Princess Military Benefits

Saffir

I don't begrudge the vets who meet the qualifications. I think it's a wonderful thing for Princess to offer. But when Princess set up the offer, it defined the guidelines of who qualifies for the promotion. The OP admitted that he did not qualify.

I wondered about that as well since the form states a minimum of 2 years active duty.:confused:

Mike:)

I wondered about that as well since the form states a minimum of 2 years active duty.:confused:

The form states a number of ways to qualify. The form is a bit ambiguous in places. OP was medically discharged which would appear to qualify under 'medically retired'. In any event, it is Princess who determines who is eligible, not posters on an internet bulletin board.

As a retired veteran and a stockholder, I'm glad OP submitted the form. OP paid her dues and earned the benefit.

The form states a number of ways to qualify. The form is a bit ambiguous in places. OP was medically discharged which would appear to qualify under 'medically retired'. In any event, it is Princess who determines who is eligible, not posters on an internet bulletin board.

As a retired veteran and a stockholder, I'm glad OP submitted the form. OP paid her dues and earned the benefit.

You are correct it is Princess and not you that can interpret the qualifications.

There are many veterans and stockholders on Cruise Critic.:p

To the OP, thank you for your service and I am glad that Princess extended the OBC for your service.

I think it is a nice way to say thank you, and DH is also a vet. They do indeed keep the info on file for you and will automatically apply it on future sailings for you. In addition, if you happen to own at least 100 shares of CCL stock, you can also get an OBC shareholder credit. For a number of years, Princess has been allowing both OBC's on the same booking, instead of one or the other.

Bon Voyage.

You are correct it is Princess and not you that can interpret the qualifications.

There are many veterans and stockholders on Cruise Critic.:p

And, I certainly hope Princess would adopt a liberal interpretation of eligibility.

I think that much of the confusion is due to Princess employees who were never trained and don't know how to read a DD214, so they take the easy way out and award the credit to everyone who submits a DD214. Also, some disabled vets who qualify for some benefits but not medical retirement status receive a "dependant" ID card. I can remember when this program started, a number of military wives saw dependant ID cards as a qualifier and thought they should also be entitled.

I don't begrudge the vets who meet the qualifications. I think it's a wonderful thing for Princess to offer. But when Princess set up the offer, it defined the guidelines of who qualifies for the promotion. The OP admitted that he did not qualify.

A) Clearly I am a female. You can see this on my avatar.

B) Not my fault I was medically discharged before my first term of service was up.

C) Also not my fault that Princess awarded the OBC.

My original intention was to encourage other vets who maybe don't neatly fit the guidelines to also try for the benefit. I don't understand why you're being kind of really rude about this.

Keep in mind that the guidelines define the general requirements, but may not include all of the specific conditions where it might be given. The situation defined by the OP is somewhat unique. While the fact that they received a medical discharge, prior to be able to meet the minimum service requirement, together with an Honorable discharge, does not meet the requirements as listed on the web site, apparently is sufficient for Princess to grant the benefit when reviewed.

Especially since the OP did describe the nature of their service in detail, so it was not a case of them just sending it in and hoping no one would catch the service length.

If Princess included all of the specific circumstances where they might give the benefit, it could get very very lengthy. I would expect any medical discharge together with an honorable discharge would be sufficient.

B) Not my fault I was medically discharged before my first term of service was up.

My original intention was to encourage other vets who maybe don't neatly fit the guidelines to also try for the benefit. I don't understand why you're being kind of really rude about this.

Being a veteran who has used this benefit, as well as a shareholder, I think that you were correct to post. While clearly Princess did not address the situation of a medical discharge on the basic guidelines, clearly your experience indicates that it is appropriate. Others with unique circumstances with honorable discharges should follow your lead.

I think that much of the confusion is due to Princess employees who were never trained and don't know how to read a DD214, so they take the easy way out and award the credit to everyone who submits a DD214. Also, some disabled vets who qualify for some benefits but not medical retirement status receive a "dependant" ID card. I can remember when this program started, a number of military wives saw dependant ID cards as a qualifier and thought they should also be entitled.

I might agree if the OP had just sent in the document. However, she clearly states that she sent in details about her term of service and the nature of her discharge. That means that the person receiving it clearly had information on term of service and the reason it was short and approved it.

A more reasonable interpretation is that the web site does not contains all of the possibilities for approval, only the common criteria.

And it was a good thing that you did. You should be commended for your attempt to help other veterans. The bottom line is Princess thinks you qualified and I would disregard any one on this thread with a differing opinion.

Personally, I believe Princess has a specific group of employees who handle this benefit. I believe Princess has trained them in how to read a DD214 and in the requirements to qualify for this benefit. You earned it an you should enjoy it.

I also received this kind benefit on my very first and only cruise just a week ago. Thank you Princess.

I used a travel agent and she did not even know about this benefit but I found it on the Princess website and I submitted my DD214 and received my OBC.

We had an awesome time and want to cruise again but I would like to cruise out of Galveston instead of Houston (less chance of fog delaying trip).

I would have to use Carnival because Princess does not cruise out of Galveston.

