Port of New York

dcscorp1

My husband, son and I are driving to New York from Maryland. Cruise begins on Sunday but we would like to drive up on Saturday and stay in the city overnight. Anyone have any recommendations for a decent hotel that may have a garage... Any info would be appreciated as we have only ever cruised out of Florida. Thanks so much.....

There are several hotels in Manhattan with garages, and many more with parking arrangements nearby, but no hotel in Manhattan is going to let you leave your car for free while you're on your cruise. For that, you will need to go to New Jersey. There are numerous posts that will explain all this. My advice would be to take Amtrak to/from MD and leave your car at home, unless you are willing to pay to park at (or near) the pier or negotiate the NJ options.

Oh sorry, I wasn't clear..... We were just looking for a hotel with a garage/ place to park for 24 hrs. before driving to the pier for the week. The whole draw for leaving out of NY was that we didn't need to fly or take the train, we could just drive up.....

Could you provide the exact date and your hotel budget? Three people, right?

I'm not sure if you are looking for a physical garage or just a hotel with parking. I would think that most NY hotels have some sort of near by parking arrangement and may even offer valet parking. Last time we went to an event at a NY hotel we just turned the car over for valet parking.

Edited by 138east

Do you have the need to actually stay in Manhattan for that one night...something you were planning to do or see? If not you may want to consider staying in NJ the night before in a town that's a short drive to Manhattan, where you'll likely save money on your hotel room plus park your car for free for the night you're staying in the hotel. Parking at most hotels in Manhattan is very expensive, even more than the $40 per day you'll be spending to park at the cruise terminal. And there are some alternatives to parking at the pier if you find $40 per day to be too expensive...including an option to park in NJ and take a ferry across the Hudson River to Manhattan, which could work very well if you're staying in NJ the night before.

Regardless of whether you're staying in Manhattan or NJ, to make recommendations it would be useful to know the date you need the hotel, bedding arrangements, and your budget. Prices and room availability can vary widely (and even wildly) at different times of the year.

Overnight hotel parking in NYC can easily cost $50 a night or more, with taxes/surcharges added - especially in Manhattan (there might be some exceptions or discounted deals)

In case you haven't read this 411, hotel on the New Jersey side of the Hudson River, at Newark Airport and downtown Newark/Jersey City tend to have lower & better rates, and parking is either free or inexpensive compared to NY - unless you plan to park, dine & do some sightseeing in Times Square or catch a Broadway show, etc. and don't mind paying the going $$ rates.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2163707&page=6

Over the weekend, hotels in the downtown Financial District/Wall Street area sometimes have decent special rates and/or follow the PL/HW route in getting a deal - free overnight, on-street parking in that area is POSSIBLE if you have patience & willing to drive around to look for a legal parking spot - especially after 6 or 7 PM on a Saturday, maybe walk a few blocks back to the hotel. Getting towed isn't fun & very expensive in NYC so ...

Please post your desired date/ship name & budget for rates and fellow CC experts can typically find something that fit your needs in a short while.

We are sailing on the Breakaway on March 29th, just the 3 of us, and my 12 yr. old is dying to see NY. We thought we'd go up early on Saturday, grab a few meals, walk around, shop, etc. before our cruise the next morning. So, yes, we are looking for a hotel with parking (either garage or valet) for the night before and then we will drive over to the port the next morning to board the ship. Will they even let us park before we check in? Not so sure... but our goal is to walk around and enjoy some sights on Saturday before heading out on Sunday. The cost is secondary..... we already know we're in for a few bucks (!) It's mostly the convenience (or inconvenience) that we're trying to focus on... Does that make sense?

Don't get hung up on the parking. I'd be focusing on a hotel deal. Right now Hotwire is offering a 4* Times Square hotel for 3 people for March 28 for $224 plus tax with a 90% approval rating. You can't go wrong with that. That will put you in the center of one of the prime tourist destination areas in NY. It is also located on the west side, so you won't have to drive all over Manhattan to get to the area. Whatever the hotel is, for sure you will be able to park your car somewhere nearby.

We are in the same situation, dcscorp1! We are driving up from Maryland to go on the Breakaway on March 29th. When we travel to NYC, we always stay in Jersey City, NJ. There's a Westin, a Doubletree, and a Courtyard right next to the Pavonia/Newport PATH station that takes you right into the city. It's very easy to get to from the Jersey Turnpike, and not far from the entrance to the Holland tunnel. I would suggest doing this, that way you can make the most of your saturday. Traffic going into the city is a nightmare. I'd save that for Sunday morning when you are going to the pier to park. We never have a problem checking into the hotel early. Hope this helps.:)

We are in the same situation, dcscorp1! We are driving up from Maryland to go on the Breakaway on March 29th. When we travel to NYC, we always stay in Jersey City, NJ. There's a Westin, a Doubletree, and a Courtyard right next to the Pavonia/Newport PATH station that takes you right into the city. It's very easy to get to from the Jersey Turnpike, and not far from the entrance to the Holland tunnel. I would suggest doing this, that way you can make the most of your saturday. Traffic going into the city is a nightmare. I'd save that for Sunday morning when you are going to the pier to park. We never have a problem checking into the hotel early. Hope this helps.:)

This is an excellent choice as well. We did a family three day weekend at the Courtyard last September and would highly recommend it. Valet parking was $18, but I believe its gone up to $22 - a great deal for us with two cars. PATH station is literally next door. Hotel has a pool and a cafe in the lobby. Lots of food options nearby. Rates for your date are $199 - about $226 with tax and cancellable. Driving in that area was much easier than drving in the city itself.

