Live From: Emerald 3/1/15 sail date Western

Steelers0854

I know I have started this thread a day early but, as always, excitement always starts before you leave! We always get to the city of embarkation a day early just because you never know what will pop up. Good thing we did as a snow storm blew through and canceled all the morning flights. Thankfully we had an afternoon flight, the skies cleared and we were one of only a handful of flights to get out. Needless to say it was a stressful morning!

This is DW and I's first Princess cruise as Platinum members so we are excited to test drive the priority boarding line tomorrow. We are staying with family tonight and driving to the port in the morning.

I will do my best to keep this a live from thread. I have heard from someone that's onboard now that the Internet is hit and miss. I will post information separate from photos so I can ensure that atleast some info gets out and if I have to I'll post the photos when we get back.

I intend to do my best and get the MDR menus for each dinner, lunch if possible, and the patters for each day.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. I have a feeling I will burn through 300 internet minutes fairly quickly.

To anyone else that is also in this cruise feel free to jump in and post alongside. The more the merrier in my book.

Off we go for sun and fun! Until tomorrow and embarkation day!

I know I have started this thread a day early but, as always, excitement always starts before you leave! We always get to the city of embarkation a day early just because you never know what will pop up. Good thing we did as a snow storm blew through and canceled all the morning flights. Thankfully we had an afternoon flight, the skies cleared and we were one of only a handful of flights to get out. Needless to say it was a stressful morning!

This is DW and I's first Princess cruise as Platinum members so we are excited to test drive the priority boarding line tomorrow. We are staying with family tonight and driving to the port in the morning.

I will do my best to keep this a live from thread. I have heard from someone that's onboard now that the Internet is hit and miss. I will post information separate from photos so I can ensure that atleast some info gets out and if I have to I'll post the photos when we get back.

I intend to do my best and get the MDR menus for each dinner, lunch if possible, and the patters for each day.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. I have a feeling I will burn through 300 internet minutes fairly quickly.

To anyone else that is also in this cruise feel free to jump in and post alongside. The more the merrier in my book.

Bon Voyage!!

If you compose your posts offline then post when you log in it helps with minute usage. ;)

emerald_bridge.jpg?1425178558750

I'm on Emerald right now and have been using my iPad all week in our cabin. Didn't seem to be any slower than using the ships' computers.

We had fantastic weather all week and a great cruise! Have a wonderful time.

We will be boarding the ship tomorrow as well. We are in a hotel near the port tonight having driven in from the west earlier today. Our only problem was the traffic in Houston but thankful for the beltway to speed around the city. It is cool here with some drizzle. Hopefully tomorrow will bring nicer weather. I have my laptop with me and will be adding to this as well as time permits which means usually late at night. I have sailed out of Bayport twice before and never really had any problem with the internet other than it being slow. I compose what I want to post offline and then go online to post it saving internet minutes. I also will try to answer any questions but do not post pictures.

Congratulations to the OP for attaining platinum. You will enjoy the perks. It appears there will be at least two of us posting actively so most questions should be answered.

Edited by satxdiver

We're looking forward to your report too, as we'll be doing this itinerary in a few weeks. Thank you for sharing and upping our anticipation levels!

I would like to know if there is still Zumba in the morning on sea days. And if they do the stargazing program.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by MJC

Heads up! The port of Houston has been closed since 1:30 this morning. We are currently at anchor outside of the port with fog and rain. Looks like you guys will be delayed boarding.

Just recieved this email.

EMERALD PRINCESS - MARCH 1, 2015 - VOYAGE DELAYED

Please be advised that due to heavy fog, Emerald Princess' arrival in Houston has been delayed. Guests with a Princess Cruise Plus hotel package or Princess transfer will receive embarkation details at their hotel or the airport. Guests with independent arrangements should not arrive at the pier prior to 5:00 PM as the terminal will be closed and guests will be asked to return at 5:00 PM. We will continue to monitor the situation and will communicate further updates as necessary. You may also contact us at 1-866-246-6761 for updates.

We will operate a progressive check-in schedule and ask that you arrive at your updated check-in time listed below.

5:00 PM - Baja, Fiesta, & Plaza Decks - Cabins beginning with B, F, & P 5:30 PM - Caribe & Emerald Decks - Cabins beginning with C & E 6:00 PM - Dolphin & Riviera Decks - Cabins beginning with D & R 6:30 PM - Aloha & Lido Decks - Cabins beginning with A & L

PASSENGERS

We're still being told to expect arrival at 11 am. Sorry you will be delayed with your boarding. Hope the fog lifts and you make it out this evening.

Edited by mek

Heads up! The port of Houston has been closed since 1:30 this morning. We are currently at anchor outside of the port with fog and rain. Looks like you guys will be delayed boarding.

Yeah before I went to bed, late last night the forecast and Galveston web cams didn't look promising for an on time arrival. Was surprised to not find EP speeding back for an early arrival to beat the fog.

At least now y'all appear to be just a few miles off your berth in Bayport.

Last year at Spring Break we sped back the last day and beat not only the fog, but also the barge wreck that closed down the channel for a few days. Did we ever get lucky on that one. Later in the day I saw that the channel was closed since early in the morning due to both fog and the crash.

Hope weather improves enough this afternoon to get the next crowd out on time.

We are docked. No announcements made yet about disembarkation but it seems like half the ship is walk off so it will take a while. Wishing those of you getting ready to board

a wonderful cruise - our's was fantastic before the fog!

We are docked. No announcements made yet about disembarkation but it seems like half the ship is walk off so it will take a while. Wishing those of you getting ready to board

a wonderful cruise - our's was fantastic before the fog!

Would be nice if those with tight flights could get off first instead of those with cars in the parking lot... Houston/Galveston attract so many local cruisers and those who drive in, it's always been a huge crowd of folks who walked off. At least for those who drove to the port the delay is only a few hours from when they could reasonably expected to get off the ship. Some who miss early flights this afternoon could be in for a far worse delay given weather delays this weekend around the USA causing flights to become messed up.

Despite y'all being at the dock the POH webcam still only shows fog.

We are waiting at the Quality Inn in Seabrook. Great to hear the walkoffs have started. We were surprised that the ship was able to make it to port. Both the port cam and ship cam don't show anything due to the fog. The fog certainly looks bad from the hotel. Looks like fog got us this time.

Sorry you have to deal with the weather today. Fog is very frequent here in Houston in January, February, and early March. Cold fronts from the north hitting the warmer Gulf winds. Hopefully, the Captain can make up any lost time prior to your first port.

Really looking forward to your postings, especially the patters and finding out which night will be the anniversary dinner. I'll be on the Emerald on the 22nd and can hardly wait.

Thanks,

I've left from Galveston late for fog before. If you keep a clear, logical head that is weather and not the cruise lines fault, you will be much better off.

Hope you get onboard at 5 or so. Let us know about happy hours. I really would love to get 2 for 1 bottles of wine. Also any 50th anniversary details would be great.