Since Carnival owns Princess and I am on a budget I emailed Carnival and asked the simple question of 'do they offer veterans the OBC like Princess does?' An agent from CCL called back and wanted to quote me a price on a specific cruise date and cabin? I told him I was not ready to book and was just asking a simple question, I thought. He finally said that he really did not know if they gave a VA OBC but he had not heard of it.

Does any one know if Carnival or any other cruise line gives a military veteran incentive to cruise with them besides Princess.

Thanks in advance my friends.

I also received this kind benefit on my very first and only cruise just a week ago. Thank you Princess.

I used a travel agent and she did not even know about this benefit but I found it on the Princess website and I submitted my DD214 and received my OBC.

We had an awesome time and want to cruise again but I would like to cruise out of Galveston instead of Houston (less chance of fog delaying trip).

I would have to use Carnival because Princess does not cruise out of Galveston.

Since Carnival owns Princess and I am on a budget I emailed Carnival and asked the simple question of 'do they offer veterans the OBC like Princess does?' An agent from CCL called back and wanted to quote me a price on a specific cruise date and cabin? I told him I was not ready to book and was just asking a simple question, I thought. He finally said that he really did not know if they gave a VA OBC but he had not heard of it.

Does any one know if Carnival or any other cruise line gives a military veteran incentive to cruise with them besides Princess.

Princess is the only cruiseline I am aware of with an actual OBC although some offer a veteran's "discount" on the cruise fare. The times I've checked that discount it was not nearly as good as the Princess OBC program for veterans & was not combinable.

Keep in mind that the guidelines define the general requirements, but may not include all of the specific conditions where it might be given. The situation defined by the OP is somewhat unique. While the fact that they received a medical discharge, prior to be able to meet the minimum service requirement, together with an Honorable discharge, does not meet the requirements as listed on the web site, apparently is sufficient for Princess to grant the benefit when reviewed.

Especially since the OP did describe the nature of their service in detail, so it was not a case of them just sending it in and hoping no one would catch the service length.

If Princess included all of the specific circumstances where they might give the benefit, it could get very very lengthy. I would expect any medical discharge together with an honorable discharge would be sufficient.

I agree with the above statement. Princess is very likely going to award the OBC to anybody who has an honorable discharge and who was medically discharged from the service. I don't believe it was their intent to inquire into each and every circumstance that brought about the medical discharge.

Is the "sticky point" for some people here whether or not the OP receives retirement pay? (Not being snarky here. I am honestly curious if this is why some might perceive the OP as not being eligible.) According to the Princess form there is NO required length of service qualification for the medical discharge.

======================================================

(Retired personnel defined as:

A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service,

B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled.

======================================================

As a shareholder (admittedly only owning the requisite 100 shares for the OBC) I certainly don't have a problem with the OP receiving the benefit.

I would suggest you should ask that question over on the Carnival forum. I'm afraid you will find that Princess has the best discounts for military of all the cruise lines. You can thank Mr. Buckelew for that.

Killjoy is a word that comes to mind for those questioning her about why Princess issued her OBC based on a medical discharge.

She is excited about her first cruise & decides to share it with anyone else in the same situation only to be met by questions about her eligibility. She shouldn't have to defend why she was given the OBC & to me it's embarrassing for her to be treated this way on CC.

Just ignore the rude (the only one BTW) poster and enjoy your Cruise. Bon Voyage...

Carnival may give a discount on some cruises to veterans, but does not have an OBC program like Princess.

Carnival may give a discount on some cruises to veterans, but does not have an OBC program like Princess.

This has been our experience. We've been on 2 Carnival cruises - one we received a very nice discount on an aft corner balcony. The second - nada - no discount at all.

Same mentality as the person who assumes a peacetime soldier is somehow worth less because he or she didn't get shot at.

"But you weren't in combat"

I take my 83 yr young dad on a cruise once a year. We have one planned in November. He was in the British Army and I never thought of asking for Military rate or OBC. He has no proof of this, do you think they would allow ?

They would if he had some paperwork.

I take my 83 yr young dad on a cruise once a year. We have one planned in November. He was in the British Army and I never thought of asking for Military rate or OBC. He has no proof of this, do you think they would allow ?

They would if he had some paperwork.

As Colo said, he will need the paperwork. He should be able to obtain it fairly easily though. There are plenty of UK cruisers here on CC. If you or your dad don't know who to contact one of the other UK folks here could give you the info. The credit is well worth the effort of getting and submitting the documentation.

6 days or less: $50 per eligible person

7 - 13 days: $100 per eligible person

14 days or longer: $250 per eligible person

Hi Maggie

My husband did his 2 years National Service in the British army and we applied for the military obc for the first time this year and no problems, he was granted it. He had no proof, I.e discharge papers but we contacted the MOD in Glasgow - got the address off the internet and filled in the information on their on line form and they then sent him his proof of service, which we then e-mailed to Princess at the e mail address which can be found on the princess website under "military benefits". We received our extra,credit within a few days and now have a total of $350 on our b2b cruise in July.

Well worth having, and we were only upset that we did not know about this benefit before.

Definitely, go for it. Good luck.