With a base in Jersey City, you could go by PATH to the 911 Memorial at the World Trade, take the subway uptown to Times Square, and return back to Jersey City from the Macy's/Herald square area on PATH. You can even drive to Liberty State Park and take the ferry out to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. We actually did that trip.

Hotel rates in the downtown Financial District is a little lower - Holiday Inn Wall Street @ 51 Nassau has a rate of $162 available for that Saturday + tax, parking is extra $40 - ones in midtown are in the mid/low $200'ish or not available + parking. The above one is served by several subway lines, very short walk to the 9/11 Memorial & 15 to 20 minutes to the (free) Staten Island Ferry for viewing the Statue of Liberty - and, for a change: dine in Little Italty/Chinatown or even the Village. HI in Long Island City is available @$155 + tax, self-parking is just $20 - but not as convenient, still just across the 59th Street/Ed Koch Bridge, about 20 to 30 minutes via local traffic cross-town to Pier 88/90, as a backup or those on a tight budget.

Didn't check Hotwires for downtown rates as it should be available for less depending on their occupancy level ... but, with Easter around the corner, book something 100% refundable as a backup first & continue to bargain hunt is what I would do.

This is AWESOME information!! Thank you guys so much.... Jersey sounds like the way to go (although my husband wants to stay in the city and get the "full effect.") Oh well... We might have to save that for another time. Thanks again!

Look at these videos of the Newport area of Jersey City made by Post Captain. If you walk around a bit you will have spectacular views of NYC.

To drive into the city you just take the Holland Tunnel and go up the West side on West Street and 12th Ave right to the pier.

PostCaptain

Here's a brief video showing a glimpse of of the Westin, which is located right across the street from a pleasant marina. (And there's a fancy restaurant on the marina property.)

And here's the Hyatt Regency and environs:

Another view of the Hyatt--as seen from the Hudson, starting at about 2:45 into this video:

I am flying into the LGA airport on Sept 3rd I am have issues finding hotels with airport shuttle and cruise port shuttles any ideas? wanting a good 3 star or better hotel by cruise port and some where were we can see the trade center memorial and other places like that .

I am flying into the LGA airport on Sept 3rd I am have issues finding hotels with airport shuttle and cruise port shuttles any ideas? wanting a good 3 star or better hotel by cruise port and some where were we can see the trade center memorial and other places like that .

No cruise port shuttles.

Airport shuttles only for hotels that are close to LGA.

Car service or cab is how you get around in NYC. There is also an airport bus into Manhattan from LGA. Public transit is tough from LGA to Manhattan.

What is your exact date(s)? Just Sep 3? What is your budget? What are your sightseeing plans?

Manhattan Cruiseport is not near the 911 memorial.

Edited by 138east

You do NOT want to stay by LGA if you can avoid it....same goes for JFK though there are some acceptable hotels.

You're better off arranging a car service into Manhattan, getting a place to stay there, and cabbing to a hotel.

The NY/NJ area is NOT like Fla. Cruising isn't as big a deal up here as it is there. Please, everyone, try to get OUT of the mindset of "free" airport and pier shuttles. No such animal really, with a FEW exceptions.....Free airport shuttle if you're by one of the airports up here? Sure, but to the piers? PROBABLY not - and some of the places that DO have this are places you don't want to go... Drop the "package deal" scenario and go from there...

Dates, budget, # of people and what you want to do and we can give you some ideas....

You can stay in Lower Manhattan and be close to the 911 memorial but not really near much else...or you could stay more midtown-ish and use cabs or the subway to get around.....

Compared to other places, cabs in NYC are not THAT expensive if you're getting around the city....

It looks like you will be in NYC Sep 3-7 which is Labor Day weekend. You are lucky. Hotel prices will be a lot less. Many hotels will have low occupancy rates so Hotwire prices will be very good.

Would you be willing to book a Hotwire hotel? IMO any 3.5* and up hotel with a high approval rating will suit. I'd look in the Times Square or Midtown Central area which will give you good public transit options and will be a $10-15 cab ride to the port. For three days you do not want to book a hotel close to the port because of poor subway access.

What is your hotel budget?

For business/leisure travelers with light luggages & carry-ons (that is NOT heavy, as going up & down stairs are necessary sometimes - when elevators are "out-of-service" for maintenance :rolleyes: - Q70 is very efficient and can get you into Times Square area from LGA terminal in 45 minutes, but 1 hour is the average for just $2.50 per person, using the faster E Train plus several other routes, especially off-peak on weekdays. On weekends & nights, some transfers involved but still not too challenging - and there's a free APP for that from MTA plus one for next bus's arrival time at your stop - GPS-based & accurate. Plus, it can connect to the LIRR at Woodside, which link with NJT, Amtrak & PATH trains to NJ and other key transit points.

In addition, M60 SBS serve LGA Airport, with limited stops in Queens into Manhattan's historic Harlem 125th Street corridor for subway connections - http://web.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/lga_analysis.html

It is a little bit more complicated for out-of-towners to use but reported to be quite fast & reliable as well, just FYI here - especially someone looking for budget travel options.

Car services / metered taxi fares into midtown Manhattan is about $40 to $45 plus possible EZ-Pass toll ($7.50 for cash, less for EZP) & tips - there are also Airporter Bus option, just like EWR & JFK.

Efforts are continuing to upgrade LGA into a better airport for domestic travel and there's a hotel construction boom in Queens for "affordable" & tourist-friendly rooms. There're quite a few "tourists" & several with luggages riding this No. 7 subway train at 10 in the morning & seated.

IMG_20140821_105020.jpg

IMG_20140821_105102.jpg