Live From: Emerald 3/1/15 sail date Western

Steelers0854

I've left from Galveston late for fog before. If you keep a clear, logical head that is weather and not the cruise lines fault, you will be much better off.

Hope you get onboard at 5 or so. Let us know about happy hours. I really would love to get 2 for 1 bottles of wine. Also any 50th anniversary details would be great.

Well put.

For us, if there is a repeat when we go in a couple weeks, I will stay home until we know they are processing folks. Since we are 45 minutes from the parking lot, no reason for us to crowd the terminal when those flying in may have no other place to go...same with getting off the ship if there is a delay, as long as we are off by mid afternoon, I will be happy since we don't have flights, DD on the other hand will be stressed about prepping for school next day.

There are several of us staying at the Quality Inn in Seabrook and the manager has granted a 2:00 PM time to leave the rooms. Normal checkout time is noon. So for any future cruisers who stay here, it appears it is hotel policy to help the pax waiting to board. It may be the policy of other hotels in the area.

The fog is starting to burn off as I can see more so things are looking up. Since we drove in and leaving our car in the parking lot, any delays to getting off next Sunday is not a big issue. It is a 3 hour drive home. They raised the speed limit on I-10 to 75 for most of the way which in Texas means at least 80 if not faster! :D

They raised the speed limit on I-10 to 75 for most of the way which in Texas means at least 80 if not faster! :D

If only the 18 wheeler drivers knew that...between S-burg and home on Friday about 5-6 times they pulled out going 65 to pass trucks going 64, so the process took several miles.

Glad your hotel is kind enough to give an extended stay in the room.

You can atleast see the ship from the holding lot 36f44072b6bce458cd39514d22a487c5.jpg

Nice. Looks better there than on the other side of Houston right at the moment.

How far away is the holding lot from the primary parking lot, and how did you find out about it?

We finally got of the ship a little before 2 pm. There were still a large number of people still on board. Our flight is delayed until 5:45 and that has worked out fine for us - Bush was a mess and we waited in line forever to check our bags.

Please keep us updated with your status - I just checked the web cam and it looks like the fog is starting to get worse as it's becoming hard to see the ship.

Good luck with the cruise and have fun.

We got off at noon and cleared customs by 12:30. Got to IAH just in time to check luggage but picked the wrong kiosk and by the time we found a functioning one it was too late. Took us over an hour to talk to an actual United agent who worked miracles and got us on a flight later tonight despite the fact that everything shows as sold out through tomorrow. Wish we would have opted for a back to back cruise - missing the Emerald already.

We got off at noon and cleared customs by 12:30. Got to IAH just in time to check luggage but picked the wrong kiosk and by the time we found a functioning one it was too late. Took us over an hour to talk to an actual United agent who worked miracles and got us on a flight later tonight despite the fact that everything shows as sold out through tomorrow. Wish we would have opted for a back to back cruise - missing the Emerald already.

I'll be on in 4 weeks and am so excited!

Glad you are getting a flight home. Understand how a b2b would be so much nicer.

Hope they get underway soon.

emerald_bridge.jpg?1425250541609

They told new pax to arrive at 5pm and later so it will be a few hours...probably at least 7 maybe 8 based on what I saw posted earlier of when folks should show up to check in and board.

Embarkation Part 1

We got from our car to our cabin in 30 Min or less. There was almost no line at check in and a 2 min line at security. This was by far the easiest boarding we have ever had. At 4:30 when we were checking in they said they had only checked in half the passengers. But our cabin Stewart said the muster drill will be around 6pm. Not even an hour after boarding our bags have already been delivered to the room.

Still pretty foggy here at the port. I'd say I hope we don't have any issues getting out but truth be told I'm on board and they could sail in a circle for all I care! :)

Here are today's patters. Please let me know if you can read them ok. If not I'll try and redo them. 220efec08b426ea313ce618f35c86e3a.jpgcf8387dbec935cb613d7bc66d2f438e0.jpgd344531f0bca7dca0c861d1e08508b08.jpgcb13ad2170368ae838ca0843900a4414.jpg

Galveston has so much fog, the Cruise webcam lost sight of the NOS just after it passed the Ocean Star Oil Rig.

Webcam watchers usually watch as EP passes through, but not tonight. The Cruise Cam and Emerald Cam are fogged out.

Per WX Channel forecast (not will necessarily really will happen) there will be dense fog in Galveston until between 10-11pm when as I can piece it together a rain line will move thru the area.

Can't tell from radar if that is accurate especially as it's several hours out still.

If they are correct, by the time ship is loaded etc...if Galveston Bay is clear maybe they can push off by 8 or a bit later...maybe they wait until Galveston fog is clear and depart after 10 or 11pm. I'd expect EP to get out tonight sometime though...likely should still be able to arrive on time to first port of call.

Here are today's patters. Please let me know if you can read them ok. If not I'll try and redo them.

Patters came through just fine! Thanks for posting! Makes me wish I was on a cruise right now...

Edited by undercat