Aussie gold coins in Sth Pacific.

Wyuna1

Wondering if Aussie gold coins are acceptable in various Sth Pacific ports, particularly at island markets on Isle of Pines, Mare and Port Vila.

Aussie currency was accepted at markets in Lifou and Savu Savu, presumably coins as well as notes. Not sure about the places you listed - have yet to go to those ;)

Wondering if Aussie gold coins are acceptable in various Sth Pacific ports, particularly at island markets on Isle of Pines, Mare and Port Vila.

Using Aussie dollars in the markets will get you terrible exchange rates. Only worth doing if you are spending very little, not very often.

I don't really know for sure, but I suspect that Aussie coins would not be favourably received. I've never seen anyone dealing in them.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

I don't really know for sure, but I suspect that Aussie coins would not be favourably received. I've never seen anyone dealing in them.

I reckon your right - we have had people coming up to us heading back to the ship after a day ashore asking to change their Aus coins into notes as their banks would not accept coins. This was mainly in PNG, Solomons & Vanuatu.

My view is to leave the shrapnel at home. Take A$5 notes for use at market stalls on the islands & leave the change - these people have little.

On Mystery Island I bought a small souvenir which was marked $3. The lady started to give my change in local currency. I said no you keep it - the smile on her & her kids faces was worth much more than $2 (in local currency or Aussie dollars).

Also when the locals get together and sing for the tourists, just stick a few dollars in their 'donations' box - it'll make you feel good.

Happy cruising.

Edited by mr walker

My view is to leave the shrapnel at home. Take A$5 notes for use at market stalls on the islands & leave the change - these people have little.

On Mystery Island I bought a small souvenir which was marked $3. The lady started to give my change in local currency. I said no you keep it - the smile on her & her kids faces was worth much more than $2 (in local currency or Aussie dollars).

Also when the locals get together and sing for the tourists, just stick a few dollars in their 'donations' box - it'll make you feel good.

Happy cruising.

Nice. Notes are the best way whether AUD or USD, leave the change for the locals.:D

I think it was Noumea where we tried to use a handful of coins to pay for a tour (I think it was $15 AUD). They said they only took dollars. Took a bit to understand that they meant they only took PAPER dollars. That'd be great if you had a bunch of US dollars, I guess.

Then we tried to buy some stuff at the local stores. Nowhere let us use a card unless it was over a certain amount, not even the supermarket.

So, take paper bills and spend lots on your credit card.