis/Allure captains and engineering officers- I would think that the engine pattern those two ships set would become more of a norm. With two different sizes of engines, they are able to keep the running engines in their best efficeincy window far easier than if the engines were all the same size.

To the point that I would bet that IF (and I know that's a big if) another Vision/Radiance sized ship were made, it would be with 4 engines instead of 3 (and I'm ignoring the fact that Radiance ships run with gas turbines- as it's unlikely that anyone will go down that path again). Two pairs of sizes- thinking that normal operation will be one of each size, high operation will be two large. And low operation can be either one larger or two smaller. Basically, the flexibility that the different sizes pays off quite a bit. Especially over the life of the ship and the cost of bunker fuel.

That kind of arrangement has been around for quite some time. The Norwegian Sky has 3 7-cylinder engines and 3 6-cylinder engines, and was built (originally) in 1996. Some ships are going with the 4 or 5 engine layout, but I think the 6 engines is the best. It all depends on the propulsion and hotel load requirements, and the closest match to available engine sizes.

Considering that the LM2500 gas turbines produce 25Mw each, there are not that many diesels that reach this power rating, particularly in the space limitations of a cruise ship, so you would by necessity require more than 3 engines.

We just got back from our Belize cruise (March 1-8) on the Liberty and I don't know if it was due to the engines or rough seas but everyone was sick the first day at sea...also we woke up on our way to Mahagony Bay, looked out our balcony to a tug boat struggling to push us into the port, needless to say we didn't make it, something even broke off the ship or the tug as they tried. So we spent another day at sea, we only got $12.53 credit per person for that. When we were trucking along, it was maxing maybe 22 knots, is that good? I have no idea, it seemed pretty fast.

We just got back from our Belize cruise (March 1-8) on the Liberty and I don't know if it was due to the engines or rough seas but everyone was sick the first day at sea...also we woke up on our way to Mahagony Bay, looked out our balcony to a tug boat struggling to push us into the port, needless to say we didn't make it, something even broke off the ship or the tug as they tried. So we spent another day at sea, we only got $12.53 credit per person for that. When we were trucking along, it was maxing maybe 22 knots, is that good? I have no idea, it seemed pretty fast.

I think you are on the wrong Liberty thread, this is the Liberty of the Seas from Royal Caribbean. There is another forum for Carnival ships. I don't know, but I am guessing that the Carnival Liberty was not having any engine problems since you were doing 22 knots.

Did you have any spring break college kids on board? Didn't see anyone sick from the motion of the ocean, now alcohol poisoning, yes lots of that but it happened even when the ship was tied to a pier and not moving at all...:D:eek:

jc

You must have a twin called poolchairGuy or something. Oh well, add another one to the Ignore list.

Edited by dpostman

I think it is safe to say that all is back to normal (At least where the engines are concerned). Or we would have heard a lot more chatter about it.

Have a great cruise.

dp

Edited by dpostman

I'm suppose to head out on 3/23/15 on the 5day western. Has anyone heard the status of the engine issues?

While no one has confirmed that all 6 engines are in service, there are at least 5 of the 6 in service, since she has made full speed for the last cruise. It is fairly common for a ship to operate with one engine out of service for maintenance.

While no one has confirmed that all 6 engines are in service, there are at least 5 of the 6 in service, since she has made full speed for the last cruise. It is fairly common for a ship to operate with one engine out of service for maintenance.

^^^^^^^^

What he said. I'll take that as good as gold

dance.gif Since we are boarding on April 2nd thumb.gif

dp

Chengkp, what do you make of this post#49 below from the current "Live from Liberty of the Seas" thread? Just normal sailing? Sign of lingering trouble? We are on Liberty Saturday, I'm hoping it's a non-issue!!!

Does it seem the engine stuff is fixed? Had you clocked at 16k seems a tad slow?

Have you been making your ports?

Chengkp, what do you make of this post#49 below from the current "Live from Liberty of the Seas" thread? Just normal sailing? Sign of lingering trouble? We are on Liberty Saturday, I'm hoping it's a non-issue!!!

Marine Traffic has her in Jamaica right now, so I'm assuming she made her arrival on time. The ships do not go full speed all the time, they will adjust speed to make their advertised arrival time at each port. Again, the problem the ship had was with the diesel engines not the azipod propulsion system, and on the previous Western cruise, they made well over 20 knots (admittedly benefitting from the Gulf Stream, but that is always calculated in anyway), and no delays were noted on that cruise, nor on the current one. I don't believe there is any lingering problem.

Freedom, unfortunately, is experiencing lingering problems with their fixipod, but it has not affected itineraries, until a required part can be delivered.

Hard to believe they would use Windows 10 for the actual control of critical systems. More likely the Windows 10 is handling user interface, and an industrial type real-time OS and logic controllers are handling the critical stuff.

Cue the Apple Watch

Freedom, unfortunately, is experiencing lingering problems with their fixipod, but it has not affected itineraries, until a required part can be delivered.

I cant find it now but I read either here or on the C&A Facebook page that the Captain fully expected they will have Freedoms issue totally resolved on this current cruise. :)

I cant find it now but I read either here or on the C&A Facebook page that the Captain fully expected they will have Freedoms issue totally resolved on this current cruise. :)

I looked, too, because I saw a reference that they started repairs and needed further parts. That may have been on the cruise that ended the 9th? At any rate, most likely this cruise or next at the latest.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hope this gets resolved before we sail in August out of Bayonne - makes you wonder about the engineering when similar engine problems occur on more than one ship. We sailed on the Explorer last year with the same itinery - this is our first time on the Freedom class.

Hope this gets resolved before we sail in August out of Bayonne - makes you wonder about the engineering when similar engine problems occur on more than one ship. We sailed on the Explorer last year with the same itinery - this is our first time on the Freedom class.

We sailed on Liberty this past March and there were no engine problems to our knowledge. In fact, because of an unfortunate delay, we had to speed up to make port on time and had no problem.

We sailed on Liberty this past March and there were no engine problems to our knowledge. In fact, because of an unfortunate delay, we had to speed up to make port on time and had no problem.

Just got off Liberty on Saturday, still problem-free, smooth sailing and speeding right along when needed! :D