Asking stewards to not clean cabin.

summer slope

We have to remember that each steward is - for lack of a better word - patrolled by their supervisor who daily checks rooms / the steward's work on a random basis and who ignores most DND signs. This may contribute to their response when asked to not clean a cabin, especially for an entire day or 2. When I ask that our room not be cleaned, I also leave a note in a very obvious place in the room. If you do not want your cabin cleaned for a more than a day, etc, may be a good idea to have a chat with the area supervisor and cabin steward together.

I'm finding this quite hard to belive. Are you seriously saying they come into rooms with signs in the door? I doubt they would do this unless it had been in the door for 24 hours because they might not want to see what is on the other side.

But that's the point. I didn't want my cabin skipped. I think people must be very, very confused by my post but I have no idea why. I put my do not disturb tag out AFTER my room is cleaned NEVER before. I mentioned this in a previous post but I guess I wasn't clear or its being glossed over. Please see my post number 10 on this thread where I mentioned it.

Sorry

When I do not want my cabin made up I make a paper that will go into the key slot saying do not make up room today per my orders and if a problem please contact me. Yes the super does random checks to make sure all is being done .The DND sign only makes them have to check for the Make up sign being put out.

That's what we thought too - one less cabin to clean. We pre -paid the gratuities but wondered if the steward didn't know that and thought we were not going to tip him.

It's a health and safety issue. Not only does the cruise line need to check to make sure that a passenger isn't in distress, but it also needs to constantly verify that there isn't a problem in one cabin that could quickly spread to the entire ship.

When you consider that many cruise passengers stay in hotels prior to boarding the ship, it would be relatively easy, for example, for a passenger to unknowingly bring bed bugs from a hotel to the ship. The cruise line would want to discover a problem such as this as soon as possible. Same thing would also apply of passengers who become ill and do not report to the infirmary. I am sure that we can think of many more reasons.

It's a health and safety issue. Not only does the cruise line need to check to make sure that a passenger isn't in distress, but it also needs to constantly verify that there isn't a problem in one cabin that could quickly spread to the entire ship.

When you consider that many cruise passengers stay in hotels prior to boarding the ship, it would be relatively easy, for example, for a passenger to unknowingly bring bed bugs from a hotel to the ship. The cruise line would want to discover a problem such as this as soon as possible. Same thing would also apply of passengers who become ill and do not report to the infirmary. I am sure that we can think of many more reasons.

While I understand them checking for illness, I'm not sure bedbugs would be easily detectable.

While I understand them checking for illness, I'm not sure bedbugs would be easily detectable.

Yes, those little things are sometimes difficult to detect. We look for them at every hotel and cruise ship. They can take a couple of days to move from your suitcase to your mattress, which helps explain why the room stewards will really want to access your cabin a few days into your cruise.

Thanks for this helpful information.

There is a more morbid reason to check the cabins. It is common to have passengers die while on a cruise. This is simply because of the large number of elderly passengers.

igraf

I think to a certain degree they worry about bodily harm of the occupant(s), but also physical damage to their belongings and/or illegal activities.

I would assume on a cruiseship they would worry to see a DND sign all the time and therefore security and hotel management officers would also enter. :cool:

Edited by igraf

Good point. I'm generally out of my cabin by 8 or 8:30 and I'm happy as a clam when my cabin is clean when I get back. I never put out the do not disturb before the cabin has been cleaned, only after.

We do the same. On one cruise DH wasn't feeling very "peppy" so we explained the problem to the steward and would let him know when we left for breakfast or to go up on deck in the morning. He'd then clean the room while we were gone so DH could put the DND sign out for the rest of afternoon while he napped or enjoyed the balcony. We tipped the steward extra at the end of the cruise for going above and beyond to accommodate DH's needs. :).

Isn't this great? It is pretty standard on any HAL cruise that stops in Indonesia.

<snip>

I'm sure (at least I hope) they do the same when a ship calls in Philippines. :) How special to help the crew have as much time as

possible with their families.

Will the stewards only clean if you are out of the stateroom? If my husband and I want to spend time on the balcony, I don't think we'd mind if the room was being cleaned...

There have been times we stayed on our veranda while steward cleaned our cabin. He always asked if it was okay and, of course, it was agreeable for us.

The live reports from the WC indicate that many rooms have notes to "skip my room today and enjoy your family".

We did that on our last cruise - we saw our stewards working tirelessly from morning till night, so I put the following note on our cabin door - that way if a supervisor came along and checked on our cabin, they would know why it had not been done that day:

"Dear Dadang and Jono,

Please do not clean our cabin today, we are giving you the day off.

We know 1 cabin isn't much, but we see how hard you work

and hope it will help a little.

Sincerely,

Mr. & Mrs. P."

That evening at turndown, we were rewarded with double chocolates.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I don't know how one keeps the steward out of the room. On my HAL cruises I swear a steward is hidden somewhere in the room to immediately straighten the bed covers, rehang the towels, replace the use glasses, etc. :confused:

On another cruise, my husband contracted noro and was being a good doobie and staying in the cabin. Because the stewards save the cabins with noro until last (special precautions are taken), I ask my steward for a bottle of the disinfectant spray used so I could wipe down the sink, faucets, door knob or other contact points that we both used. My husband also had had problem with one of the manifestations of the virus and the sheets needed changing. I asked for sheets to change the bed as the steward would not be in the cabin for several hours.

The steward needed to get permission from his supervisor to let me clean the cabin and change the sheets. I told them if my work wasn't up to their standards, they could fire me. They thought that was funny.

They also smiled when they saw me cleaning the door knob on the outside of the cabin.

A good many years ago, probably in Las Vegas, I was told that putting out the Service Request sign was as good as an invitation for any thief to enter my room because I wasn't there. I should either not put any sign out or leave the Do Not Disturb sign out at all times. The people who are supposed to clean the room are able to go into the room and go in and clean regardless.

I do feel that cruise ships are safer in general than a hotel room but I still feel uncomfortable using these signs. If I want something special in the way of cleaning or skipping a day I tell my cabin stewart.

Good point.

When in many hotels, I often forego night turn down service as I'd rather put out DND and make it appear the room is occupied.

I don't put any card if I want the room cleaned during the day.

Despite energy waste, I sometimes leave the TV playing. :eek:

Edited by sail7seas

BTW, the World Cruise is currently in Indonesia, and many of the crew are getting family visits. The live reports from the WC indicate that many rooms have notes to "skip my room today and enjoy your family".

That's awesome!! :)

Back in 2009 on WC SAGA ROSE we experienced a major breakdown. Three days to limp back in Cebu. Expected at least four days to make repairs. As soon arrival all passengers were put into hotels. Good time! Local for tours etc, but as the cruise call due for Hong Kong would be cancelled so any passengers wanting to go to Hong Kong could fly over and stay in a hotel there and then come back. Meanwhile... on the way to Cebu, crew family flew in and booked local hotels... and any crew no required on board were able to have at least three days at home with their family. Everyone was quiet happy with the situation.

We continued the cruise to Da Nang then down to Singapore. Murphy's Law... we had another breakdown... just as ready to depart Singapore. This meant another three days in Singapore... and another three days in hotels ashore. Again, great time in Singapore and anyone making tours could go up Penang and some went up to Bangkok.

This time for the crew was no so lucky. Local regulation would not allow the crew to stay ashore... so we went to anchor for the repairs and everyone had to stay on board.

Our cruise continued.... had to skip a call at Muscat but by the time we got to Suez we were on time.